Squeak at Low revs

dgannon69

Reaction score
Not pulling of hard or anything, just normal driving. If you pull off at practically idle with only giving it a little bit of gas, the engine will pronounce a high pitch squeak like something is lose!!

Any ideas what this could be?

Next wierd one is a bit wierd, when the engine revs drop from above 3000rpm its makes a funny rattle just as it touches 3000rpm for a split second! this isnt while in gear...

Any ideas appreciated

Dave

Sorry me been very stupid, which one is that? important one? air con, fan belt? cam belt? doesn't sound like a fan belt slip...

cheers

Dave

The belt no longer drives the fan on most cars, they're normally electric. Its normally the only belt you can see as the cambelt wont slip and is normally covered over.

Drivels alternator and aircon and things.

Try to see if squirting a bit of wd40 onit stops the squeak. Beware, it will actually make it slip more, but lubricate the squeak out, so you will know its that doing it.
Maybe just needs tightening up, (pain to do!) or if its old, a new belt may be needed.
Your 3k revs rattle sounds like the hydraulic tensioner on the belt may be knackered........wait for it though, they are about 60quid!! so be sure!

Alos, it could also be a rattle formt he aircon compressor drive wheel.......the bolts can go loose and you can knack the compressor / aircon clutch if it lets go.

Check your aircon pump comes on ok, (be careful in these cold conditions, it will not fire up if the air is below 3degrees I think, so if its cold dont assume its not working.)

ok mate thanks, guess i won't really miss the aircon until the summer anyway! would rather not have any belts going! never a good thought!

Thanks for your help!

Dave

get a can of belt dressing from a motor spares shop. that will give the belt more life and wont make it slip like wd40