Audi A3 3.2 missfire in cylinder 1 only

StanM

Reaction score
Right, second attempt after posting this in the wrong section :whistle2:

My Audi A3 developed a rough idle all of a sudden and following a VCDS scan it throws an error 16685 p0301 cylinder 1 misfire detected in Engine module. It started hesitating under acceleration and especially when it has to shift up (DSG gearbox). I've swapped the coil pack of cylinder 1 with that of cylinder 6 and then with 2 and 3 but still the same error comes back for cylinder 1 which made me think there must be a module controlling this and I found that some cars have ICM (Ignition Control Module) looking like this:
4A0905351A

so I had a look around the engine bay but couldn't locate anything looking like this.
Has anyone had a similar issue and can you please help me as I am confused.com at the moment and started reading posts about stretched cam chains and I am getting very scared :sadlike: :wink::wink::wink:

The engine bay on my 2005 A3 3.2 quattro. Is there a ICM on the 6 cylinder block or is this part of the engine ECU and can the misfire be caused by clocked injectors or anything else.
IMG 1084 A3

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like a cam chain problem, have you changed the plug on No.1 ? Plugs can break down under load and acceleration and change down causes load..

Reactions: cj.dub
Agreed with the other posters, you would benefit from trying a different plug for cylinder number 1.
That type of ICM needs a heatsink to keep it cool and so on AGU engined Mk 4 golfs it was attached to the side of the air filter box so the cool air rushing in takes the heat away from the heatsink. Have a look to see if there is anything similar. When they conk out you will suffer with the same symptoms and on the 4 cylinder version is was mostly cylinder 3.
Genuine VW prices are staggering but ECP stock a version made by Haas I think that works perfectly well for a fraction of the cost. Whilst I do not know if the V6 has an ICM at least you know a bit more about them! Avoid very cheap as they may not include a thermal interface material designed to maximise the heat transfer through to the heatsink.
I used Arctic Silver transfer paste as I used to build PCs as a hobby.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, I will check tonight

Swapping the sparks plugs didn’t work. I’ve swapped the coil packs after the first test but still the same result cylinder 1 doesn’t want to fire up.
What else could I try.