Looking at buying a 09-11 plate Audi S3, what to look for?

Hryszko

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As above, I am in the market for a used S3... The only preference I have is that it is the Automatic model. What do I need to look for when purchasing? Is there any known/common faults?

Cheers guys!

Joe

Depending on mileage, cam follower, timing belt and water pump, timing chain and tensioner, haldex service and dsg service has been done. Then your usual checks brakes tyres service history.
They are off the top of my head

Reactions: S3Alex
As above plus look for any modifications and if there are any,who did them and what was done plus a full service history.

The things that Max has listed above are the few things that can wreck these engines so well worth checking.

Great choice of car, but you should really try the search function out buddy :)

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/help-tips-on-buying-a-new-shape-s3.68308/

Here is what I'd ideally want to see on a well-maintained S3 if I was to buy now:
  • Good records on servicing, with original invoices
  • Regular engine oil service with high quality oil - ideally more often that Audi recommends
  • Recent carbon build-up decoke - depending on mileage, but a coked up car will feel sluggish under acceleration
  • Recent oil pick-up check/replacement- depending on mileage
  • High pressure fuel pump cam follower check/replacement - depending on mileage/state of tune tuned cars tend to wear them sooner
  • The 2.0L TFSI engine on these is on a loud side and does sound a little agricultural, but...
    • The main sound you should hear is the clicking of the injectors, like a sawing machine
    • Usual basic engine checks apply here as always
    • Top end booming sound from the head may indicate ongoing or past oil starvation - walk away
    • Regular/semi-regular clunking/clicking noise from the top right of the engine (next to battery) may indicate worn cam chain guides, stretched cam chain or broken cam chain tensioner - About 500-600 to replace the assembly, but I'd walk away as this may cause more serious damage to engine that may not be apparent
    • In general, make sure to see as many S3's you can before buying in order to understand what a healthy TFSI engine sounds like - very important, as people will feed you stories of "they all sound like diesels"
  • DSG box:
    • DSG fluid and filter service should be performed regularly
    • Gear changes should be smooth, with no noises or jerkiness
      • Test drive more than one to get a feel for what a good one should feels like
      • When test driving makes sure to use the D, S and manual mode
      • Make sure to do the above in all gears, under light and aggressive acceleration
    • Switching between 1st gear and reverse should not generate any clunks
    • Don't listen to people, who tell you that "they all make those noises" or "it's normal" - make sure to know what a good DSG box feels and sounds like
  • They are generally well-built, solid cars, so any unusual noises from the running gear should be queried - as with any used car purchase, walk away if you have doubts... Not a single highly desirable feature or color is worth dealing with a broken engine and spending thousands to fix later

Reactions: Hookmonster and Max Read
Hi mate,

Sorry I am brand new to this forum, Didn't realise there was a search function!!

Thank you for the in detail responses, will take some time to read through it all now!

In addition to the above, check for knocking from the front end when traveling over a bumpy surface.
Steering racks can be suspect on higher mileage cars. Had mine done at 95K.

In addition to the above, check for knocking from the front end when traveling over a bumpy surface.
Steering racks can be suspect on higher mileage cars. Had mine done at 95K.

Okay perfect, I have always been a bit suspect of high mileage cars... for example i would pick a 35k mileage car over a 95k mileage car purely on the low mileage (as long as it was fully serviced up to date etc) where as my friend says the mileage doesn't really matter as long as it has been properly looked after etc. What do you think?

Okay perfect, I have always been a bit suspect of high mileage cars... for example i would pick a 35k mileage car over a 95k mileage car purely on the low mileage (as long as it was fully serviced up to date etc) where as my friend says the mileage doesn't really matter as long as it has been properly looked after etc. What do you think?
I'd agree with your friend. I bought a car with 44k on the clock and replaced the engine after oil starvation issues and I'm religious about maintenance, so tells you plenty.

I'd agree with your friend. I bought a car with 44k on the clock and replaced the engine after oil starvation issues and I'm religious about maintenance, so tells you plenty.

Very true, I have found one that looks like its in gorgeous condition on Auto-trader on 69k mileage etc. Which to me would usually be a bit high.. I understand that is just me being picky!

A properly serviced car is OK on high mileage. Mine runs like new on the road no bumps or rattles having had the rack done. However, the car has been in the family since 30K miles so I know where it's been.

Reactions: leshkin
A properly serviced car is OK on high mileage. Mine runs like new on the road no bumps or rattles having had the rack done. However, the car has been in the family since 30K miles so I know where it's been.

Very true, I am planning on keeping this car for a little while which is why the low mileage seems a bit more appealing to me!

I opted for my S3 over others because it had only done 27k since 2010

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid a little more and went with one with lower mileage. Brought mine on 40k.

Also look out for cars on long life service.

I paid a little more and went with one with lower mileage. Brought mine on 40k.

Also look out for cars on long life service.

He means beware of car on 'Long Life Service' All good advice so far. There is a lot of electric systems ECU's and gadgets in modern Audis thesedays so you need to take your time and make sure everything works and hope you find a good 'un.

If you can, see if any are for sale in the forum, at least you'll know the owner has a bit of passion about it and may be able to see what work has been done or any niggles the car has had. You'll be buying it from an honest person as well which is always more comforting when buying a car and they may be able to help you with any info in the future if need be! I'm also one for mileage over age but that's personal preference I believe.