Facelift Facelift S3 Reviews

Joe4842

Reaction score
Hi Guys (yes im still lurking on here lol)

Just wondering if any of you guys could post links or copy and paste your reviews of the FL S3 (if you have any)

Mainly wanting to focus on how the handling is with regards to the claimed understeer, comfort of mag ride or non magride.

thoughts on the Gearbox as some people say it isn't always the smoothest.

if you have remaps was it worthwhile

and real world economy figures.

Thanks in advance :)

Noises - FL is much louder and can give pops and bangs.

That and the quicker 0-60 time made me buy one.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Joe4842 and Andy F
Noises - FL is much louder and can give pops and bangs.

That and the quicker 0-60 time made me buy one.
how do you rate it on country roads? I currently have an st200 which I cant fault at all when ragging it up our lake district passes, just the extra power, noise, 4 wheel drive and a more 'classy' car that tempts me.

to me it seems like people only fault the handling because it is almost 'too safe' if you guys would agree? and its only when you are on the very limit or trying to force it to ****-up that it will understeer. is that fair enough to say?

I have a 3dr face lift with mout mag ride.

Interior - love, I'd say B&O and sports seats are a must along with VC but that's a bit marmite.

Noise - love the exhaust notes when being pushed, the car does fall fairly silent when not being pushed.

Gearbox, this is my 3rd auto and the best so far, I really haven't suffered the lag some people have, you just need to adjust to it, you can queue it up. It's extremely responsive in S mode and even more so when car is set to dynamic.

MPG, since February I have covered 8.5 k miles and average consumption is 36mpg, 95% of my mileage is on the motorway at 3rd lane speeds, for the power the mpg is very impressive.

Handling, I've never had any issues on the twisty roads near me but you just don't get much feel from the car. One negative is the driving position, the seats offer little support, you almost need to push yourself into them, they are pretty but not functional as a sport seat.

Maps - can't comment, mine is a pcp car which I will hand back.

Test drive is a must especially coming from an s2000, they are not comparable really.

Any other questions just ask.

Reactions: Joe4842 and Timi8888
I have a 5-dr Facelift with Mag ride. Love most things about it, just a bit soulless which is hard to quantify.

I love the sound, but it's not as nice as my old T5 Focus ST - just not enough popping on the over-run for my liking. The handling, as said really, it's a bit detached around the helm, basically a lack of steering feel. There is tons of grip from the AWD, but you really have to trust that the car will stick rather than feel whats going on. I don't get any bounce or lack of body control that seem to affect the non Mag ride cars, so it's a worth while investment I think. The body control is actually really impressive, stays very planted but the ride is generally very firm and harsh, even in comfort mode. The bumps don't tend to hit the cabin much mind, so it's isolated very well but you kinda feel it through the movement. If you can get it to under-steer in dry conditions on the road, the you are going 'way too' quick on a public road and need to be having a word with yourself. In the wet, yeah, it will under-steer, but no more than any FWD car... you can get power over-steer on exit of junctions and roundabouts, but not in the dry.

Gearbox, is a funny thing I've found. It's hard to get on with coming from a manual, but I think that's more me, than the car. I'm expecting it to do everything and straight away, where as I look it now with a more realistic view. Plant your foot on the floor and it has to drop down some cogs and there's hesitation as it decides what to do, but then, if it was a manual, I'd be dropping the clutch, changing gears and then back on the power, so get the same disruption. Same process, less effort basically.

I do find there's too much dead peddle on the throttle in anything but 'S' mode - that annoys me.

Interior wise, it's a lovely place to be. Standard MMi is better than what you're used to from the Fiesta, but not as good as some of the touch screens out there like the one in the Seat Leon. I use Apple CarPlay most of the time anyway, so I can live without it being brilliant and I'm just learning it's menu's now. Virtual cockpit is great, B&O sound system is awesome, Super sports seats are nice to look at, just wish they were abit tighter (S4 versions have adjustable bolsters!).

I terms of options, I really like the light bars in the doors. Hill hold is worth the £75 they charge (should be free) and Adaptive cruise control is fantastic! If you're going to be sat in traffic or do a lot of motorway miles, it's a god send.

MPG and running costs are okay, probably won't be much different to your Fiesta ST actually. I get around 29-32 mpg and 320-360 miles from a tank. That's with a proper mix of roads and some fun driving aswell, so pretty impressive. I've had 422 miles from a tank once!

I wouldn't remap it if you value the warranty - wait til it's out of that if you want to play with it. I hope that helps :)

In summary, a damn good car. But won't be as exciting as your ST200 to drive, but nicer to own.

Reactions: TYb and Timi8888
I have a 3dr face lift with mout mag ride.

Interior - love, I'd say B&O and sports seats are a must along with VC but that's a bit marmite.

Noise - love the exhaust notes when being pushed, the car does fall fairly silent when not being pushed.

Gearbox, this is my 3rd auto and the best so far, I really haven't suffered the lag some people have, you just need to adjust to it, you can queue it up. It's extremely responsive in S mode and even more so when car is set to dynamic.

MPG, since February I have covered 8.5 k miles and average consumption is 36mpg, 95% of my mileage is on the motorway at 3rd lane speeds, for the power the mpg is very impressive.

Handling, I've never had any issues on the twisty roads near me but you just don't get much feel from the car. One negative is the driving position, the seats offer little support, you almost need to push yourself into them, they are pretty but not functional as a sport seat.

Maps - can't comment, mine is a pcp car which I will hand back.

Test drive is a must especially coming from an s2000, they are not comparable really.

Any other questions just ask.
just realised it's an ST not S2000, same comments though.

Reactions: Joe4842, Audi Bairn and Mark_86
Picking up mine sometime in next few days. After reading these reviews it seems the right car for me :). Makes me feel like I chose the right options too!

Hi mate, I'm just round the corner from you if you're up for a drive around sometime?

Reactions: Joe4842 and Audi Bairn
Very similar comments to @TYb above.
My commute is 18 miles all on fast twisty back roads.
Yes there's the usual Audi lack of feel through the steering wheel but it's agile and, in full Dynamic, it's rapid.
Drive Select is great as I have the Individual setting tailored for a section of speed bumps in a village on the journey with softer suspension whilst everything else is in Dynamic.
I've got VC and love it but my regret is not getting B&O as the Audi sound system is merely average.
I'm an S Tronic fan having had it in my S5 and now the S3, even although I always thought I'd always be a manual guy through and through prior to that.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
Hi mate, I'm just round the corner from you if you're up for a drive around sometime?
Where are you based mate? I'd defo be up for that :)))

send me a Direct message if you want and we can sort something :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MrIceberg
Picking up mine sometime in next few days. After reading these reviews it seems the right car for me :). Makes me feel like I chose the right options too!
Are you moving from a 3rd gen TT? I moved from a TT ultra and the S3 is definitely a step up, was fond of the TT though, if stronic was available when I got it I think I would have stuck with it longer than I did.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Are you moving from a 3rd gen TT? I moved from a TT ultra and the S3 is definitely a step up, was fond of the TT though, if stronic was available when I got it I think I would have stuck with it longer than I did.
Yep mate I am. I regret getting the 1.8 tbh. I should have got the 2.0, with s tronic, with quattro, with B&O lol. Thats why I'm getting rid. Plus gear box isn't great shifting into first and a lot of jerkiness while in bumper to bumper traffic (making me look like I couldn't control the clutch). Can't fault its looks as its a stunning car, but really looking forward to picking up S3 next week!

Yep mate I am. I regret getting the 1.8 tbh. I should have got the 2.0, with s tronic, with quattro, with B&O lol. Thats why I'm getting rid. Plus gear box isn't great shifting into first and a lot of jerkiness while in bumper to bumper traffic (making me look like I couldn't control the clutch). Can't fault its looks as its a stunning car, but really looking forward to picking up S3 next week!
Sounds like we changed for the same reasons, it was very awkward in traffic, almost had to wait for large gaps before moving.

You'll definitely enjoy the S3, the engine really begins to open up a few thousand in.

Reactions: Mark_86
Should be picking it up next Thursday or Friday :) Very excited! But before that I have an extended demo in an R8 I need to book :O

Reactions: Audi Bairn and TYb