Facelift Known fault with FL RS3 - ticking exhaust valve..

Does it do it after cold start eg when gearbox in sport the revs rise at idle?

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Does it do it after cold start eg when gearbox in sport the revs rise at idle?

TX.

Mine stops after about 20 seconds from start up regardless of mode.

Mines done this from new too. Just cold start, less when it’s not as cold but until the revs drop. Warm starts don’t sound like this.

Not really a problem but just doesn’t sound great for a new car I suppose. I can put up with it for now given everything else you get from it

I had someone swear at me this morning .. “that’s f**king awesome” he said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1664Hatter and FBF01
Mines done this from new too. Just cold start, less when it’s not as cold but until the revs drop. Warm starts don’t sound like this.

Not really a problem but just doesn’t sound great for a new car I suppose. I can put up with it for now given everything else you get from it

I had someone swear at me this morning .. “that’s f**king awesome” he said

The fact you say it isn’t as bad on warmer but still cold starts points to the engine and not a loose component.

Where were you for somebody to say that? I have to agree with him.

That is strange. The valves sit at the very back of the exhaust and are a known problem to sometime fail and causing this vibration noise:

From your earlier video the sound is coming from the engine/front part of the exhaust?
As Aoon_M pointed out this is two different sounds/problems. Or I don't now if Audi thinks that your sound is a problem, maybe just bad engineering :/

We'll see if this sound goes away when now Audi says they found the problem on your car and hopefully has a solution for it.

Yep sounds like the same rattling exhaust valve fault has been carried over onto the facelift car. My friends PFL car exhaust had similar noise and Audi acknowledged it was a known fault on some cars and replaced the whole back box (valve can't be replaced on its own).

Yep sounds like the same rattling exhaust valve fault has been carried over onto the facelift car. My friends PFL car exhaust had similar noise and Audi acknowledged it was a known fault on some cars and replaced the whole back box (valve can't be replaced on its own).

Sorted, just need to get the dealer to make a c*** up and order the PFL backbox, haha.

I'm speaking to Audi MK about this issue.......

Mines intermittent....cannot hear it when inside the car, however outside a different story.

Only for 20 secs or so when it does do it.

I wouldn’t say it sounds great though.

The thunderclap / bangs on it firing up are characteristic yes, this just sounds plain crap and embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KKOG
Has anyone with a FL car not got this issue? Seems like there's a lot of us who have the problem... Could it be all are affected?

What the hell is going on with Audi ?

Squaking brakes that are annoying & embarrassing & still not sorted on the FL.
Quieter exhaust note.
Bag of spanners sound for 20 to 30 seconds on cold start up.

Jesus, there is no way I could order another RS3 knowing all the issues there are.
Now people are commenting that some S cars have squealing brakes too.

I am genuinely concerned at the prospect of getting another Audi S or RS car now.
After 2 years of squealing brakes, a set of warped discs and 2 other disc changes prior and various rattles oh and rapid outer wear on front tyres lol, I want my next car to be hassle free ... pleeeeease :yes:

Mine does it, new FL (under 400 miles still). Sounds like a bag of nails on start up....if you are not directly behind the car it sounds total *****.

Old PFL did not do it...but i had other issues with constant beeping from exhaust. Audi sorted that by replacing the backbone.

Why don't they learn from their mistakes?

The TTRS stopped as soon as the chap cycled the driving mode eg after a second or two. Does the RS3 stop if the modes are cycled?

TX.

No TX it doesn't make a difference tried it.

Interestingly this morning on cold start the noise went away within 10 secs.

Where were you for somebody to say that? I have to agree with him.

LOL, at the local tip! I followed the wife there, sh*t wasn't going in my car :smiley:

From what I read they all do it, I'll speak to the dealer to see if their demo does it as they have one in. Honestly it does sound a bit **** for a £50k+ hyperhatch!
Its hard to tell exactly where it originates, sounds like the exhaust but then it stops as you only get seconds to investigate. Can't be a "faulty" part if they are all doing it, I am surprised they have all left the factory like it though. Mine doesn't always do it that long as its garaged so doesn't stay on cold start for as long.

I know what it will be .. a "characteristic" of the car :triumph:

Reactions: AudiNutta and T-800
LOL, at the local tip! I followed the wife there, sh*t wasn't going in my car :smiley:

From what I read they all do it, I'll speak to the dealer to see if their demo does it as they have one in. Honestly it does sound a bit **** for a £50k+ hyperhatch!
Its hard to tell exactly where it originates, sounds like the exhaust but then it stops as you only get seconds to investigate. Can't be a "faulty" part if they are all doing it, I am surprised they have all left the factory like it though. Mine doesn't always do it that long as its garaged so doesn't stay on cold start for as long.

I know what it will be .. a "characteristic" of the car :triumph:

Indeed.

I unplugged Exhaust valves to see if any change today and it’s a no just gets a lot louder (not the bag of nails noise)

So at least it’s not the valves then. I do think we should all push the matter with the dealers. It doesn’t effect it but doesn’t sound great.

So at least it’s not the valves then. I do think we should all push the matter with the dealers. It doesn’t effect it but doesn’t sound great.

I will see how mine is when I get it, mine will have a valve controller on anyway and I’m not sure how the dealer will like that.

If I did have the backbox replaced I’d see if they could ‘mistakingly’ order a PFL box.

Are they different then?

What's the valve controller?

Are they different then?

What's the valve controller?

Not sure yet but it's the only thing really that could tune the sound, I'm curious to find out.
When I call into my local dealer to show the RS3 (they asked). I will speak to the parts guy I'm friendly with and ask him to compare part numbers between PFL and FL. I'd rather buy an Audi back box than a Milltek one...

Google 'AWE Tuning Switchpath', plug and play kit to have full control of the valves... I used it on my S3, it's great.

As I said the issue with the waste gate will be addressed in a future software update by requesting 100% wastegate duty cycle upon cold start.

Reactions: KKOG and AudiNutta
In fact, MRC Tuning have already addressed the cold start wide open wastegate issue in their maps. CustomCode/Iroz have also addressed it or are addressing it.

Audi want the car to go in to the dealer

Somehow I'm thinking buying another Audi was a mistake.

I know it is the 8p, it was just when I typed it cold start rattle RS3, lots came up including this, for multiple models.

As I said the issue with the waste gate will be addressed in a future software update by requesting 100% wastegate duty cycle upon cold start.
They need to get an update out then asap.

Doesnt mean much to me .. apart from the noise I assume its causing no harm?

Brand spanker at Wakefield audi does the ticking too

I think it just adds to the character

Brand spanker at Wakefield audi does the ticking too

I think it just adds to the character

Gets on your tits after a while, even the wife asked "whats that noise" today :cry:

Reactions: T-800
I’ve had it on good authority, blip the throttle on startup and the noise goes instantly. Doesn’t this tell you that it isn’t an exhaust issue?

Haven’t been able to prove it on mine yet, haven’t heard it make it.

I’ve had it on good authority, blip the throttle on startup and the noise goes instantly. Doesn’t this tell you that it isn’t an exhaust issue?

Maybe that is why on startup it is set to rev higher initially, because otherwise the noise would be unbearable :tongueout:

Tried on mine this morning noise did go briefly but once revs settled did it again

This is clearly not a problem if it's on all RS3's during cold start.

I wouldn't waste my time nor the dealers time on something that happens for around 10secs on a cold start and then goes. I had a listen to mine this morning and it's exactly the same.

Reactions: AudiNutta
This is clearly not a problem if it's on all RS3's during cold start.

I wouldn't waste my time nor the dealers time on something that happens for around 10secs on a cold start and then goes. I had a listen to mine this morning and it's exactly the same.

+1, especially since I quite like it.

If a problem is found and a fix offered I would take it in for a recall, but otherwise I won’t to spend as much time as possible in my RS3... had enough of having a car stuck at the dealers.

Reactions: ice_cube99, phantom_s3 and zaka7
+1, especially since I quite like it.

If a problem is found and a fix offered I would take it in for a recall, but otherwise I won’t to spend as much time as possible in my RS3... had enough of having a car stuck at the dealers.

Maybe I didn't blip it hard enough, anyway like you it really doesn't bother me, slightly curious to find out what it is, as long as it's not causing any harm then I'm good.
Everyone seems worried that the FL doesn't make enough noise then when it does we don't like it either :grimacing:

Maybe I didn't blip it hard enough, anyway like you it really doesn't bother me, slightly curious to find out what it is, as long as it's not causing any harm then I'm good.
Everyone seems worried that the FL doesn't make enough noise then when it does we don't like it either :grimacing:

I wouldn’t want to blip the car too much when cold, I’m ver sensitive to taking it easy when the engine is cold.

Yep exactly what I thought, all the complaints about lack of noise and people are going to Audi asking for it to be made quieter! Brilliant

Will have to wait and see if mine does this, collecting it on Saturday. I don't think it would bother me but we will see.

From the videos it sounds to me like the car is in a catalyst heat up mode and maybe running late injection and retarded ignition to get as much heat as possible into the catalysts. If the wastegate is held open during this mode then that would explain the noise. Blipping the throttle would also likely make it drop out of cat heat mode but I would expect the noise to return once the revs settle back to target.

Mine rattles when it's warm, heard it when i blipped the throttle in the garage.......

There's a TPI for exhaust valve rattle on the RS3/TTRS with an video of the symptoms

Mine rattles when it's warm, heard it when i blipped the throttle in the garage.......

There's a TPI for exhaust valve rattle on the RS3/TTRS with an video of the symptoms

What does the TPI say?

I noticed mine rattling away when being driven onto the transporter, warm.
I've yet to hear it properly on cold start, it's only ever so slightly there.

What does the TPI say?

I noticed mine rattling away when being driven onto the transporter, warm.
I've yet to hear it properly on cold start, it's only ever so slightly there.

21b596024bd4ffb5cd2e35de4321a0d5.jpg