I Cant decide between 3.0 tdi and 3.2 fsi

ThomasAudi

Reaction score
hey I'm new to this,
I'm looking at buying an A5 I like power, and I don't mind Diesel.
After looking online and via forums the TDI seems better for me. I do 250-300 miles a week. The tdi would cost far less to run, but also sounds nice too. I couldn't believe it was a Diesel.

but after crunching numbers, i could have any of the two petrol or diesel. and details being banned soon not a great choice.

well, can anyone tell me what the pro/cons of the Diesel and the FSI.

I wish the FSI had a turbo. is it possible to fit one ? I kinda like them lol... and how much would it cost? anyone here done it.

Note I'm 22 years old. my current car is a old tt

Imho fitting a turbo to a non turbo car is crazy expensive, better to buy a turbo car in the first place.

TX

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Agree with TX. The 3.2 does have a nice charm to it, being NA, but it doesn't leave much head room for modifications if that's your thing.

As for diesel, if it suits your driving style then I say go for it. But at 300 a week I don't think you are quite in diesel territory. The average is 12k a year, and you are about that.....

Personally I don't like diesels, even in the V6 guise I think they sound awful and come with too much baggage, but that's just my opinion.

For me the S5 was the obvious choice. What about an older V8 S5...?

Agree with TX. The 3.2 does have a nice charm to it, being NA, but it doesn't leave much head room for modifications if that's your thing.

As for diesel, if it suits your driving style then I say go for it. But at 300 a week I don't think you are quite in diesel territory. The average is 12k a year, and you are about that.....

Personally I don't like diesels, even in the V6 guise I think they sound awful and come with too much baggage, but that's just my opinion.

For me the S5 was the obvious choice. What about an older V8 S5...?

The S5 is out of my price reach for fuel and insurance.
And im more of a turbo guy. wish i could try a a5 3;2 to see if it even needs a turbo,

i will happily spend 3k to fit a turbo. but it seems it might be more expensive than that. i can also get a 3.2 fsi alot cheaper than most.

i have a mate who in january wants to sell me his low milage 3.2 for 6k and its a 2009

so its a good deal and with the savings i wanted to fit a turbo.

The S5 is out of my price reach for fuel and insurance.
And im more of a turbo guy. wish i could try a a5 3;2 to see if it even needs a turbo,

i will happily spend 3k to fit a turbo. but it seems it might be more expensive than that. i can also get a 3.2 fsi alot cheaper than most.

i have a mate who in january wants to sell me his low milage 3.2 for 6k and its a 2009

so its a good deal and with the savings i wanted to fit a turbo.

I wouldn't expect a massive difference in costs for fuel or even insurance between an S5 and 3.2. There is little in it between a 2.0TFSI....

I would have a look over on A5OC. There are a few members that have supercharged their V8 S5, but don't recall any that have turbocharged their 3.2. It's a pretty rare car.

I think most will just advise you to go for a 2.0TFSI, but then you have to worry about the oil consumption if it's a pre 2012 model....

insurance is 3k for an s5 with 3k comp if i crash
insurance is 1900 for a5 3.2/3.0 FSI/TDI with 1k comp if i crash

plus i can get hold of the 3.2 a lot cheaper. and im scared that if i get a 3.0 tdi it will get scrapped by a diesel ban

Reactions: DrEskimo
insurance is 3k for an s5 with 3k comp if i crash
insurance is 1900 for a5 3.2/3.0 FSI/TDI with 1k comp if i crash

plus i can get hold of the 3.2 a lot cheaper. and im scared that if i get a 3.0 tdi it will get scrapped by a diesel ban

£2k for insurance.....!

Think you need to look at the A1....! :p

It wouldn't get scrapped by the ban, but I think it will affect residual sales of diesel cars. There has been a large shift in public perception (rightly or wrongly), so it will affect value. Although petrol probably isn't far behind either...!

You're right, £6k for a 3.2 is decent. Quick Google shows there are no 'plug and play' options for fitting a turbo, and that a supercharger is likely to be the better option. Even that looks like it will cost upwards of £5k if you can even find someone to do it.

The 3.2 NA is a nice engine and probably plenty of power out of the box. Do you know if it's FWD or Quattro? I traded my 2.0tfsi with just 180PS for a S5 because I couldn't stand the wheel spin....something to consider on a even more powerful and heavy 3.2....

Nothing wrong with an a1 lol. and I honestly don't mind 2k for insurance. I live in my cars, and its a Quattro :racer:

I drive to Lithuania once a year to visit my friends there so a TDI could be helpful, I'll ask around some garages about turbo fitting costs.

how do you know the TDI will be fine and not scrapped?
because the 3.o v6 TDI has a lot more options in the way of modding hence pre turbo

if only I could just bolt a turbo to it lol I know its fast I love the noise too, but when I put my foot down it just lacks that surge of power,

my mate has a 3,0 and **** me it pulls. hard decisions await me

Nothing wrong with an a1 lol. and I honestly don't mind 2k for insurance. I live in my cars, and its a Quattro :racer:

I drive to Lithuania once a year to visit my friends there so a TDI could be helpful, I'll ask around some garages about turbo fitting costs.

how do you know the TDI will be fine and not scrapped?
because the 3.o v6 TDI has a lot more options in the way of modding hence pre turbo

if only I could just bolt a turbo to it lol I know its fast I love the noise too, but when I put my foot down it just lacks that surge of power,

my mate has a 3,0 and **** me it pulls. hard decisions await me

And there's me grimacing at the prospect of paying £350 to insure my S5....

As I understand it, there are no concrete details of the scrap page scheme, but in all likelihood it will just be an incentive to current diesel owners whereby the government will offer an additional cash sum (think £2k was being quoted) to chop your diesel in for a hybrid/EV. It won't be a mandatory thing. The only thing that has been implemented is an additional surcharge to use certain diesel (EU5 and below) and petrol cars (EU3 or 4 I think) in city centres. Basically an additional cost on top of the congestion charge. If you don't drive in major cities, it's unlikely to affect you directly, but as I mentioned this is all impacting of public perception, which will invariable affect residual sales. Again, I think this will hit petrols at some point too as we inevitably transition towards EVs in the next 20/30years, although like other big shifts (think what iPods did to CDs, or digital cameras did to Kodak), others think it will be much sooner and quicker than many people predict.

Hope that gives you enough info to make your decision. The V6 TDI is a great engine and loved by most people I know that own it. Engine noise at idol, problems with downstream exhaust components (EGR/DPF) and residual values puts me off them though. But then I never liked them, even before the whole VAG scandal, nor did I ever do enough miles to ever consider one over a performance petrol.

What about 2012 2.0TFSI Quattro?

And there's me grimacing at the prospect of paying £350 to insure my S5....

As I understand it, there are no concrete details of the scrap page scheme, but in all likelihood it will just be an incentive to current diesel owners whereby the government will offer an additional cash sum (think £2k was being quoted) to chop your diesel in for a hybrid/EV. It won't be a mandatory thing. The only thing that has been implemented is an additional surcharge to use certain diesel (EU5 and below) and petrol cars (EU3 or 4 I think) in city centres. Basically an additional cost on top of the congestion charge. If you don't drive in major cities, it's unlikely to affect you directly, but as I mentioned this is all impacting of public perception, which will invariable affect residual sales. Again, I think this will hit petrols at some point too as we inevitably transition towards EVs in the next 20/30years, although like other big shifts (think what iPods did to CDs, or digital cameras did to Kodak), others think it will be much sooner and quicker than many people predict.

Hope that gives you enough info to make your decision. The V6 TDI is a great engine and loved by most people I know that own it. Engine noise at idol, problems with downstream exhaust components (EGR/DPF) and residual values puts me off them though. But then I never liked them, even before the whole VAG scandal, nor did I ever do enough miles to ever consider one over a performance petrol.

What about 2012 2.0TFSI Quattro?

I cant deal with a 2ltr at all mate sorry. v6 rumble is needed haha.
if I got a TDI I would change the exhaust anyway so no biggie, thanks for the info on the scrappage stuff, tbh ill probably go the TDI route now. and I ran my tt for 2 years, I think ill stick with an a5 for 3-5 I gett attached to cars easy

I cant deal with a 2ltr at all mate sorry. v6 rumble is needed haha.
if I got a TDI I would change the exhaust anyway so no biggie, thanks for the info on the scrappage stuff, tbh ill probably go the TDI route now. and I ran my tt for 2 years, I think ill stick with an a5 for 3-5 I gett attached to cars easy

Then I'll just leave you with my old man ramblings about modifications and insurance...

I always encourage people to declare all mods to insurance, as the risk of getting refused a claim in the worst case scenario could have unimaginable consequences. Not having a DPF and EGR will improve sound, and to a small extent power, but obviously your car will no longer be road legal, therefore you can't declare to the insurance....a risk I personally couldn't take....!

Seen you've joined A50C. Have a look at Dave Kwattro's build thread. He has a rather awesome modded 3.0TDI with DPF in place :) as long as you drive it like it should (long motorway journeys, etc.) hopefully you won't have any issues.

Then I'll just leave you with my old man ramblings about modifications and insurance...

I always encourage people to declare all mods to insurance, as the risk of getting refused a claim in the worst case scenario could have unimaginable consequences. Not having a DPF and EGR will improve sound, and to a small extent power, but obviously your car will no longer be road legal, therefore you can't declare to the insurance....a risk I personally couldn't take....!

Seen you've joined A50C. Have a look at Dave Kwattro's build thread. He has a rather awesome modded 3.0TDI with DPF in place :) as long as you drive it like it should (long motorway journeys, etc.) hopefully you won't have any issues.

ill be sure to check it out. dpf-delete will have to happen mate. and is a risk im willing on takeing,

but all other mod's will be declared.

The 3.2 NA is a nice engine and probably plenty of power out of the box. Do you know if it's FWD or Quattro? I traded my 2.0tfsi with just 180PS for a S5 because I couldn't stand the wheel spin....something to consider on a even more powerful and heavy 3.2....

I believe the 2009 3.2's were either multitronic 2WD or Manual quattro

Reactions: DrEskimo
I believe 2009 3.2's were either multitronic 2WD or Manual quattro
Too many horror stories are about the Multitronic. I'm more of a shift myself guy/ Makes me feel more like I'm driving