What do you think criminal deception involving a car could be.

dubhyper

Illegally Street
Reaction score
I got a letter from the old bill, not happy.
QUOTED
"We are investigating a possible deception involving several vehicles on of the being ...my audi and my reg number.
The PNC data base say the car is registered to you....."
It then goes on to say can i supply all the details of the sale to them....which is not a problem...etc...
So i rang and spoke to them , of course they couldnt tell me anything about the investigation except what they knew i allready knew..But i am wondering what it could be.. It has to be a criminal matter for the police to be involved.. so i doubt it a tax issue..(well i know it wont be).. I have my ideas what i think it is...
Just wondering before i say what i think it is... if anyone could come up with some ideas what they think it could be..see if we come up with the same things...
cheers guys...
:motz:

My guess would be somebody using your reg number on a similar vehicle for congestion charge zone payment avoidance/speed camera avoidance etc?

yea possibly the last owner of the car got a speeding ticket? and tried to say to the police he sold the car maybe before the date of the speeding offence??

i doubt its someone using your reg on there car for congestion charging or speeding, because you would get the ticket after all wouldnt you which i guess you didnt get?

I agree it is unlikely to be parking, speeding or congestion charge as you'd have got the bill as the registered keeper.

I'd guess someone has cloned your car which has been identified as being involved in a more serious crime; alternatively someone has just bought a clone of your car and when trying to re-register it in their name have come across a problem?

no ones come up with what i think it is yet though... ill post later 2nite. see if we:hi: can get a few more responses first.. thanks guys

Or your car was previously stolen or HP never paid etc, which would not be good as you would lose your car.

Obviously I hope that doesn't happen.

I reckon someone 'ringed' your car and sold it on ebay..

the buyer has been caught driving a cloned car..

and now you get letter from da police

Maybe unrelated, but I had a visit from the plod about a year ago. They were standing in my driveway checking out my A4...

When I spoke to them, it turned out that there was an identical spec car up in Birmingham (I'm in London), with an identical VIN registered!

I bought the car from an Audi dealer and never actually compared the vehicle VIN with the VIN printed on the V5 - it turned out that they didn't match!

The other owner in Birmingham had bought the car recently and the DVLA noticed the discrepancy when he tried to register it.

In the end, it turned out it was a DVLA error (from 1997, when both cars were originally registered) and that I was technically driving uninsured all the time...

The plod were happy with the paperwork and the DVLA sent a new V5 with the correct details.

How long you had the car?
I have no idea what it could be apart from what the others mention, but did you have suspicions about the car before they turned up?

Where did you buy the car from can I ask, dealer, private, etc?

It sounds a bit scary but it sould be something really simple like an admin error or just a number plate scam. Do you have all the odcs like V5 etc, all matching to your car? Have you taxed the car since you had it...?

Hope its all ok whatever it is, let us know!!

I purchased the car on ebay, i did an hpi check using there system. nothing came up.... All the VIN's seem to match fine...When i picked the car up. It was from the same address that was listed on ebay and paypal..i paid in cash of course . but there was an option there so i did check... All the paper work was there, log book,a few Mot's, even past insurance..
It all seemed fine to me... I am 28 and have bought my fair share of cars privately, but never before on ebay.. Sold cars on it. Never bought 1 till this one..
PERSONALLY
I think there is a possibility that the cars been clocked.. The only thing that would tie in with this is the steering wheel is a little warn. And the cars only got 72k.apparently...(maybe not, if i am correct)...they are ment to be calling me back on monday, the police that is. but you know how it is. the mind wont rest tell it knows...
So seeing as no one said clocking....what do you think...could it be>?
thanks again guys..

Clocking should have shown on the HPI check as they cross check with the national mileage register or whatever its called - I avoided buying a clocked peugeot this way. Sound more to me like cloning??

Clocking would never get the police involved, so i cant see it being that, i reckon the cloning is more likely

hmmmmmmmmmmm, if the steering wheel is the only thing suggesting its clocked...... id think itll be something else.

i dont think the police would get involved with clocking....

as for the wear, the previous owner could have thought himself a little bling? and driven with all manner of rings and such like....

some drivers ive been in the car with also grip the wheel REALLY tightly, someone like this with a few rings could wear the wheel over a few thousand miles....

very interesting though, the deception bit would suggest its cloning id think!

good luck!

God, I actually hope it is the clocking thing, at least its still YOUR car.

Is it possible the seller did not have title to sell it? Maybe he was looking afte the car for someone else?

I'd be cautious about telling plod anyting by post, forstly ae you 100% its a genuine letter..? could be a scam itslef....>?

I'd take it in to you local plod shop and ask them to look it up, if its genuine they'll tell you and may give you and indication what its about.

Man I hope it aint too serious, keep us informed, but be careful whay you post on here too....!! :)

No way the police would be involved in a clocking incident unless they'd busted a garage or something that were routinely clocking cars and they had your paperwork somehow.

For it to be criminal deception it would have to be something like it being cloned or possibly having finance secured against (not on) the car, or like previously said the car was not theirs to sell in the first place. I hope you get it sorted and it has a happy ending, keep us posted...

Maybe a dodgy MOT .....?

what spec of car and year is it fella? PM me if you like, I have some info that you could just check out on your model to ensure the VIN has not been tampered with, but wont post it on here. when did you buy it, was it all at proper value, not super cheapo or anything? I'll tell you if you PM me.

I think we are all sharing your worry a little, I can only offer some hope that if it was super serious, surely they would have contacted you in person, not by post.....?

Get legal advice if its anything to do witih title and ownership. If you are an innocent thrid party to the deception, you should still own the car, depending on who the other deceived parties are....? I would also be cautious over handing the car over to the police or anything. It seems you have genuinely bought it and as such I'd hold onto unless something real serious happens!

Good luck whatever and fingers crossed for you!