2010 3.0 TDI S-Tronic Allroad

Aqualea90

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Had an S3 about 2 years ago and sold it due to needing a bigger car. I have a 535d at the minute and the gearbox is on its way out and I want to get rid of it before its too late!

I am going to see a 2010 Allroad 3.0TDI S-Tronic this week. It has 125k. Mileage doesn't really worry be as my S3 has 120k and it felt perfect so id like the think the diesel would be the same if not better.

I am trying to find some information on what to look out for when I go to view the car. Are there any issues of niggles that any of you have come across with this engine, gearbox or chassis?
At that mileage I would expect to see proof of a haldex service?? Just remember people talking about that for the S3, but not sure if its the same system for the Allroad.
Also, my E61 has air suspension at the rear and the compressor is a pretty common thing to fail on these, are the A4's the same or are they just on springs?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Had an S3 about 2 years ago and sold it due to needing a bigger car. I have a 535d at the minute and the gearbox is on its way out and I want to get rid of it before its too late!

I am going to see a 2010 Allroad 3.0TDI S-Tronic this week. It has 125k. Mileage doesn't really worry be as my S3 has 120k and it felt perfect so id like the think the diesel would be the same if not better.

I am trying to find some information on what to look out for when I go to view the car. Are there any issues of niggles that any of you have come across with this engine, gearbox or chassis?
At that mileage I would expect to see proof of a haldex service?? Just remember people talking about that for the S3, but not sure if its the same system for the Allroad.
Also, my E61 has air suspension at the rear and the compressor is a pretty common thing to fail on these, are the A4's the same or are they just on springs?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

I have a 2012 Allroad 3.0Tdi, from new, with 45,000 miles. They don't have airsprings, so no leaks to worry about. They don't use Haldex, its a 60/40 torsen system, but can shuffle power front/back as needed. Not sure about 'servicing' the torsen though. Make sure it's had S-tronic services, should be every 40,000 ish if I remember correctly. Awesome car, I love mine!

As above, there is no Haldex system, just a purely mechanical rear differential. Gearbox servicing at the proper mileage is essential! These early gearboxes were more prone to failure than the ones built from 2012 onward due to the mechatronic unit not being as well insulated from the hot oil as the new design.

Gearbox servicing MUST be done every 38,000 miles as an absolute minimum. More often is fine, less often is not, and you really don't want to buy a bad one. The Mechatronic unit costs £2500-ish to replace and a replacement gearbox is pushing about £12,000!! However there are now companies which can repair these, so costs will be less, but still not cheap.

Best bet is just be sure you get one that has had proper maintenance of the gearbox. However I believe that other than that the 3.0 TDI engine is pretty bullet proof, as is the rest of the 4WD drive train.