Indicators/hazards irratic flashing

LJ_D

Reaction score
Hi, just bought a 2003 Audi A3 1.9 TDI PD130.

Went to garage and put some fuel in and realised when I opened car the indicators didn't flash in sequence, i.e one would flash then the other, I thought maybe it's because driver's door opens first then the rest of press unlock button again.

So off I go down the motorway and someone lets me move lane, so I move over and flash my hazards a few times to say thanks, and once again the indicators aren't flashing at same time.

I've done a little Google and found what seems to be a common fault with the "flasher unit" is it?!

Also my rear wiper doesn't work, washer motor does but nothing comes out. That's probably blocked pipe and a fuse right?!

Anyway, seems a good forum here and hope someone can help me out. I have posted in the welcome section and put a pic or two up of my first Audi.

T.I.A

Hi and welcome

Indicators is generally the flasher unit which is all built into the hazard switch...easy enough to...

Rear wiper motors are fairly common failures in all things VAG... you can try the fuse but they do have a tendency to fail
Here is how to remove them..
http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a3...sh_system/removing_and_installing_rear_wiper/

Rear washers is normally the opposite of a blocked pipe... the pipe is joined in several places using a push fit connector... these have a habit of popping apart... don't recall exactly where they all are but a search of the forum should net you a few results... from memory there is a connection near the rear thats a prime candidate

Here is a vague idea of what to expect from the parts catalogue
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/2001-209/9/955-955020/

<tuffty/>

Ok, thanks for quick reply.

I'm working away till Friday so can't even drive it yet till then :frown:.

I'll check whether the indicators themselves flash more than a few times before they go off, apparently that's another symptom of flasher unit.

Rear wiper, yeah I'll check fuse first, if no success, motor will get replaced, can't not have a rear wiper, I like to see out the rear window haha.

Thanks again.

Is this the part that I need to cure my hazards/indicators.... Screenshot 20171004 075812

Right ok cool. Well I rang the garage yesterday and they offered to replace them with most probably scrappy parts.

So rather than me make the house and half drive back, then waiting how ever long for them to do it, they offered to send me £50 towards the costs of the flasher unit and rear wiper motor which I can get both off eBay for £60, the wiper motor having 5 year warranty also.