TFSI Intercooler insitu flushing.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Right then chap, I need to flush through my nasty oiled up intercoolers next week but don't really fancy removing them or stripping half the front end down to take them off, so, i'm planning on doing an insitu flush .
Now from my thinking , if I disconnect the two upper pressure hoses and them rejoin them with an adapter , which also has a hose port fitted , I will then have a closed loop of all the hoses and both interoolers,
then add engine dergreaser into the port and then pressurise with warm water and let it get to work , leave for a few hours and then rinse through with clean water and let it drain from the bottom intercooler ports.
Now does this sound like a plan , just need to decided on the best drying method, so if anyone can suggest one please let me know.
if there is any down side to this plan i'm open to other suggestions.

rob

Id had the same idea and was advised against it, if your gonna have it up and covers off might as well take the bumper off and few bits to get the intercoolers out theyre not held in as far as i know .... mine need a good flush too after my turbo **** itself internally im on doing a carbon clean as we speak ! Theyre filthy makes me wanna get a catch can amd im on sticking S3 injectors in and my rs4 fuel prv while im on mines got a decat and map so im hoping these adjust ok and ill also throw my bigger 3.0tfsi throttle body on too saw your other threads and i thought youd appreciate the other bits going on :p

Id be happy doing an in situe flush if i had enough time to dry and blow it out but to do it proper id say youd need a hellish degreaser and agitation with shaking more than anything i think you wouldnt get everything with a purely chemical flush, cant even have hot solvents for the hoses could if you had the intercoolers off though

Much better to remove the intercoolers and do the job properly. When cleaning the intercoolers on previous cars I have used diesel to clean them out. Close off the one outlet and pour half a pint of diesel in, aggitate by shaking it for a few minutes and then pour it out. I then used Gunk which is water soluble to get the rest out followed by a rinsing through.
The problem with doing in situ is the chance of water remaining in the system somewhere. It only takes a small amount to hydrolock an engine and you don't want that.

Thanks chaps for the feedback, since I have added extra work now to the old bus which includes the bumper removal I may aswell whip it all off and do it properly.
thanks for the replies chap, very greatfull.

rob

Reactions: Diddy2480