Engine remap and DSG remap queries

wireplay

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a gorgeous Black Edition A4 Avant Quattro 2l TFSI in Daytona Grey - fully pimped out and I love it, but I am considering a remap.

I have had remaps on both my previous Audis including my TT 2l Quattro taking it from 225 BHP to 265 BHP - it was stunning. The clutch went at 85K, but wasn't expensive to sort (manual gearbox).

My A4 is DSG, putting out the standard factory 225 BHP. The remap I am looking at is from a guy I trust as he is part of a networking group I belong to (business networking) and has been a member for many years, so his reputation is on the line. He is a Quantum Tuning supplier, so does anyone have any experience of Quantum?

I am pretty much sold on the remap taking it from 225 up to 300 BHP - 75 BHP increase! Is this TOO much? They are saying that's a sensible remap (33%), but seems a lot to me when the TT only wen up by 40.

They have also said I can get the DSG remapped as well, but I have no experience of this. Has anyone had their DSG remapped and does it make that much of a difference and also (and most important!), is it safe! I really don't want to have my box break, especially as it is still under warranty.

Yes, I know I could have bought an S4, but I couldn't afford it OR the servicing on it, so this was a great option and it's quick (6.5s), but I have had it 2 years and just want to get that little bit more fun out of it :)

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated as long as you don't say, sell it and buy an S4! ;-)

Attachments

• front - no plate.jpg
    front - no plate.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 165
  • front - no plate.jpg
    front - no plate.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 158
  • side---no-plate.jpg
    side---no-plate.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 151
  • front - no plate.jpg
    front - no plate.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 139
Before getting the remap have you had any issues with excessive oil consumption, if so has the car been fixed by Audi? (See oil consumption sticky). If you do have issues Audi might not pay for the work and you could be faced with a bill of 5k, they will try any means not to pay for the work. I was lucky my 2010 avant was using a litre of oil every 600 miles and had a stage 1 revo remap and they did pay for the work. Also not sure on your mileage but make sure your Dsg box has had oil service at 36k.

On the positive my a4 avant with Revo map was pushing 270 bhp and was quick!

I now have a stage 1+ S4 avant and that is in a different league! Servicing costs aren't that expensive at a good indy.

Black Friday offers from both Shark Performance and Revo today. I'd be looking at those. Had a Shark remap on my B7 was awesome. :)

As an aside my S4 costs no more to service than any other A4 from what I've seen. RS4 would be a different story.

I think you will be alright regarding oil consumption. As yours is facelift model and an ea888 gen 3 engine. I have the same car same colour but only owned for 6 weeks. You should maybe consider rick @ unicorn motor developments for remap. He gets a lot of praise on this forum.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I was about to say that as it's a 2015 model, I think the oil consumption issue should have been fixed. It was actually part of my buying process, a model which has had most of the kinks ironed out by the time I bought it :)

I'm really comfortable with the guy who can do me the remap (https://www.cmsgarages.co.uk/) as I know him personally and as he is part of a networking group I belong to, he won't let me down (we have breakfast each week with 60+ people, so his reputation is on the line with every job!).

Has anyone had their DSG remapped? That is more my concern. From good old YouTube videos, it looks interesting as the shifts (especially down shifts) are more like manual boxes, BUT I am worried that is putting too much strain on the box. You can of course shift like this using manual paddles, but lets face it, once you have DSG you just tend to drive it like a manual (well I know I do anyway) and rarely paddle.

My A4 has only done about 23k, so pretty low mileage and I do less than 6k a year. I plan on keeping it for at least another 6 years, so I want to make sure I am not doing something which is going to bite me. For me, the concerns are more about the DSG remap as I am likely to extend my Audi warranty in Feb when the car is 3 years old and I don't know how reliable DSG boxes are even before you remap them.

Thanks everyone for your replies, but I now hate the people who have said they have an S4 ;-) you lucky ******s ;-) - JEALOUS!

Reactions: scotty76
Not sure an Audi warranty will be worth much if you go for a remap. I've just bought the same car, 63 plate and toying between remap or tuning box. Mines out of warranty so probably go with remap.

What does your prefered garage think about DSG remap? Can they give you any info on the model number of your gearbox so you can see what other models its in. Maybe its shared with the s3. Im speculating here. Maybe someone with ETKA can chime in.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

They've kinda just muted the idea to me as it was in passing and said it would be a good idea as they go hand in hand, but no more research than that ATM.

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's helped me make my mind up - well sorta ;-)

Warranty wise, as far as I am aware, unless they can attribute the remap to a failure, they can't refuse a claim. Yes, I know this is a wide ranging point and means that if anything drive train related or engine based goes wrong, they won't cover it, but if the headlights fail, they would have to cover that.

So my decision is odd, but makes sense to me, and that is to wait and see how much my Audi warranty renewal comes in at and if I think it's good value, I will renew and probably won't remap, but if it's ridiculous and I think I would be better off with the money in the bank as an insurance policy, I will remap it.

Thanks again everyone, all the comments made helped me think about it more :)