S Tronic and Drive select

KieranJ22

Reaction score
Evening all, can someone please explain the differences between the s tronic D/S with the drive select in dynamic etc.

Is there a difference in having the car in D and dynamic to S and dynamic? There were a few posts about it on here recently in another thread but I can't seem to find it.

It confuses me as what if I was to put it in S with comfort or D with comfort. Is it going to be less economical with the gear box in S or is the drive select going to override the 'S' of the gearbox. Sorry if this is confusing..

It is confusing! In S the car idles at a higher rpm and increases quickness of gear shifts. In dynamic mode there isnt a huge amount of noticable differenxe unless you use the paddles, then its really fun.

Reactions: KieranJ22
The drive select modes adjust things like Suspension firmness, quattro settings, exhaust note etc. The D & S are complimentary to each drive select mode, S is a 'Sport' mode and will give better acceleration, raised red-line and will hold onto gears longer. Be careful though, because you can also have the gearbox in 'S' while in manual mode. There is no indication to this anywhere on any screen however there is an audible difference when you select the gearbox in 'S' mode by clicking it back, and then pushing it over in manual. You can hear that it is idling higher.

Reactions: AL_B and sve170
The drive select modes adjust things like Suspension firmness, quattro settings, exhaust note etc. The D & S are complimentary to each drive select mode, S is a 'Sport' mode and will give better acceleration, raised red-line and will hold onto gears longer. Be careful though, because you can also have the gearbox in 'S' while in manual mode. There is no indication to this anywhere on any screen however there is an audible difference when you select the gearbox in 'S' mode by clicking it back, and then pushing it over in manual. You can hear that it is idling higher.
Ah right okay thanks a lot

When you put it in Dynamic, all settings go to Dynamic and the gearbox goes to 'S'. You can then toggle it it using the gearstick to put it in 'D' whilst leaving everything else in Dynamic. Handy for me on the fast backroads near me when I don't need to to be red lining it but need the firmer set up.

Reactions: AL_B and sve170