Quattro or not

A3simon said:
Plus you can ride a bike the same come rain or shine. Where as the limits of any car are easily found in the wet

Eh ???
I've been riding bikes for 25 years now,including 10 years racing at National level,and there's simply no way a bike can be ridden the same come rain or shine.
Anyone who tries it will quickly test their leathers.

course it can be i never said riding flat out did i. You can make the same smooth progress along a road in wet as in the dry

A3simon said:
course it can be i never said riding flat out did i. You can make the same smooth progress along a road in wet as in the dry

Smooth progress yeah,but everything will still be done more gingerly than in the dry,unless the rider is a total puff in the dry that is !
You'd have to be a right weirdo to be braking,leaning and powering out at the same points,wet or dry.
I can ride around getting my knee down with impunity in the dry,but the only time I've done it in the wet is on a track,with wets on,and even then I was hanging off the side of the bike like passengers on the last train to Mumbai.

Even world class riders hate the rain.
I remember chatting to Niall MacKenzie years ago and even he said it was a lottery,with the results usually being a case of 'who stayed on longest' !

My best result was in the rain though (second and fastest lap),but I still hated it with a passion...
Misty glasses,misty visors,tippy-toe lean angles,little twitches,OOOH that was close.....god when will this race end....meh...

bowfer said:
Steady.
Your traction grip may be better,but your cornering and braking grip won't be any better.
Quattro doesn't make your tyres magic or defy the laws of physics !
There isn't a car in the world that can be driven just as quickly in the wet as it can in the dry.

Within reason of course. Yep you reach the limits of adhesion sooner, but for the most part swift progress can be made wet or dry. But surely I didn't have to explain that too you did I?

AL

No i aint a puff in the dry i can ride the **** off the bike. It just doesnt bother me riding in the rain i can still keep the pace up and to be honest i hardly use the brakes

fine in the dry on a bike.....and am not ashamed to admit i hate riding in the wet.....hate it, hate it, hate it !!! totally paranoid about sliding around etc....(only had 2yrs experiance on bike though) even those 2yr have been painfull recently with my ninja curently undergoing repairs as well as my collar bone which bore the brunt of the impact and cracked in 2. Ouch !! It seems the bike didnt want to go out in the cold.......so threw me off in a bit of a tantrum. Over-eager right hand with cold tyres the true culprit.....a bit off topic now. Bike is loads of fund in the dry, car loads of fun rest of the time as im not scared shitless of crashing. !!!

A3simon said:
Mine is absolutelt amazing with the haldex controller on sport. Its like a rear wheel drive car now to drive you can actually feel the rear coming round on you which makes driving much more rewarding. I suppose i prefer the quattro as i always drive to enjoy myself i dont have to commute to work and im only home 3 months out of the year so i want to enjoy driving my car and FWD really doesnt make for enjoyable driving.

Although give me 2 wheels anyday of the week wet or dry by far the most enjoyable mode of transport. Plus you can ride a bike the same come rain or shine. Where as the limits of any car are easily found in the wet

I think I might have asked before but who fitted the controller and how much?

One advantage of quattro is all your wheels will wear at the same time !, meaning less visits to kwik fit.

When I had my S3 I it was great coming off a wet bend & applying the loud pedal.

Has anyone considered fitting LSD to a FWD, might be a better option as then you can get the power down without adding the weight.

So Steve... have you made a decision yet or are you gonna go for one wheel drive and get a bike? :)

I think I will go for Quattro as I love the fact you get no torque steer or wheelspin on launch. I now need to work out what I can sell my car for :-

July 04 A3 3.2 Sport, DSG, Moro Blue, Full Leather, Bose, Xenons and 15,644 miles.
Looking on Autotrader I guess around £16K