B7 Sat Nav Query

TimmyJK7

My other ride is a Street Triple
Reaction score
Website
www.kempqslimited.co.uk
Hi Guys,

I have a Concert single din head unit in my 2005 A4 Avant but I want to upgrade to the RNS-E, however it would appear by doing this i would loose the heating controls as not enough space to house both. Was there another option or would I have to go aftermarket single din flip out in order to keep the heating controls?

From seeing what other people have done converting from Single DIN to Double DIN you will need a Double DIN cage/centre console, plus you may need the correct ISO to QUADLOCK connections as the single DIN concert headunit will be using ISO connections.

I have not converted from Single DIN to Double DIN as my car came with the concert 2 headunit.

With regards to the heating controls, im not too sure if you can keep what you have or if you need the controls that sit slightly lower.

It can be done without having to stick with single DIN but its just how much are you willing to spend to do it. Prices are all over when it comes to stuff like this.

Although the rns-e is a nice unit I would warn you that the satnav on it is absolutely dire compared to almost any modern system, no touch screen and you have to use the dial to choose each letter. Only have the choice of the first part of the post code and then street name, very time consuming plus no re-routing from traffic updates. it only accepts 2GB SD cards for music storage and the files need to be over 128kbps quality otherwise it won't read them, I just swapped mine out for a new unit which has Bluetooth, dab and an android OS so I can use Google maps, Spotify etc. Huge improvement. It did cost a bit though.

When researching my car I knew I would eventually do this so looked into the method of swapping to double din just in case, if memory serves you can buy the new cage (~£60 eBay) and if you're handy you can trim the sides of your existing heater unit down to fit in the slimmer lower space - the slot is the same, it's just the fascia that is too wide. The only issue is the ash tray won't open fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jamie1087