Should I upgrade alloy wheels and tyres from 16'' to 17'' ?

P

Peto Pedro

Hey guys what you think>??
I have Audi A3 2011 TDi .. faster one SE-S-A upgraded from 170 horsepower to up to nearly 200 horsepower
And I have 16'' wheels bud had front value tyres new replaced but now when I go fast feeling wobbling to the sides quite much when turning in bends.. B4 it wasn't doing that much ..
So I am deciding to go with 17'' it might be run stable ? what you think ?
Please check tyres images ... And let me know if they are worth £300
Alloys are scratched ..

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 539
Last edited by a moderator:
Get your 17's then - they look like a bargain to me, scratched with 4 different types - will definitely help with the stability in the corners...

Reactions: Peto Pedro
Get your 17's then - they look like a bargain to me, scratched with 4 different types - will definitely help with the stability in the corners...
No I will be removing all tyres and putting 4 new .. and will get alloy refurbishment so will end up paying same as your link when it finishes in 2 days..
These wheels £300 new value tyres £200 alloy restoration £240 = 740 uuf jesus .. better buy new ones really ...

EDIT : actually I will be selling mine 16'' in very good condition .. maybe for £250 ? £200?
So £740 - £250 or £200 = £490 - £540

My 8P was mapped to 200+ bhp on 17" wheels and sport suspension and it felt very planted.

Just get 45 (or lower) profile tyres and you're good to go.

My 8P was mapped to 200+ bhp on 17" wheels and sport suspension and it felt very planted.

Just get 45 (or lower) profile tyres and you're good to go.
I found even better deal on ebay.. I bought nice ones same but without scratch just for £190 ! only two tyres need changing .. they will cost me £90 2x
But they are 50 profile ...

50 profile is okay if tyres are 215 wide. Sweet spot for 17" is 225/45 though if you're looking for the best mix of handling and comfort. Personal opinion of course.

50 profile is okay if tyres are 215 wide. Sweet spot for 17" is 225/45 though if you're looking for the best mix of handling and comfort. Personal opinion of course.
I bought this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171122-113714.png
    Screenshot_20171122-113714.png
    265.4 KB · Views: 410
  • tyres1.jpg
    tyres1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 483
  • tyres2.jpg
    tyres2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 420
Those are fine. You can go 45 height later on if you buy new tyres if you choose to for less lateral movement.
Added two more pics .. guy removed from audi A6 will be replacing those two worn tyres
but 45 will be too noisy no? and hard on bumps ,humps ..?

Added two more pics .. guy removed from audi A6 will be replacing those two worn tyres
but 45 will be too noisy no? and hard on bumps ,humps ..?

I did not mind it to be honest, I used the car as a daily driver and it was perfectly fine. A3 has a very decent sound insulation and the thinner the side wall, the better the handling.

I did not mind it to be honest, I used the car as a daily driver and it was perfectly fine. A3 has a very decent sound insulation and the thinner the side wall, the better the handling.
Yeah maybe in future.. need save some bucks ... :D
Have question ; how did you add your car details under your avatar ? cannot find it ... Thnx

If you scroll all the way up you will see (from right to left) Alerts, Inbox, Your-Name. Mouse over your name and select Signature from the menu. Then just fill in the box and press Save Changes. :)

If you scroll all the way up you will see (from right to left) Alerts, Inbox, Your-Name. Mouse over your name and select Signature from the menu. Then just fill in the box and press Save Changes. :)
Doesn't work

17s will have slightly wider tyres than your 16s (225/45 instead of your 205/55) so they will feel different, and probably more stable, but since you want comfort, ignore people saying to go for lower profile like 215 on the 17s, stay with 225/45

regardless, it sounds like the 16s you had new tyres on probably weren't balanced properly

17s will have slightly wider tyres than your 16s (225/45 instead of your 205/55) so they will feel different, and probably more stable, but since you want comfort, ignore people saying to go for lower profile like 215 on the 17s, stay with 225/45

regardless, it sounds like the 16s you had new tyres on probably weren't balanced properly
well am not gonna stay with 45 but 50 .. and yes .. need stability.. suddenly when I changed tyres from Superia Bluewin to Aptany Harmonic , the car kind of swinging to the sides when driving fast.. and cutting bends /corners ..
Really wanna test 17'' will see

235 45 is also a good size to run on 7.5J and still has plenty of sidewall , 225 50 is taller , bit too much profile .

235 45 is also a good size to run on 7.5J and still has plenty of sidewall , 225 50 is taller , bit too much profile .
I will try nex time when these get worn .. will buy 4 brand new good year ones :)

I have the same wheels, from an A4 they are ET45 and fit perfect, fill the arches just right.
235aspect will feel a bit floppy in the corners. 225/50/17 tyres will rub in the arches with 4 up in the car.

235 aren't floppy in XL form run at the right pressures , they also provide more progression and rubber from magnetic kerbs .

Really? mg .. that's not good.. if so, will be buying 45's in future..!
if you're not lowered you shouldn't really have an issue with 50, but rubbing is indeed possible if you're not very careful on speedbumps

Hello guys so I got them ...
So what you think guys which looks better? 16'' or 17'' ?
You can see pictures and the difference below ..
But I need to tell you something .. I had them fitted yesterday and tried them on .. It is nice, stable drive no shaking at all.. they are feeling bit hard tho ..
16'' are softer when you drive, it dynamically bouncing you when driving.. with 17'' there is not that soft bounce.. which I miss! aand there is one problem ! When I drive up to 70 or 80 all is ok .. but if I drive like 90 - 100 and above the car starts vibrating ??? Any ideas why? When I had 16'' on I never had any vibrating at all ?? Only shaking to the sides while cutting bends and that was because when mechanik removed 16'' tyres, the front ones has edges already kind of torn ?? WTH? I bought them few weeks back ! Indian or asian guy said they are new..! I paid 90 quid for two tyres ! I think he had me ! I bought crappy old tyres.. maybe refurbished ..

Attachments

• 16''.jpg
    16''.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 1,111
  • 17''.jpg
    17''.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 608
  • front 17''.jpg
    front 17''.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 859
  • back 17''.jpg
    back 17''.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 498
... suddenly when I changed tyres from Superia Bluewin to Aptany Harmonic , the car kind of swinging to the sides when driving fast.. and cutting bends /corners ..

... it sounds like the 16s you had new tyres on probably weren't balanced properly

This. Unbalanced/aligned ditchfinders...

He did alignment twice but not balancing

What kind of tyre fitter doesn't balance wheels?!

Alignment might help the car track correctly but it's not gonna stop the wheels vibrating at certain speeds. balancing the wheels enable stable rotation

Reactions: Rideen
He saw the quality of the tyres and didn't bother as they'd fly off anyway whilst entering the ditch , surprised he did the alignment .

What kind of tyre fitter doesn't balance wheels?!

Alignment might help the car track correctly but it's not gonna stop the wheels vibrating at certain speeds. balancing the wheels enable stable rotation
how balancing is performed? he was in rush to get lunch break at 2PM he just removed 16'' and replaced with 17'' not any further jobs has been done

how balancing is performed? he was in rush to get lunch break at 2PM he just removed 16'' and replaced with 17'' not any further jobs has been done
aaah now I know .. yeah dat first fitter DID balancing .. I saw him to do it.. but guy yesterday didn't

So he prioritised his lunch break over the needs of the customer...

balancing takes a couple of minutes, if that meant he had to wait til 2:03 to eat, he still wouldn't have died. You should get your wheels rebalanced for free and ask his boss for some kind of redress for wasting your time

Just thinking about 235 45 as you said .. can't decide.. thinking get 225 45
Will 235 tires be sticking out from the car wheel wings edges ?
Also can't decide which brand
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 235 45 R17 94Y or
Bridgestone Potenza S001 225 45 17 or
Good Year Asymetric 2 225 45 17 or
Good Year Asymetric 3 225 45 17

You can fit 235 /45/17 tyres on a 17 inch rim but 225/45/17 are a lot more common and as such cheaper. I would go with 225/45/17 and get them fitted by somebody who knows what they are doing and balances them.
Ride quality has a lot to do with tyre pressures and the tyre itself rather than just the size.
With the micky mouse tyres you have been fitting , which I have never heard of I am not surprised you have had issues. Tyres are not all the same round black circles you know.
Have a look on Tyre reviews.
Aptany tyres came 13/13 in this test .
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Aptany/RA301.htm
Superia tyres don't even get a mention on the tyre review website. Went to the home site http://superia-tyres.com/ and looked for info on the Bluewin.
All sizes of the Bluewin HP and UHP tyres are E rated for both rolling resistance and grip. But they are very quiet at 68dB .
Spend a bit more and get some decent tyres you will feel like you are driving a different car.

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/goodyear/eagle-f1-asymmetric-3/225-45-17-91-y--eagle-f1-asymmetric-3 £80 fitted for one of the best tyres around.
Surprised these are still available assy 2 tyres
https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/goodyear/eagle-f1-asymmetric-2/225-45-17-91-v--eagle-f1-asymmetric-2 better rolling resistance and a better rim protection bead.
https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/goodyear/eagle-f1-asymmetric-3/225-45-17-94-y-xl-eagle-f1-asymmetric-3 The XL version of the assy 3. With the more rigid sidewalls rolling resistance is reduced and handling usually improves.

Reactions: Peto Pedro
I no longer using Superia Bluewin to Aptany Harmonic those are on 16'' alloys :)
Now I have
KUMHO I'ZEN KW27 (rear) 225 50 R17 98V XL (used)
KUMHO ECSTA Le Sport KU39 (front) 225 50 R17 98Y XL (used)

Front left tire has puncture or something .. after 2 weeks I can visibly notice tire softer
I hope alloy wheel is not damaged !

That's the least of your problem when you buy used tyres. Most come off damaged cars and have flat spots and potential damage to the sidewall. Always buy new unless you know the car they came off, and don't skimp with your tyres, kumho are still budget tyres! Go with the Goodyear assy 3's and you will be ok assuming you get them balanced (are you that new to cars??). Tyre pressures are critical for optimum handling / ride comfort, so check with a forum member who has 17's what pressures they run as the oem pressures are often too high for uk roads. Also, you had snow tyres on when you bought the 17's - of course they will feel different from your 16's! I've found they handle awful in anything above freezing. Also, did you inform your insurance company you put bigger alloys on?