tfsi random judder.

Darren1983

Reaction score
Hello all,

My car has started doing a random 'judder' when stationary. it runs fine in general just does this sometimes.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks
Darren

Any other symptoms before or afterwards chap, do you have access to VCDS, if so do a scan and see what pops up , you may see several error messages aswell.

No nothing Rob just the random split second judder when stationary.

Not got access to vcd's chap but got access to one of them obd2 things and that's not bringing anythi g up.

You need VCDS really to be able to see the log , I had the same thing several times last year, ran vcds and there was a whole raft of error messages logged, one that I hadn't seen before was " runner flap " something or other....anyway cleared the faults and they haven't returned thus far, I did have a stall prior and the engine management light came on and I couldn't clear it to start with but took two goes to clear the log.
Anyway , been a good as gold since.....maybe just an oddity chap but i'd be checking with vcds really even if to just eliminate a problem.

not managed to get it on VCDs yet for this.

had a weird thing happen the other day though, I was sat at lights and the car did a judder then as soon as that happened the fuel gauge moved up by about a quarter of a tank?!

thanks rob,

I wouldn't even know where to start to try and rectify that.

Just a thought really but could be quite a few things , i'd be running vcds before making any on the spot diags or trying to fix it at least that way it will show up any possible areas that have issuses , you need a starting point and vcds will assist with that and then work from there chap.

not managed to get it on VCDs yet for this.

had a weird thing happen the other day though, I was sat at lights and the car did a judder then as soon as that happened the fuel gauge moved up by about a quarter of a tank?!

Do you let your gas tank get really close to empty? Like fuel light on and barely making it to the gas station?

I have in the past yeah chap. Not every time though.

I changed the cam follower not long ago so thought it may of had something to do with it but it started doing the juddering/blip before that.

Also recently I've changed the spark plugs

Might look at changing your fuel filter. Very easy job to do, just don't break the tabs on the fuel lines. Letting your gas tank get that empty is very bad for the fuel pump as it starts sucking all the trash and gunk at the bottom of the tank.

Did you check the spark plugs for proper gap? Often times they come pre-gapped but I wouldn't always count on that.

Not trying to insult your intelligence, just throwing some ideas out there.

been in touch with a chap with VCDS so will hopefully get it logged in the near future, I cant help but think it is fuel related, its like a blip when stationary then when driving it sometimes feels like a surge of power almost like the car is over and under fueling.

Hi Fella....

Might be wrong or well off the mark, but i've recently bought an Audi, A4 Avant, TFSi quattro 217bhp model and, some of the things you mention, did occur with mine. I did ask on the forums, Pedal travel was high on the clutch, however, I digress.....

I was getting, some revs not coming down quick and some slight judder, when stationary, didn't add it at the time because, being new to the site, people might have thought, what an idiot (And still may after this comment.... lol), anyway, it worked out to be the "clutch pedal switch" for the cruise control, was not working properly and causing the car to idle oddly and I was getting that judder even after a full service and cambelt change, all original Audi parts.
I can't explain, how or why this item would cause similar issues (I'm not mechanically sound at all), but it was changed 3 weeks ago and still running nicely!

Was a £12 purchase of Audi and this, for me, has solved the issues and i get none of the idling issues or judder anymore.

I thought I'd throw that out there!! :relieved:

P.S. if you don't have Cruise control, then totally ignore this!!! :grimacing:

thanks for your info mate, I actually had the clutch switch issue previously and replaced it, this what the engine is doing now isn't the same symptoms as when the clutch switch was faulty.

so as always when I come up with an issue on my car I get google crazy... one thing that has been mentioned a few times is a problematic coil pack. the thing is I changed my spark plugs the other week and dropped with of the coil packs on the floor like an idiot, could this of done any damage? is there a way of checking for a bad coil pack without vcds?

so as always when I come up with an issue on my car I get google crazy... one thing that has been mentioned a few times is a problematic coil pack. the thing is I changed my spark plugs the other week and dropped with of the coil packs on the floor like an idiot, could this of done any damage? is there a way of checking for a bad coil pack without vcds?

Hey Darren,

I'll be very honest, I have little mechanical knowledge, I read your symptoms and thought, let me tell you what occurred to me. The more experienced guys on here, I'm sure will be able to answer your question for you!

Wish you well in finding the fault! ... :)

Hi all.

I fit the standard coilpacks a couple if days ago and the blip isn' there no more so it was down to a failing coilpack.

Darren