Engine over heating warning light?

LauraStellA3

Reaction score
Can anyone advise on this? Keeps coming on every now and again few times a week... comes on tells me to stop the engine let it cool down, gauge goes right upto red but then within a minute if i don't stop the car and keep driving it just goes off and gauge goes back to normal temp any ideas? I have attached pic to show example.

Attachments

• IMG_4832.PNG
    IMG_4832.PNG
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 4,469
When it comes on, are you stopped (or only moving slowly)?

If so I'd wager that your radiator fan has died (likely fuse).

No would say 60mph is when it usually comes on...?

The fact the temp drops to normal within a minutes suggests its an electrical fault, possibly the coolant temp sensor

The fact the temp drops to normal within a minutes suggests its an electrical fault, possibly the coolant temp sensor
Yeah i was thinking a sensor problem where is the sensor located on an A3 8v model do you know by any chance?

Yeah i was thinking a sensor problem where is the sensor located on an A3 8v model do you know by any chance?
Sorry no idea, Since the advent of stop start I believe many engines now use electric pumps to move the coolant so there could well be more than 1 sensor.

I'm guessing you're only having this issue after Audi fixed your MMI unit?
No it was before... they were supposed to be looking into this aswell but after the 2.5k MMI bill i told them to leave this for now trying to solve th problem myself lol

Reactions: The Kendragon
Whhhaaaaatttttt. 2.5k MMI bill ?? What went wrong ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah unfortunately Needed a new MMI control module unit the most expensive one :( plus about £300 of that was diagnostics as they had no idea what was wrong with it originally... just wouldn't work black screen, no radio,nav, bluetooth tried all the resets none worked so had to take it into audi...

Gulp ! 2.5k for a radio I would have been fuming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tell me about it i still can't get over it now! Was the most expensive part on the MMI module to replace and then obviously rip off charges from dealer...

Wow - was the mmi not covered by the warranty ?

Just a follow up to anyone else with this problem... needed a new water pump... coolant was at max level though as checked this originally but when i took it to garage they took pump off and pick up on a fault with the valve...
Apparently its quite common on these engines.

Reactions: Matchman54 and RSS-S3
Sorry to hear this story . Glad I paid £500 for the five year warranty though !

Just a follow up to anyone else with this problem... needed a new water pump... coolant was at max level though as checked this originally but when i took it to garage they took pump off and pick up on a fault with the valve...
Apparently its quite common on these engines.
I said it was probably the pump :) it is a common issue, I had one on my skoda!

I had a secondary water pump fail on my 1.8tfsi recently. Cost £320 to repair at my Independent garage. At least it was'nt £2.5k! Feel your pain:wtf::wtf:

62 plate so warranty has ran out unfortunately!

This is why I'd never, ever run an Audi without a manufacturer's warranty. Cars are actually pretty solid mechanically these days (how often do you see cars broken down at the side of the road - used to be all the time a few decades ago) but the level of technology there is now, combined with the cost of fixing it, means a warranty is a must IMHO.