Driving Auto in snow

4WD with winter tyres is a great combination in this weather.

Managed to embarrass a Merc AMG C63 up a motorway slip road, he started it but I finished it as he tried to get his 500NM of torque down at +2deg on a grimy surface.
The V8 sounded awesome as I shot past :laughing:
On a dry summer day I probably wouldn't have seen which way he went..

Reactions: Rideen
A few years ago I was in Germany for the Christmas markets, with my wife. It was -25C. Gritting does not work at those temperatures. So, the roads were permanently covered in ice. Strangely there were lots of rear wheel drive BMWs and Mercedes. How are they able to manage those cars in proper winter conditions? Why are they not all driving four wheel drive vehicles? What do the Germans know about driving rear wheel drive cars in the winter, that we Brits don't know?

It's all about the tyres!

My parents own a Merc. When there is snow or ice, it does not leave the garage. The first time it snowed my dad said, "this is the worst car I have ever driven in the snow." Why do people think it's the car! IT'S THE TYRES.

Dad admits himself that his old Land Rover was also terrible in the snow. Even with 4WD. This is because the tyres where cheap 'no name' ditch finders.

I don't disagree, but this guy has, and will keep, summer tyres

Reactions: Tom.H
This is my A2 on the driveway one year ago. We live in a suburb to Stockholm and as you can see, we can get a lot of snow.

and
My comments from a Swedish perspective:
  • 4WD improves driving away from stand still and also improves lateral stability at higher speed. Even if it is easier to get up to speed it does not help you at all to reduce the speed. Deceptive
  • Winter tires is a must on ice and snow and also a legal requirements during winter months. sand
  • Waking up to more then 10 centimetre fresh snow is a joy and I try to get out and drive before the snowplow and the sand truck ruin the fun.

Rsz dsc00205

Reactions: AL_B, DW81, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
I am only a recent convert to the Audi world but my past experience led me to fit Cross Climates on the S3 back in March. No snow in MK yet so I don't know how they will work on snow but they have been really good all summer.

I have been using two sets of tyres/wheels for the past 9 years. I currently have Conti 850/860 on one of my 2WD Cavaliers, CC on the other. MK is not likely to see the snow that dumps further north so that is not why I buy them. My reason is that they are optimised for low temperature and they make a big difference on cold, wet nights especially after a dry spell.

Whilst the CC worked very well on the Cav last winter, the CC are an experiment. We will see how it goes.

Incidently, the only real cure for ice or packed snow are studded tyres, not allowed here. Apart from giving grip they also cut up the ice etc which makes it easier for normal winter or all season tyres to work. They also do serious damage to roads once the ise/snow has gone, especially when fitted to heavier than pet/diesel electric cars. Starting to be a real problem in Norway.

Reactions: AL_B and Fatbloke
I am only a recent convert to the Audi world but my past experience led me to fit Cross Climates on the S3 back in March. No snow in MK yet so I don't know how they will work on snow but they have been really good all summer.

I have been using two sets of tyres/wheels for the past 9 years. I currently have Conti 850/860 on one of my 2WD Cavaliers, CC on the other. MK is not likely to see the snow that dumps further north so that is not why I buy them. My reason is that they are optimised for low temperature and they make a big difference on cold, wet nights especially after a dry spell.

Whilst the CC worked very well on the Cav last winter, the CC are an experiment. We will see how it goes.

Incidently, the only real cure for ice or packed snow are studded tyres, not allowed here. Apart from giving grip they also cut up the ice etc which makes it easier for normal winter or all season tyres to work. They also do serious damage to roads once the ise/snow has gone, especially when fitted to heavier than pet/diesel electric cars. Starting to be a real problem in Norway.

We have the same problems with studs wearing out the roads in Sweden. But we have Nordic friction tyres with a softer rubber compound that works better than the continental winter tyres on ice. I had Conti 850 on my A7 and I really liked them!
On my A3 I have Continental Viking Contact 6 on AEZ Cliff High gloss 8x18 rims
Rsz 20171028 153943

Reactions: AL_B
I thought BMWs were supposed to be locked up in this weather, looks like this one didn't get the email
I don't think anyone was hurt thankfully.

Pic

Having fun with the S3 though, didn't even have to Photoshop the number plate out

Pic2

Reactions: AL_B and Tom.H
This video is from a few years back. Like I said - tyres give grip, not the drive system.

"The moral of this story is: fit winter tyres, it's cheaper than fixing the damage!"

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Rideen
Again......Tyres, Tyres ,Tyres!

They are the most important feature of ANY car

Reactions: DW81
In 2010 I got a set of 16" steels and Continental WinterContact TS830 tyres for the Skoda VRS sledge. The difference in driving in snow was amazing. After an hour "test drive" I ordered another set for my astra van. Again it was transformed. We have used them every winter since. The VRS is now on Conti TS850 tyres (on a new set of 16" alloys) and having sold my van and recently got my A3 DTI quattro I have a set of 16" alloys with Conti TS860's on it. Very icy over the past few days and seems fine so far but no snow to test it on yet.

We normally take the VRS to the Highlands in the winter and it has been awesome in thick snow. It has never faltered for years. Last year heading up the steep black mount hill towards the Rannoch Moor (it was dark) we saw many brake lights on and cars at a standstill. As we eventually moved up the hill it became apparent that the Police were pushing one car at a time up the icy snowy hill. We didn't need a push and when we got over the top we passed around a dozen of the cars that were now in the ditch. No probs at all with the Skoda. Winter tyres are also very good in cold wet weather not just snow and ice.
Winter tyres are worth it for me.

Last edited: