The dreaded engine check light

RussW

Reaction score
So on the way to work today the dreaded engine check light came on (solid not flashing). Car feels no different to normal but i have no vcds to check the fault.

Is there anyone in the South Norfolk / North Suffolk area that can help me out or point me in the direction of someone who can, save going to a main dealer.

Sometimes the engine light is just that too many smaller error codes have been logged, so it may be nothing to worry about, but best get it checked out. There is a vcds map at the top of the page to find someone locally.

Reactions: RussW
Petrol? diesel?

When my light came on my car felt absolutely no different too, but the EGR valve needed replacing, usually that affects how it runs

Thanks for the reply chaps i managed to find a local garage. It was my DPF not regenerating and a sensor in the exhaust was covered in junk from the previous owners usage. Had it cleaned and the DPF was reset and all seems well again.

it was codes P0471, P2453, P2002 for anyone interested

Make sure you do regular decent journeys to give the DPF time to do its job, otherwise it's gonna give you endless trouble

I only commute 6 miles each way for work now, and despite mine being an early non-DPF model, I still make a point of giving it a good run for about an hour on the motorway once or twice a week. diesels aren't good for short runs

Yeah my commute is a good 25mins of quick roads, ive only had the car 2 weeks im guessing the previous owner was stuck in traffic alot or doing short runs

Hi Russ, I recently had this same fault on my 2010 A3 TDI. My sensor (DPF differential pressure sensor was very clean but giving incorrect readings. It was around £75 from Audi and needs vagcom to adapt after fitting.

Thought I'd let you know just in case the fault returns.