Stay safe folks...

Happy Grumpz

Reaction score
Website
www.mahalkitaphotography.com
Heading to my brothers at 8pm on Friday night, driving along minding my own business, along a 40mph road out of nowhere, a car came sliding sideways down my lane and we collided at a combined speed of about 80mph. It happened so fast I didn’t even have time to react or hit the brakes

The passenger side of the other car took the full brunt of the crash, then went airborne and hit a tree.

The passenger of the other car died at the scene and after the driver was cut out of the car, he was rushed to hospital for surgery. The drivers in a bad way and 50/50 if he’ll make it.

How I managed to walk away from my car with scratches, cuts and bruises is an absolute miracle. I honestly think that anything less than my Audi and I wouldn’t be here today.

I did have a dash cam fitted and thankfully for me it recorded the crash and clears me from anything. If you haven't already got one, go and get one!!!

One minute life is good, the next, it’s turned to complete sh*t!

Stay safe folks

22522382_1518602818223183_40276233_o by Matt Smith, on Flickr

Reactions: v1rotate, richinsoton, jimojameso and 6 others
Sad to hear. Glad you’re okay.
Sadly things like this happen all too often.

Thank goodness you’re safe but it must have been a terrifying experience. Sad for the others involved but the other driver must have been travelling at a huge speed in a 40mph zone. Your car can be replaced - you can’t so the safety of the Audi is a great testament to the engineers who designed it. As the saying goes “there but for the grace of God .......”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Imagine if you were in a Ford KA or some other lightweight run around.

Dreading my daughter getting her first car. Anything substantial costs a fortune to insure and young people end up in small cars made from bake bean can steel.

You were lucky. That could have been a lot worse for you and no fault of your own. Dash cam for Christmas me thinks. What model you have ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's a horrific experience to go through mate.
Despite the fact you were blameless it won't make you feel any better I guess, given the outcome.
You are relatively ok which is the main thing mate.
If ever there was a reason to have a dash cam this is it.
Seriously mate, best wishes and sorry you've had to experience this.

Reactions: glospete
Nothing flash, just a Nextbase 312GW, when I bought it from Halfords I paid a little extra to get them to hardwire it into the car.
I've been looking at them and folk have put me off going to Halfords but it's handy, especially when I can't locate anyone else to do it. They also didn't have all the models I was looking at. I'll have another look though.

I'm in the London Fire Brigade and unfortunately this kind of scene is all too common.

RIP to the person that didn't make it and thank god that you are ok.

I agree, dash cams these days are unfortunately essential.

Chill out mate, you'll be processing many thoughts over the next few days.

Reactions: richinsoton and Audi Bairn
I'm in the London Fire Brigade and unfortunately this kind of scene is all too common.

RIP to the person that didn't make it and thank god that you are ok.

I agree, dash cams these days are unfortunately essential.

Chill out mate, you'll be processing many thoughts over the next few days.
Snap. Avon frs and private sector frs.

Unfortunately these things are a common site on the roads these days.

Just have to be thankful for the way some of these modern cars are built like in this case where the OP has had a lucky escape.

Will be investing in a dash cam myself I think.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Carefree69
Snap. Avon frs and private sector frs.

Unfortunately these things are a common site on the roads these days.

Just have to be thankful for the way some of these modern cars are built like in this case where the OP has had a lucky escape.

Will be investing in a dash cam myself I think.

Do yourself a huge favour and get one mate, you will know all too well the reasons for having one.

Reactions: James.B8
Glad you are OK mate, it's always said when someone dies no matter who is to blame, at the end of the day we all have friends/family.

I keep telling my mate who has just got an Astra GTC VXR to get a dashcam, it's sad but as soon as they see a high powered car the finger starts pointing that way.

Jesus, not a nice thing for you to experience mate. Being involved in a crash is bad enough but one with the outcome this had is something else, as @Carefree69 says, just take it easy as realisation may take a day or 2 to set in.

My dash cam has only been in a few weeks and I've already got a taxi driver carrying on out of a junction with me heading towards them at 40mph and a guy on a motorbike doing a wheelie.

Wow .

That doesn't look like a 40 mph road , I think some idiots get fed up with a marked down on speed road and go Autobhan mode .

Really sorry to hear this, what a terrible experience. Glad to hear you are okay, but as above.. extremely sad for others involved.

Considering the other outcome, the A3 has stood up incredibly well in the impact.. hats off to Audi.

Fingers crossed for the driver.

Must have been an horrendous experience. Glad you're ok, physically at least.

Even though you have evidence to support you, I'm not sure this thread is a good idea (although I appreciate why you posted it).

Reactions: AudiNutta
Heading to my brothers at 8pm on Friday night, driving along minding my own business, along a 40mph road out of nowhere, a car came sliding sideways down my lane and we collided at a combined speed of about 80mph. It happened so fast I didn’t even have time to react or hit the brakes

The passenger side of the other car took the full brunt of the crash, then went airborne and hit a tree.

The passenger of the other car died at the scene and after the driver was cut out of the car, he was rushed to hospital for surgery. The drivers in a bad way and 50/50 if he’ll make it.

How I managed to walk away from my car with scratches, cuts and bruises is an absolute miracle. I honestly think that anything less than my Audi and I wouldn’t be here today.

I did have a dash cam fitted and thankfully for me it recorded the crash and clears me from anything. If you haven't already got one, go and get one!!!

One minute life is good, the next, it’s turned to complete sh*t!

Stay safe folks

22522382_1518602818223183_40276233_o by Matt Smith, on Flickr

Glad to hear you’re safe. Hope driver makes it. RIP to the passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you are OK buddy. Rest up. Was there any indication as to what may have caused the other car to go sideways?

Glad you are ok , it is testament to the build quality of the car , remember there are counselling services available if you feel you need to speak to someone and please don't keep it in thinking you are ok as talking works wonders , If you contact the police traffic officer dealing they should be able to recommend someone if you need it .

Reactions: James.B8
remember there are counselling services available if you feel you need to speak to someone and please don't keep it in thinking you are ok as talking works wonders

The PC mentioned it yesterday while taking a statement.

It is 100% something I’m going to do

Reactions: Audi Bairn, richinsoton, Tom.H and 3 others
Life can change in the blink of an eye can’t it. Wrong place at the wrong time! Glad physically your ok. All the best

@Happy Grumpz - glad you're OK - as others have said - make use of the counseling services that are available (Police offered this when we had an attempted break in for what they reckon was the car keys)

RIP for the passenger.

I've front and back dashcams in all of our cars (Blackvue) wired into a Power Magic Pro (stops battery being fully discharged if left for a long time) Wonder when manufacturers are going to build them into cars by default.

Glad you're alright. Shame to hear about the passenger of the other car. If that driver does survive he will spending some time in prison! :(

Doesn't the hardwired camera know itself to prevent total discharge ?

Hi - don't believe they have that intelligence built in ( and would continue to draw power even if amperage drops) Whereas the Power Pro monitors amperage, and cuts power to the dash cam before it reaches specified levels. Other cams may have this built in - Blackvue is external (don;t forget these cams also record while parked/motion activated)

Sorry for thread hijack

The cheap Chinese brand I know of has

• With function of auto detect battery voltage , it can cut power supply when voltage is too low, make sure the car can start normally.

Doesn't the hardwired camera know itself to prevent total discharge ?

My BlackVue DR750LW does.
Stopped using it after a few weeks, I don’t know if it cut out or not but my car is normally used at least once in a 24 hour period, several times I had low battery warnings.. so it’s on switched live now. I’m in work 12 hours, the camera is no good to store that much 2CH footage anyway.

Yes one of the issues with dual / high frame rate / resolution is it all gobbles up the storage quicker .

Sorry to hear about this but it’s good that you’re okay. It’s a real shame about the other car’s passengers but the Audi held up very well. I hope you’re doing alright and getting the right support.

Let us know if you need anything :)

Jesus, there's only 1 spoke that isn't broken on that wheel.

Looks like you were pretty lucky to be walking away from it as well.

Yikes! Pleased your okay mate.

I can't believe how those front tyres have stayed inflated aswell...

Jesus, there's only 1 spoke that isn't broken on that wheel.

Looks like you were pretty lucky to be walking away from it as well.

All that energy absorbed to do so much damage, and thankfully little enough of it transmitted through to you so you could walk away. Good engineering presumably working exactly as designed.

Reactions: richinsoton
It's always sad seeing your P&J like that, but it's done what it should've done in taking the forces of the impact rather than transmitting them into the passenger cabin & in turn you.

Personally I think it's a good way to advertise cars rather than the current fad of how wonderful it is to have wifi connectivity etc, as per the clip below...

Mother Mary....

What was the other guy diving ?

He was in a Vectra, his is absolutely horrific. For obvious reasons I won't be sharing the pictures or his car.

Bar the airbags going off and it looks like the steering wheel has been sucked into the dashboard on mine, mine perfect inside.