spark plug problem

Reaction score
20170912 144504
Hi
My car started to shutter pretty badly so i put on my reader but no codes where there. So i decided to take out the plugs and as you can see from the picks 1 is not looking so good. They have only done about 3500 miles since they where last changed. The one on the right is from cylinder 4.I changed them out for a new set to day but problem is still there. Can any one suggest what i should try next? Car is not driveable the way it is.

The one on the right is covered in black carbon deposits which suggests an incomplete/impaired combustion. As a forum guess I would put £5 each way on the ignition coil. Often impaired ignition coils give either ambiguous "misfire" error codes or nothing specific at all.

They also look quite oily?? After just 3500 miles they should look as fresh as a daisy.

The four came out pretty oily number 2 especially but number 4 was black and caked in carbon. What would be causing all the oil? Is there a gasket i should change to stop this or is this worn rings.

valve cover gasket is shot

Reactions: Retroman
Does the engine actually use oil. I used to have an 1850 dolomite many moons ago that had a bad oil consumption problem that caused similar problems with the plugs. How many miles has the car done.

The oil - sounds like what NickVC said is right. I don't know your engine but with most OHC engines the spark plugs are positioned down in little holes or channels and oil leaking from the cam/valve covers can cause a puddle of oil around the spark plug. However, as your car still misfired immediately after fitting new plugs I don't reckon the misfire is caused by oil fouling either from a cam/valve cover gasket leak or some internal engine oil problem. Still good practice to cure a gasket leak though.

In the top picture the plug with cleaner spark end electrodes looks like it has some electrical corrosion deposits on the part which plugs into the ignition source. Does your car have HT leads from a single coil pack or individual coils on each plug? If the former, what is the condition of the leads? After 10-years or so there is no harm in replacing them.

Thanks for the replys everyone. I will get a compression test done and see how that turns out. Then ill try the leads and new rocker cover gasket. The car isnt useing much oil my have to put in a bit each month but not any great amount.

Might be worth using the right plugs too, those look way too projected into the bore and are 6kohm.

Pfr6q are 1kohm and aren't as projected

Use PFR7Q if you want a grade cooler
bd094d3efef5cbcd445d9e3b75630925.jpg

Reactions: Jay 01 s3
Those plugs where put in the car when i got it serviced so didnt think id need to check they had used the correct one's. I only had them out cause of the problem. It still does not explain why cylinder 4 was so sooted. I have it booked in for friday at a different garage for a compression test and a look over. I will point out to them that the other garage have used the wrong plugs.