Was anyone unimpressed wit their S3, but then grew to love it?

I think it's a probably a wise idea to have a lengthy test drive to make a more informed decision. The YouTube vlogger, Seen Through Glass, lives in London also and he's currently looking to replace his daily driver which is an Abarth. Perhaps worth even seeing what he considers? I guess it all comes down to budget. If you're considering an S3 then why not look at a Golf R as well? Performance wise a fairly like-for-like alternative to the S3.

Right, thanks everyone. I've got all the info I needed, time to go away and make a decision. A couple of defensive Kevs have alerted me to the fact that I've spent enough time here. I have a feeling things are going to go downhill from this point.

Thank you to everyone who offered their advice, it's been a huge help. Feeling much better about getting this car now - realised I just have to be realistic about what it is, and concentrate on its many positives.

Reactions: mister.c.
Do you know anywhere in the south east that allows a long test drive? I phoned seven or eight dealerships and none of them did anything except accompanies tests. I even complained about it on the Audi Facebook page and they said it was because of insurance purposes.

I'm considering a Porsche Cayenne as another vehicle, and they let me have one for the whole weekend.

When me and the good wife went in to change the A4 and S5 for a TT and S3 at the end of last year the salesman who we always deal with gave me the keys to the demo S3 and said come back whenever you like. Funnily enough he disappeared with my wife to drive the TT! Anyway, if it gets us a discount............. lol
Not uncommon for us to get cars for full days or weekends so we're lucky to have access to a dealer who does this and also great Scottish driving roads on our doorstep.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
You're still missing the part where the car is not a total failure. It ticks enough boxes for me to want it, and to justify the money, I just expected to "love" it, and I didn't. So I'm on here asking if people's opinions of it have changed over time. It's really not that controversial.

Genuinely, this has really made me chuckle. So thank you for that. Please do not take this personally.

I can imagine the situation:
Six months after purchasing the S3 you take it back to the dealer and say you want a refund.
Dealer says "Why Sir?"
You Say "I didn't really like the car when I purchased it but it ticked enough of my boxes but more importantly, twelve people on Audi-Sport.net told me that I would grow to love it...but that hasn't happened"

Reactions: JDHOWELLS and PanamaS3
I'll forgive you for being blunt, but I'll also forgive you for apparently not being able to read the part of the post where I flat-out admit that the comparison is hardly fair. Unfortunately, I can only go on the information I have available, hence why I'm on here trying to get more. Does that seem less stupid to you, now?
fair enough lol.....i forgot to add the bit about why bother asking people for their opinions when only really yours matters after having a proper test drive :)
ok...now I will be more subjective and less facetious....my car grew on me the more I modded it but never have I wanted to change the interior. not much beats it in a straight line...you might get annoyed with the turbo lag and DSG hesitation/foibles....B&O stereo is great....offset driving position can be a little annoying....see it for what it is and you should enjoy it

Reactions: Jimbo10, Flying Scotsman and JDHOWELLS
Clear downgrade? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Jimbo10
Haven't read anyone else's comments or your full first post, but yeah I got the s3 and was bored of it within a few days. Really hated it in fact.

2 years on, after giving it to my wife to drive instead, I've got it back and I'm finally starting to enjoy it.
I'm still young (27) and I wanted something louder and faster, I looked at everything in those 2 years. From a45 to c63, gtr, r8, rs6 v10!

Something about the s3 kept bringing me back to it.
Now that it's been stripped out. Behind the front seats is empty with a turbo back exhaust, it's great fun.

I plan to go stage 3 within a year.

Yeah sure I still have moments when I don't like it, but now that it has a more 'asbo' flare to it, I enjoy it more than ever.

Reactions: MikeParkin and PanamaS3
I think the S3's understated feel and look is what appeals. I get both frustrated and bored with mine when mooching round town or commuting on busy motorway but I would anycar, apart from small engined revy little go cart things that can feel wild at no speed at all. Then you find yourself with a bit of space on the road and without being reckless or stupid the car with effortless speed (on corner exit if you kept it tidy going in) starts to make a lot of sense. Get B&O and when the roads are dull you can entertain yourself with the sounds. I loved mine, got bored with it, now love it again. Think that's the story of my S3 ownership and will continue to be.

Reactions: PanamaS3
My opinion is don't buy the Audi, stick with another BMW 4*series coupe a LCI or look at the S5, the S5 coupe or Sportback is in the same category as the Grand Coupe,as for the S3's interior it needs tarted up with a few options before it starts to really look the part, yeah the steering is devoid of feel most Audi cars are the same barring the TT/TTS try one of them great deals to be had on the TTS and S5"s although the TTS cabin is even less busier than the S3's

Reactions: PanamaS3
My opinion is don't buy the Audi, stick with another BMW 4*series coupe a LCI or look at the S5, the S5 coupe or Sportback is in the same category as the Grand Coupe,as for the S3's interior it needs tarted up with a few options before it starts to really look the part, yeah the steering is devoid of feel most Audi cars are the same barring the TT/TTS try one of them great deals to be had on the TTS and S5"s although the TTS cabin is even less busier than the S3's
Agree with this, you're not really comparing apples with apples, S3 obviously being a hatch and 4 series a cruiser.

My previous car was the latest gen TT and although it's lesss busier it does feel of a better quality inside and compared to my 3 door there isn't much difference practicality wise.

The current A3/s3 is around 5 years old now, interior wise it's stayed pretty current with the odd tweak.

Your post was always going to get Audi owners backs up.

Reactions: PanamaS3, Rolly12 and Jassyo06
Loved mine from the first minute, easy to drive, stupidly quick, sounds mega, looks mega. Everything I want in a car. I'm very straight forward.

We've had a few people on here now come from crazy hot hatches like the Renaults and have regretted it.

Reactions: MattSedg and rvtb101
Hey, thanks for such a lengthy reply, I think we've come from very similar cars. I'm feeling much more positive about this car after reading your post; I suppose this is clearly an issue of understanding that I've bought a different style of vehicle. I think that's the part I'm going to get used to. I know I'm not in love with my BMW, so perhaps I'm being slightly unfair with my expectations.

Cheers pal!

Im sure you can request longer test drives, like a day for example just to really test the car out before making a financial commitment. Maybe worth a mention to your dealer to see if poasible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06
Funny you mention the C Class Cabriolet. I had a C300 AMG Cabriolet for a week when my S3 was in for repair. I initially was disappointed in the S3 coming from an 8P A3 but grew to like it more. After the C class I now like the S3 a lot more. As mentioned before, the tablet on the dash is very bad plus the software feels 5 years old. It was more spacious inside (at least in the front) but the centre console is too big and impairs leg room for me, plus no foot rest (It's funny because some people complain that the S3 only has one of the left side but golf has it on both). I did think the car was too big for what it was but driving it with the roof down was great.

Maybe this would get you motivated.. From last Sunday's Fast4Ward drag event in China, Stage 3 500bhp S3 vs LP700-4... Note that the Lambo had a perfect launch and the S3 actually caught it at the end! It went 10.186 2nd fastest TTE525 record, with 10.136 being the fastest, also Stage 3 S3 from the same event.

Edit.. I must be drunk, should be 10.186 and 10.136 respectively LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeParkin, PanamaS3, Djs3saloon and 2 others
Maybe this would get you motivated.. From last Sunday's Fast4Ward drag event in China, Stage 3 500bhp S3 vs LP700-4... Note that the Lambo had a perfect launch and the S3 actually caught it at the end! It went 11.186 2nd fastest TTE525 record, with 11.136 being the fastest, also Stage 3 S3 from the same event.

That's definitely not what every potential S3 buyer looks for especially in the UK mate.....

Reactions: David McQueen and Rolly12
Maybe this would get you motivated.. From last Sunday's Fast4Ward drag event in China, Stage 3 500bhp S3 vs LP700-4... Note that the Lambo had a perfect launch and the S3 actually caught it at the end! It went 11.186 2nd fastest TTE525 record, with 11.136 being the fastest, also Stage 3 S3 from the same event.

All from a 2L 4 pot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Djs3saloon
Thought I'd update this 18 months in. Giving the S3 back in a week, as my Model 3 Performance is arriving.

I DID learn to love the car in the end. So many things about it that I like, I'll consider it one of the greats as far as my previous ownerships go. Lots to dislike, too, but ultimately, it was a brilliant, brilliant car, and I'll be sad to see it go.

Thought I'd update this 18 months in. Giving the S3 back in a week, as my Model 3 Performance is arriving.

I DID learn to love the car in the end. So many things about it that I like, I'll consider it one of the greats as far as my previous ownerships go. Lots to dislike, too, but ultimately, it was a brilliant, brilliant car, and I'll be sad to see it go.

I was the opposite, it was a car I wanted for a 2 - 3 years, was excited when picked it up but ultimately underwhelmed by it. A very safe car which was so good at being quick but didn’t offer enough excitement or engagement for me.

Reactions: Mark_86 and SaraS3
I did expect more when I first bought it then grew to like it then got bored of it. I do feel like it lacks character. When I got my RS3, I did appreciate the S3 more than when I had it because it does some things very well, if you take out exhaust noise, it feels like a better car to drive in the city than the RS3 due to less turbo lagg and maybe less weight too. I think the perfect S3 would be one with a tuned down 5 cylinder RS3 engine but I get that it won't happen because of regulations etc.

3 months in and still in love with mine. I was always pretty happy with my A3, it was just missing sound and power which the S3 now fulfils.

From the outside definitely best in class looks. Sporty but with a touch of class which none of the BMW/VW/Merc possess. They all have a slight chaviness to them.

Inside is a refined, comfortable and nice place to be while cruising down the motorway listening to excellent B&O. I like that everything is black and matches.

Dad had a loaner new C Class Coupe, top spec and there was just so much going on inside with so many different finishes. Was a jumble sale. The plastic of a shocking quality, like from a Citroen. The 3ft long iPad was just stuck on to the dash.

Get to a country lane and it’s breaking point is way past where I’m brave enough to push it, it sticks like **** to the road even in rain. Feels very safe but still fun. Overtakes are handled with a bit too much ease.

I guess, my only criticism is that it’s a bit too easy to drive fast. You don’t have to put much effort in. Having driven smaller cars which are more nippy it lacks that kind of go kart feel to it.

On balance though it’s so good in the majority of areas there’s nothing else in class I’d even look at.

Reactions: pburv
I didn't get attached to my S3 and sold it within 6 months and only 2,000 miles. I've had lots of cars, about 30 including a 3 litre bmw and my last car was a c250d Mercedes estate before the S3.
It just didn't click with me. I would sit there thinking how bland the interior was and I missed the merc. In comfort mode, it had a slight lag on it and as I don't use the paddles, I found the lag annoying, I also didn't want to drive around in sport mode.
I bought the s3 at the end of June and I traded it in with just over 2,000 miles on a couple of weeks ago.
I had always wanted a C43 so thought I'd treat myself when one came up at the right price. Its black and if I'd have bought new, I'd have had white again like my 250d but I thought it was too good to miss being my preferred shape, estate and the premium model. No lag on it and although no one expects good mpg, I'm getting 36 mpg local driving and 38 mpg driving it back on the motorway from buying it. Better mpg than the s3 but it wasn't important as long as it wasn't under 20 mpg.
I know other people love their Audi but I just didn't love it so changed it for something I'd wanted for a long time. I wouldn't buy one unless you love it
I didn't realise this is an old post. He's had time to buy several cars now

Last edited:
I didn't get attached to my S3 and sold it within 6 months and only 2,000 miles. I've had lots of cars, about 30 including a 3 litre bmw and my last car was a c250d Mercedes estate before the S3.
It just didn't click with me. I would sit there thinking how bland the interior was and I missed the merc. In comfort mode, it had a slight lag on it and as I don't use the paddles, I found the lag annoying, I also didn't want to drive around in sport mode.
I bought the s3 at the end of June and I traded it in with just over 2,000 miles on a couple of weeks ago.
I had always wanted a C43 so thought I'd treat myself when one came up at the right price. Its black and if I'd have bought new, I'd have had white again like my 250d but I thought it was too good to miss being my preferred shape, estate and the premium model. No lag on it and although no one expects good mpg, I'm getting 36 mpg local driving and 38 mpg driving it back on the motorway from buying it. Better mpg than the s3 but it wasn't important as long as it wasn't under 20 mpg.
I know other people love their Audi but I just didn't love it so changed it for something I'd wanted for a long time. I wouldn't buy one unless you love it
I didn't realise this is an old post. He's had time to buy several cars now

Doesn't sound like you played around with it much. Unless you got mag ride, there's not much difference between comfort mode and dynamic mode, and if you did have mag ride, you can always play around with the settings in Individual mode to get it how you like it. I drive all the time in dynamic mode but with the gearbox in D mode, not S mode. Unless it's the peddle sensitivity you're talking about, which you just get used to or some people get a pedalbox.

Those C43 mpgs are quite surprising. It's higher than what Mercedes say, their website for the C43 Estate is 28.9 MPG combined (28.0 - 29.4 MPG although WLTP is 27.4 - 28.8 MPG). It's also a heavier car by around 200-300kg depending on the S3 model with a 3 litre V6, so very strange MPG numbers to me.

The S3 from factory has been tuned in a way that makes it a touch dull and lifeless but safe and forgiving. Yes its pretty quick but you dont realise what the beast is really capable of until you have a stage 2 tune which transforms the car into quite a brute. The drive is far more aggressive, exciting, unforgiving, not to mention the endless power and acceleration in any gear. This is how the car should have been from the factory IMO but Audi ruined it a little with their boring down-tune. So I do get why some people are not that impressed by it especially if they have come from other fast cars.