Odd electrical problem

RichMk3

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a strange issue that's developed tonight, I'll try and explain as best I can...

Got in the car to find the interior light didn't come on, but does work if I switch it to the on position. None of the electric windows work from any switch, and the driver's door doesn't lock off the fob, but all the other locks work.

Any ideas where I should start looking as the Mrs is gonna be on me about it!

Ta

sounds like a module failure chap to knock out all those functions, have you run vcds to see what errors have been logged and what modules are showing faults.

do any of the window switches work , or is it just the driver door switch bank that's not working?
Possibly a wiring issue but cant see it would knock out all those circuits unless it had damaged the loom to the drivers door.
will the interior light come on from the front passenger door ?
May possibly be a wiring issue to or in the driver door ,but i'm swinging more towards a module/controller issue.

Sounds like one of the wires between the A Pillar & Door has snapped inside the rubber sheath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're getting excessive water in the car, especially on the drivers side then you may have to change the convenience module which is under the seat. You don't have to remove the seat but you do have to pull the carpet back quite a bit to get to it.

Also, like stated above, a wire may have been cut or come loose.

surely it would need to be several wires cut then as his doors , windows and int lights are not working, i'd thought more of a module problem as it effect numerous functions.

surely it would need to be several wires cut then as his doors , windows and int lights are not working, i'd thought more of a module problem as it effect numerous functions.

Not really as it could just be the earth that's gone. But if one cable has gone there's no reason why a few have gone.

Everything is now internal for say the Interior Lights.....there's no more pin switches on the A pillars now. These now work via the locking mechanism on the B7's.

Thanks for your help guys. Turned out to be two broken wires inside the loom from the body to the door, inside the rubber shroud. Stripped it down and soldered them back together and all is now good!
IMG 20171221 13502517401

Reactions: carlcall
Glad you got it sorted out pal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this problem in my old b6 I had to rewire the whole lot go right under the dash to get enough wire and use block connectors in the door as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk