Auto hold assist

Hal Adams

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I know there was a recent detailed thread on this subject, but damned if I can find it!

I do not have the option, but the other day I would have welcomed it if I had! So, I am wondering about a retrofit - I am sure it is mostly activeted through coding, but are there any modules required?

My main question though - what exactly do you get with this option and how is it activated by the driver, or is it an 'always-on feature'?

There is a button next to the P brake to turn it on.
On other Audi models I know it was as simple as getting the button and coding it but not sure on the 8V platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know there was a recent detailed thread on this subject, but damned if I can find it!

I do not have the option, but the other day I would have welcomed it if I had! So, I am wondering about a retrofit - I am sure it is mostly activeted through coding, but are there any modules required?

My main question though - what exactly do you get with this option and how is it activated by the driver, or is it an 'always-on feature'?

This requires fitting of the on/off switch and associated wiring plus coding changes in ABS module........

Getting security access to the ABS module could be your stumbling block.....

Coupled with the costs involved of retro-fitting the switch etc.....makes the £90 at ordering time seem a bargain.

Thanks to you both. I agree for £90 (I thought it was 75..!) it is a no brainer, but obviously my PO thought not!

Do you know if perhaps the car is pre-wired for the switch? You are right, access to the ABS might need the full palava rather than just VCDS. I can check this easy enough.

Also, exactly what does it do - does it apply brakes every time (when switched on) you stop without any prompting, eg hills up, hills down, traffic lights etc? Is it like the Mercedes where it is simply applying slow preesure on the gas pedal to release? I have read things on the interent about double pressing the brake pedal to apply the feature on a hill..?

In my RS Q3, I have it always on and honestly think its a very good feature. It takes a bit of getting used to, when you come to a stand still in traffic etc, sometimes you find yourself still sitting with your foot on the brake. You don't need to and the handbrake warning will be illuminated green on the dash display meaning the handbrake is activated, the second you touch the throttle it releases.

The only thing to watch out for is if you pop your seat belt off and then apply the brakes the handbrake will come on and the dash display will turn red, you have to hold your foot on the brake pedal and manually release the little handbrake switch to release the handbrake in that instance. As you can imagine getting used to that in the first place created quite a few amusing scenes for the neighbors as you look like a learner driver trying to pull away with the handbrake on :)

Thanks to you both. I agree for £90 (I thought it was 75..!) it is a no brainer, but obviously my PO thought not!

Do you know if perhaps the car is pre-wired for the switch? You are right, access to the ABS might need the full palava rather than just VCDS. I can check this easy enough.

Also, exactly what does it do - does it apply brakes every time (when switched on) you stop without any prompting, eg hills up, hills down, traffic lights etc? Is it like the Mercedes where it is simply applying slow preesure on the gas pedal to release? I have read things on the interent about double pressing the brake pedal to apply the feature on a hill..?

c83338b564f7f43cbd84771c99ff0e50.png

See above.....

Car will not be 'pre wired'

It works be keeping the foot brake pressure applied when you come to a stop, a green brake light on the dash signals it's in use......

When the accelerator pedal is pressed to move off it auto disengages the brakes....

The 'other' one that's standard on the 8V is hill hold which holds the brakes for a couple of seconds only when the car senses an incline, so helps you to not roll backwards basically.

Auto hold is awesome. A joke that Audi makes it an option.

Two things now:
Is it necessary to switch the feature on each time the car is started, or does it remember and stay on each time?
You say it holds on hills for a couple of seconds. Does it not hold indefinitely??

You can do the same thing manually. When you come to a stop, activate the electronic parking brake, once you apply the gas pedal the brake will be automatically released.

Two things now:
Is it necessary to switch the feature on each time the car is started, or does it remember and stay on each time?
You say it holds on hills for a couple of seconds. Does it not hold indefinitely??
I had it on my Golf R. It was on automatically. It would hold indefinitely. Seamless and easy to use.

Two things now:

It remembers previous setting.

Hold indefinitely (yours as it is will hold for 2 seconds on a hill only).

When combined with start/stop and advanced key, exiting the car was is simple as put the gearbox in park and get out. It would switch off the engine and put the handbrake on for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two things now:

Easiest explanation, it's an automatic handbrake that means you don't have to hold your foot on the brake at the lights. It releases when you apply throttle and applies the handbrake fully automatically when you remove your belt, ignition off or open the door (very good). You will never have to touch your handbrake button again.

Thanks - it is clear now and exactly what I want!
Now, if anyone knows the p/n for the wiring. I'd be happy! (I can find the switch: 8V1927143A), but for the life of me can't find the harness number!