A4 B5 front speaker limitations? Can they be amped?

A4 stu

Reaction score
Having owned a B5 before I understand the limitations of the front speakers and fitting new ones.

In my old B5, I upgraded the fronts to a set of Pioneer 130cm components using the autoleads adaptors.

I noticed no difference using the standard Concert radio and was unimpressed with the sound even after changing the head unit. No bass and lots of rattles.

Clearly the car depends on the rears for the bass.

What results has anyone had by amping the standard speakers, front and/or rear using a proper amp? Either with the original radio or with a new head unit.

I'm aware the concert radio does have a pre-out option which I think will bypass the built in Audi EQ and bass reduction at volume? Does it sound any good when connected to an external amp? I suspect probably not!

I've never heard the Bose option. Is it that much better?

If I keep the Concert I will use the CD changer input as an aux in and mostly use my phone to play Spotify through it.

Stu.

I've amped the factory speakers in mine and it sounds great. I dont have a concert though, and i also have a sub, which allows me to run a high pass filter on the door speakers to trim out the bass.

Thanks for that Aragorn.

Have you amped the rear 6 inchers as well as the fronts? If so how do they perform.

When I fade to the rear the sound is very bass heavy and dull. The speakers are working fine but it sounds like there are no tweeters working when they are.

I'm hoping that's just the amp showing it's a bit rubbish.

My car doesn't have the rear door speakers.

It's the standard half amplified system.

Stu.

Mines an avant, so it has the rear door speakers rather than the shelf ones. But yes, all four are amped.

Currently using a JBL GTO4000, but its acting up, so i've bought a tiny wee class-D Pioneer GM-D1004 to replace it.