Google Maps Detail

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have to say that after speccing the Tech Pack High and the Virtual Cockpit, mainly for the Google Maps, I have to say I'm very disappointed.

I have travelled all over the UK and there are very few places that actually show any detail in Google Maps. The Maps are always blurred out as if there is no Maps available for this area.

IMG 2977 IMG 2978

My google earth doesn't look like that...

Neither does mine. I just traveled from Aberdeen down past Manchester and it gave full detail the whole way, never once has it looked like that...

Over the summer holidays we travelled from Derbyshire to the Cotswolds, to Devon, to Cornwall (occasional patchiness due to lack of data), Norfolk, North Yorkshire and the Lake District and always had a beautiful display. Can you do anything else, maybe load up audi connect and look for local parking info (which should give you good detail including prices)?

That doesn't look right at all to me either. I've travelled to a few middle of no where type places over here in Ireland where the google maps are not as high resolution as the towns and cities but its never looked like that....

And I only have the basic SD Nav MMI with smaller screen....

Hi All.

I have to say that after speccing the Tech Pack High and the Virtual Cockpit, mainly for the Google Maps, I have to say I'm very disappointed.

I have travelled all over the UK and there are very few places that actually show any detail in Google Maps. The Maps are always blurred out as if there is no Maps available for this area.

View attachment 135467 View attachment 135468
Something wrong with yours see here for an example of the detail you should have

Likewise - I've travelled from Brighton to Inverness before and never seen it look like that once! You certainly have a fault there. Tried a forced reboot? (Both metal selectors toward windscreen and press down on jog wheel)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All.

Like others above, mine works all the time. Out of interest, are you using the embedded sim, or your own sim? If the latter, who's the provider and is it a 4G sim card? Maybe it doesn't have the bandwidth requirements for the image data?

Hi All.

Also, the bottom right of your screen says 'TMC PRO'. This should say 'ONLINE' if the data services are working correctly. I suspect this is related to your issue. If using your own sim, does it have a data limit? Maybe also try taking it out and putting it back in...

That looks like the standard traffic map view, not Google Earth maps. There are 3 settings for maps.

I'm with EE and 10GB data on sim.

It's not traffic map view.

I get the proper view near work then most of the UK is blurred. It always has been since I got the car.

Mine works great nearly everywhere all the time, it's the first thing people comment on when they get in the car. When parked also get street view in towns.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is what I get at the same location, the name of map origin at the top of the screen is different.

IMG 3667

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Is the OP photos showing the standard Audi navigation? There is a google icon on bottom right , but looks to me like the display setting is standard....

Change your SIM card provider. I had this with the built in SIM it would disconnect right at the beginning of the journey and the system would screw up for the rest of the trip no matter how good reception was. As far as I know the built in SIM is EE, I put a Three SIM in back in June and I've never had this again, nor have I had the SIM card error message popup.

The provider is Cubic Telecom who use the EE Network here in the UK.
The image on my screenshot is shown from 'getmapping' this is different to the screenshot of the same area that the OP has shown, my car has never been to Lincoln so won't have 'cached' the image, which appeared immediately.
Mine is using the inbuilt SIM.