2.0 TDI Poor MPG?

ashwales

Reaction score
Computer says 42.5mpg average, doing my own calculations using trip computer im getting 44mpg I do half motorway and half town, not a heavy foot, I was expecting 50+ from this car???

Your calcs. are more accurate. 44 is pretty good. You don't say which year car or engine code you have, Quattro and newer DPF cars use a a bit more juice. As well.

Computer says 42.5mpg average, doing my own calculations using trip computer im getting 44mpg I do half motorway and half town, not a heavy foot, I was expecting 50+ from this car???
I have the same engine but not getting great mpg figures, most likely down to the weather being cold at the minute.

50-55mpg average normally though. It will have a dpf if its a CR140.

I have the same engine but not getting great mpg figures, most likely down to the weather being cold at the minute.

50-55mpg average normally though. It will have a dpf if its a CR140.

Right done 3rd trip now I basically get 150 miles for £20 which works out at 41mpg which I think is crap, my 330D only got slightly less!

Right done 3rd trip now I basically get 150 miles for £20 which works out at 41mpg which I think is ****, my 330D only got slightly less!

I wouldn’t worry, your engine will take long to get fully warmed up before it’s at its most efficient state. Mine has been terrible this last month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t worry, your engine will take long to get fully warmed up before it’s at its most efficient state. Mine has been terrible this last month or so.

I don't think it likes the cold :astonished:

Diesel is thicker due to the cold thus doesn't burn as well - very common to have 10% worse mpg in winter.

Might be a stupid thing to suggest but have you checked your tyre pressures? My mpg was down and it turns out my front tyres were 10psi under inflated

most likely factor is the cold weather, I can lose around 80 miles off a full tank at this time of year

Is my temperature sensor faulty? it never sits bang on 90 even after say 30 miles or driving? I remember my TT having that fault before :eek:

Is my temperature sensor faulty? it never sits bang on 90 even after say 30 miles or driving? I remember my TT having that fault before :eek:

I’d say that either the thermostat or coolant temperature sensor are faulty, the dash gauge should always read 90 once thoroughly warmed up and not deviate from that temp.
Regarding mpg, I achieve a regular 46-47mpg from my car.
It’s a remapped 140 PD (so a bit different to yours) and my daily drive is an 80 mile return trip which is mainly motorway.
If I try and stick to a constant 70 then I can get it to the very high 40s but tbh the car is too much fun to drive like a geriatric and so I have to live with the consequences,lol.
I do think the older models were more economical as my old B5 A4 TDI could achieve 55mpg on a long motorway run, but it wasn’t anywhere near as quick (or fun!) as the A3 is.......

My f30 330d is giving me 40/45 miles to a tenner in this cold weather whereas my old vectra 1.9 cdti and a3 2.0 tdi pd used to give me 55/60 in the same conditions.

Your MPG isn't what would be considered worryingly low for the time of year, but yeah your temp should be reaching 90 on the dial especially after 30 miles, The thermostat is probably the cheapest place to start, under a tenner I think, and it will help fuel economy if the engine reaches temp

my MPG's have been really really ***** since changing my fuel filter... not sure if a terraclean might help if its an injector being sticky (2.0 tdi 09)

my MPG's have been really really ***** since changing my fuel filter... not sure if a terraclean might help if its an injector being sticky (2.0 tdi 09)

I'd recommend running a bottle of fuel additive through it first. it's much cheaper!

Terraclean appeared to be raved about over the last few years but more lately many people are actually saying it's making little or no difference.

Always been very pleased with the fuel economy on my 2010 2.0TDI CR 170. Typically fuel economy is showing on the dash display as lower 50s on A road runs and on longer motorway runs it shows over 60 MPG. On a recent run to Yorkshire from Somerset, I set a record of 70.4 MPG on the display towards the end of the journey. The only time my display shows MPG in the 20s is when the engine is cold.

Details
Mileage 87,000 (general evidence suggest diesels give poorer economy on new engines)
Standard OE Map, DPF and EGR system. Not had the recent recall/emissions remap
Car is manual, FWD not Quattro
Serviced by me with fresh fuel filter, air filter and engine oil
Every now and them (and on the recent 200 mile trip to Yorkshire) I run a half bottle of diesel Reddex through the system
Last year I replaced all discs/pads and cleaned the sliders - the front sliders were previously sticking slightly after braking and were fairly contaminated with baked-on brake dust.
16 inch wheels with pressures 38 ft/lbs Fr and 34 rear

My engine does take longer than a petrol one to warm up and at temperatures below 8c sometimes struggles to stay at 90C

Somebody above said that their economy worsened after a fuel filter change. This is very strange. Not wishing to be patronising (I had fuel leakage problems myself) but are you sure you are not leaking a small amount of diesel? I found that the new o-ring and fuel filter canister top tricky to replace. The o-ring needs to be lubricated with something like Vaseline and the lid pushed on very squarely. I found that it was a tight fit and that lubricating it with just diesel still made it difficult to slide into place without twisting - resulting in a slight leak. The one I removed had been changed by an Audi dealership and even that had a slightly damaged o-ring.

Reactions: spencer361 and Dannymoto
CR170 S-tronic...60mpg + on motorway, had seen it top 70mpg before AMD fitted a cambelt lol

Knocking round 45mpg is about right..

23mpg in a CR170? You've got some issues there or like to drive like a proper moron lighting the tyres everytime you pull away

CR 170 Quattro, DIS says 42 mpg over the last 38,000 miles. Round town I'm hitting 38-40 mpg and on a run 46-50. lucky if I get 520 out of 55L

Nowhere near as economical as my old 07 FWD BKD with a darkside turbo. that was always 50 plus and 600 out of 53L

Somebody above said that their economy worsened after a fuel filter change. This is very strange. Not wishing to be patronising (I had fuel leakage problems myself) but are you sure you are not leaking a small amount of diesel? I found that the new o-ring and fuel filter canister top tricky to replace. The o-ring needs to be lubricated with something like Vaseline and the lid pushed on very squarely. I found that it was a tight fit and that lubricating it with just diesel still made it difficult to slide into place without twisting - resulting in a slight leak. The one I removed had been changed by an Audi dealership and even that had a slightly damaged o-ring.

I did double and triple check just in case and did the nuts up as tight as possible (without being daft) and couldn't see any liquid on the paper towels I was using to test it
However, the day after I did the full service it went to Audi for a cambelt and waterpump change. Could they have borked something causing this issue?

Car doesn't feel down on power or anything like that??

I did double and triple check just in case and did the nuts up as tight as possible (without being daft) and couldn't see any liquid on the paper towels I was using to test it
However, the day after I did the full service it went to Audi for a cambelt and waterpump change. Could they have borked something causing this issue?

Car doesn't feel down on power or anything like that??

The screws on the lid just stop the lid being pushed off by fuel pressure in the filter canister - the o-ring is a tight fit. I guess you would have noticed a leak my now, I noticed mine the next morning.

If the cam belt was changed by Audi (as mine was) they must have all the special in-house tools to lock everything down before removing the belt so it seems unlikely they would get the cam timing out. Maybe they automatically did your "emissions scandal" ECU update which might have an adverse affect on economy??

yeah thats true, or at least you would hope, however in my experience I've never had much luck with main dealers... even back to my Vauxhall days....

and they better not have done the update, does anyone know a way of checking? As I did make it very clear to them I didn't want it doing

If there is an issue I dont think its a "bad" one but more likely they haven't reset the timing on the fuel pump or something like that as I know a mate who has done cambelts and had to reset some values in VCDS before (just a shame he aint available anymore)

hmmmm - think i'll run some redex at a pretty strong mix and see if that does anything

You'll know about it if you've had the update/ 'fix' done, as it will run like a rusty bag of nails and sound like a valve is about to pop through the bonnet

Same here mate I was expecting a lot more mpg on my new a4 b8 143 tdi than I’m getting but I am very disappointed with it I have had it about 6 month now before I bought this I had a b6 and that ran on fresh air once I filled it up I was never at the petrol station but since I have my new a4 b8 i never seem to be away from the place as I like to keep it full which always seemed better on the b6 I was expecting the same from the b8 or just a little less with the 2.0 engine but how wrong I was

Regarding your temperature not getting to 90 - My A3 CR140 would struggle to get there and when I put heaters on would drop slightly.
I changed the thermostat with a genuine Audi part (Around £35) and now it gets to 90 quickly and stays there.

MPG over 5,000 miles 46.3 on dash. Actual 44mpg

My DIS tends to tell me about 62 as an average, but it lies. 55mpg over a tank is my long term average. currently on 98,000.

Journeys to work etc, 10miles b roads, 10 miles A roads, then back to B roads through the town. about 35 minute journey time. Usually sit at 60mph on the A road, no sense in going quicker, as at the end of the A road, I only have to queue for a major junction.

During the winter it takes about 20 mins for the water temp to get up to 90, one journey the oil never showed on the DIS...... temp was that poor, good days will see the oil at around 90 or so within 20 minutes, and water within around 7-8 minutes.

Right there is definitely something wrong, when I first fill up computer says 210 miles, then after about 10 miles of driving it ends up at around 165, but true result i get 135 with £20 which works out at 37mpg! Total rubbish, what can I check?