Facelift Not sure if I should get the new facelift model or not.

Puppertail

Reaction score
I am planning to buy my first Audi A3 but I am not sure if I should get the pre facelift model or the new facelift model (2016)

Pros - the facelift will always be newer
Cons - cheaper and before 2016 so technically I'll be getting a 2015 reg.

So what is the difference between old and new facelift? All the specs still the same? I know that he new facelift the front is like the car is smiling but is that it? Will I get any other cool features? Is the appearance exactly the same? What about the back of the car is it still the same appearance?

Appreaciate the help I am a super nooby sorry for the dumb questions :)

Ignore my grammar I am typing this on my crappy phone

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Well as for "cool features" you can get Virtual Cockpit on the facelift, which is pretty awesome.

Reactions: sve170
The facelift is a lot more tech savvy even without tech pack and the user interface is a lot nicer IMO

Reactions: oaf and amb66
The facelift is a lot more tech savvy even without tech pack and the user interface is a lot nicer IMO
Hi what do you mean more tech savvy? Do you have the list vs new facelift?
I'm more of a appearance guy so is the appearance exactly the same? I know the front is different because the new facelift is like a smiley face

The facelift has the updated MMI system which is a lot nicer to use.

Reactions: oaf and sve170
Sort of related - I love Audi's but I'm really struggling to fall in love with the new styling philosophy they've adopted for the current generation of models. The facelifted A3 is a relatively minor change but the new A4 is a noticeable downgrade on the old model I think. Looks far too functional.

Horses for courses I guess. The rear is slightly different on the new A3 too, the rear diffuser is much more chunky particularly on S-line models.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I am planning to buy my first Audi A3 but I am not sure if I should get the pre facelift model or the new facelift model (2016)

Pros - the facelift will always be newer
Cons - cheaper and before 2016 so technically I'll be getting a 2015 reg.

So what is the difference between old and new facelift? All the specs still the same? I know that he new facelift the front is like the car is smiling but is that it? Will I get any other cool features? Is the appearance exactly the same? What about the back of the car is it still the same appearance?

Appreaciate the help I am a super nooby sorry for the dumb questions :)

Ignore my grammar I am typing this on my crappy phone
Depends on what specific model you're looking at to get a direct comparison.

Sort of related - I love Audi's but I'm really struggling to fall in love with the new styling philosophy they've adopted for the current generation of models. The facelifted A3 is a relatively minor change but the new A4 is a noticeable downgrade on the old model I think. Looks far too functional.

Horses for courses I guess. The rear is slightly different on the new A3 too, the rear diffuser is much more chunky particularly on S-line models.

I kind of know what you mean and I think most of it is down to the front grille. It seems to be far more prominent now and looks like it "juts out" more.

Whilst I like the overall redesign on the A3 facelift, I'm a bit meh about the new grille but will live with it.

This will be contentious but I'm afraid to say I really really don't like the new A5. The front is far too "pointy". I've seen several in the flesh in the dealer and I just don't like it at all, it's like the front has been put into a giant pencil sharpener :)

Reactions: Rideen and amb66
Depends on what specific model you're looking at to get a direct comparison.
I want the S Line model + new facelift. Do you have any pictures for pre facelift sline vs New facelift s Line? I can't find any online they don't put the correct pictures. Do you think you can find it? I really apprexite it

Thank you. May I ask what is the rear diffuser? And what is rear? Sorry I'm still a newbie when it comes to cars

Budget Budget....2015 Pre face lift cheaper much cheaper,the facelift car is just superficial changes nothing drastic dont listen to most members on here because they have not owned a pre face lift car......face lift cars are all gadgets/optional extras....if you choose to pay for them that is,you'll get a enormously specced used A3 for £2ok or less with around 18k miles.

The face lift car has new rear led tail lights and Led headlights it has a modified front bumper with a slimmer looking headlight design....and a slightly different rear diffuser that only forum anoraks could tell the difference
Pre face lift
A ripper of a classic sepang spotback 1
Ripper of a sepang sportback2
A collection day 1

FACE LIFT
A Navarra Blue BLACK EDITION
A Navarra Blue BLACK EDITION 2

Reactions: Audi Bairn, glospete and Puppertail
Budget Budget....2015 Pre face lift cheaper much cheaper,the facelift car is just superficial changes nothing drastic dont listen to most members on here because they have not owned a pre face lift car......face lift cars are all gadgets/optional extras....if you choose to pay for them that is,you'll get a enormously specced used A3 for £2ok or less with around 18k miles.

The face lift car has new rear led tail lights and Led headlights it has a modified front bumper with a slimmer looking headlight design....and a slightly different rear diffuser that only forum anoraks could tell the difference
Pre face lift
View attachment 135790View attachment 135791 View attachment 135792

FACE LIFT
View attachment 135793 View attachment 135794
I see. So if you want the newer specs and only if you pay for them then get the new facelift model? SO if I get the default new facelift model, then all the specs in the default model will have in the pre facelift model? So apapreance is exactly the same but the front smiley face is different.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I see. So if you want the newer specs and only if you pay for them then get the new facelift model? SO if I get the default new facelift model, then all the specs in the default model will have in the pre facelift model? So apapreance is exactly the same but the front smiley face is different.

Basically apart from the wider front and fancier led front and rear lights mate....

Pretty much. Aside from the slight visual changes pictured above, there are some technology changes such as an updated interface for the MMI, Apple Carplay & Android Auto support and the availability of the virtual cockpit. If any of these features are important to you, or you particularly want the new exterior look, the you need a facelift model. If not then you can potentially save a fair bit by going for a pre-facelift.

I kind of know what you mean and I think most of it is down to the front grille. It seems to be far more prominent now and looks like it "juts out" more.

Whilst I like the overall redesign on the A3 facelift, I'm a bit meh about the new grille but will live with it.

This will be contentious but I'm afraid to say I really really don't like the new A5. The front is far too "pointy". I've seen several in the flesh in the dealer and I just don't like it at all, it's like the front has been put into a giant pencil sharpener :)

Apart from the RS5... that's just uber sexual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I'd actually include the RS5 too as the nose is pretty much the same - really don't like it.

It's weird - I think the new A4 looks far better than the old A4 (which had a really 'sad' or 'droopy' expression) but prefer the old A5 to the new one.

I much prefer the facelift to the pre facelift. Glad i waited for it when ordering mine. I didnt even know what it looked like when i ordered lol

Love my big smiley face rather than the sad face the pre facelift has lol

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
If you are looking at the S3, the face lift version is a little quicker and makes significantly better noises....

(Clearly these are the ONLY criteria by which to choose a vehicle....:grinning:)

Reactions: sve170 and Jcbmally
Go for the face lift. I have a neighbor who has the PFL and I have the FL model. The FL model has a nicer front end and meaner headlights plus have a slightly tweeked map... giving more HP

Reactions: sve170 and The Challinor
Yes, definitely. Much more.

No where near a dynamic pack equipped RS3, but lift off and down shifting in manual will get you pops and bangs when in dynamic mode....

It’s genuinely a significant change.

Reactions: The Challinor
Worth stating that I ran a pre facelift and then a facelift S3 Sportback for 2 years, each....

FL was a better car - more power and a 7 speed DSG (always felt on the motorway that the pre FL could have done with the extra gear) and virtual cockpit too.

Loved them both.

Reactions: oaf
You reckon the FL makes more noise do you?
It farts on downshifting between 3rd to 2nd, on acceleration there's not much difference at all, the 7 speed box is the best upgrade on the face lift car, like l keep saying, as for anything else that l think has been improved on the car, well that's all down to going for the sedan this time around , wider track, wider tyres, magnetic dampers have improved the handling a good bit over my 225/40/18 non magnetic damped sport back, virtual Cockpit is good but it's expensive

To be honest if l had to keep the car below the £40k threshold l would go with a S3 saloon, instead of buying a sportback and filling it with some options @Daveotto did this and he had a 2015 Sportback as well

Worth stating that I ran a pre facelift and then a facelift S3 Sportback for 2 years, each....

FL was a better car - more power and a 7 speed DSG (always felt on the motorway that the pre FL could have done with the extra gear) and virtual cockpit too.

Loved them both.

Everyone seems to rave about the 7 speed box, I had a test drive couple weeks ago and could definitely notice the speed difference most likely down to the new gear box. It did feel more responsive, steering felt different too I noticed.

The sales guy was nice but talked a lot so no pop / bangs noticed

To be honest if l had to keep the car below the £40k threshold l would go with a S3 saloon, instead of buying a sportback and filling it with some options @Daveotto did this and he had a 2015 Sportback as well

Saloon over SB with bells and whistles any day and the Saloon is far more under the radar and a far better overall driving experience (mag ride and wider 19’s etc).

I could have added a few more options on my manual to keep it under £40k but not an option now unfortunately.

Might be able to spec a DSG with my option list in my sig and still be under £40k

It farts on downshifting between 3rd to 2nd, on acceleration there's not much difference at all, the 7 speed box is the best upgrade on the face lift car, like l keep saying, as for anything else that l think has been improved on the car, well that's all down to going for the sedan this time around , wider track, wider tyres, magnetic dampers have improved the handling a good bit over my 225/40/18 non magnetic damped sport back, virtual Cockpit is good but it's expensive

I did have a wobble this week and spec a saloon, I’d just sod the limit and have what I want. It’s arguably more of a change from my HB. For my needs I just don’t find the boot as practical ( I run my own IT company so quite often have to carry large boxes etc ), always likes the hatch style boot opposed to the saloon flap.

I’ve got the whole mini estate thing going on in my head far too much now to change. I just really like the look roof rails give the SB - oddly I can’t stand them without

Reactions: Audi Bairn and MattSedg
One thing I've noticed in the used market for the pre-FL is just how many don't have the Technology package, which means you get a significant downgrade (IMO) on the MMI screen in terms of size and resolution.

I personally wouldn't get a pre-FL without the tech pack, which narrows down the search a fair bit....you may not be bothered by a relatively trivial thing though :p

You don't have this issue on the FL, as all models now come with the same screen size and resolution, regardless of whether it has the technology package or not. Obviously the difference is now whether it has virtual cockpit or not.

One thing I've noticed in the used market for the pre-FL is just how many don't have the Technology package, which means you get a significant downgrade (IMO) on the MMI screen in terms of size and resolution.

I personally wouldn't get a pre-FL without the tech pack, which narrows down the search a fair bit....you may not be bothered by a relatively trivial thing though :p

You don't have this issue on the FL, as all models now come with the same screen size and resolution, regardless of whether it has the technology package or not. Obviously the difference is now whether it has virtual cockpit or not.

Yer I specced tech pack high + connect ( which works over 3 years in ). The standard screen was shocking, it was lower res then the Pioneer sat nav unit in my 8P S3 from 2008!

I drove a used FL S3 and then had the smaller screen with Virtual Cockpit - odd combo in my opinion, they must have offered this on early facelift models.

P.S. Are you after an S3 then

I just don’t find the boot as practical ( I run my own IT company so quite often have to carry large boxes etc ), always likes the hatch style boot opposed to the saloon flap.

Saloon boot opening is not as good as the SB but actual boot space is actually bigger than the SB.

With front seat as far forward as possible actually got some 6’ wardrobe panels in one piece and the whole disassembled triple wardrobe and interior fittings in on one liad to take over to the dump (recycling centre) earlier this week

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and The Challinor

The technology package was £1495 and with Audi connect it was £1795 on MY14 and MY15 so it was the most expensive optional extra ever on a A3 hence the rarity on cars at this age, on MY16 car Audi reduced the price of the technology package to £1000/£1300 respectively still expensive though, l paid £1795..... But ye live and learn

Reactions: glospete and DrEskimo
I did have a wobble this week and spec a saloon, I’d just sod the limit and have what I want. It’s arguably more of a change from my HB. For my needs I just don’t find the boot as practical ( I run my own IT company so quite often have to carry large boxes etc ), always likes the hatch style boot opposed to the saloon flap.

I’ve got the whole mini estate thing going on in my head far too much now to change. I just really like the look roof rails give the SB - oddly I can’t stand them without
You actually mean the Audi avant look with roof rails attached on a Sportback

DSC 0044

Reactions: Audi Bairn, MattSedg and The Challinor
The technology package was £1495 and with Audi connect it was £1795 on MY14 and MY15 so it was the most expensive optional extra ever on a A3 hence the rarity on cars at this age, on MY16 car Audi reduced the price of the technology package to £1000/£1300 respectively still expensive though, l paid £1795..... But ye live and learn

Yea it was the same on the S5. I stupidly thought the BE would come with Sat Nav as standard, as it did on the A5 BE. Nope..."that would be £1,400 for the tech pack Dr...."

As a result there are are fair few B8.5 (2012+) S5 BE's that don't even have Sat Nav.
At least you get a reversing camera with the tech pack as well though.

P.S. Are you after an S3 then

Ha...yea it ticked a lot of boxes as a car to have between me and Miss Eskimo. I had a FL S3 on factory order, but I cancelled it the week it turned up at the dealer....

Same, never regretted it though. The google earth view is worth the price alone.

I think a lot has tech pack but not connect, hence no Google earth view.

The Hulk is going to make its new owner very happy then

Same, never regretted it though. The google earth view is worth the price alone.

I think a lot has tech pack but not connect, hence no Google earth view.

The Hulk is going to make its new owner very happy then

i didnt regret either mate but l never got to use Google earth/connect as my son ****** that up and registered it in email address,he sold me the car,kept on asking him to sort it but l eventually gave up on it,its just a gimmick and l actually prefer the standard 3D mapping over Google Earth

How come you cancelled? Did you loose your deposit etc.

Don’t really need a car anymore, don’t want to spend so much on a new car and don’t want car finance were the main reasons.

I didn’t give a deposit so that made things easier...! I was a retention’s customer and they offered me a good deal at 16% discount and settling the S5 finance in P/X (ended up with +£500 by selling to indie dealer), but not for me...

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06