Cam belt question

Vikz

Reaction score
Hey,

Was just wondering around how many miles would my car need to clock up before the cam belt needs replacing? (Audi 1.8T)

Thanks!

60,000 miles or 5 years. which ever comes first

some one told me it was 115,000 miles?!?

I've been told Audi reduced it to 4yrs or 80k. Just had mine done at 4.5 years old and 36k. Was told some of the plastic impellor on the waterpump had broken off. I decided to get mine done as it has just been remaped and its better to be safe than sorry.

Erf said:
60,000 miles or 5 years. which ever comes first
I second that. It is definitely 60k or 5 years. I don't care what Audi or anyone else says.

I did mine at 60k and 120k. It's just not worth mucking about with. Do a search for the horror stories, and the consequences of not getting the job done soon enough.

It's also worth replacing the water pump and associated pulleys at the same time. It could save you a lot of money in the long run.

Secret Squirrel said:
I second that. It is definitely 60k or 5 years. I don't care what Audi or anyone else says.

I did mine at 60k and 120k. It's just not worth mucking about with. Do a search for the horror stories, and the consequences of not getting the job done soon enough.

It's also worth replacing the water pump and associated pulleys at the same time. It could save you a lot of money in the long run.

Its a grey area because the service book and even the haynes manual say something different, but I've been advised by various garages that it is now 60k or 5 years. If you search forums you'll see a number of belts gone at around this time. Definitely not worth waiting for. Mine will be going in next week. Its having 60k service done today and i'll book it in next week for the cambelt. I'm using John Ashley (VW) do mine. They work out a lot cheaper than audi.

Id change it at 60k or 5 yrs too.

I changed my belt at 80k and 9 years lol, but only because i had no way of knowing if it had been changed before(not got a proper service history).

Water pump was just starting to break up so its defo worth getting that changed as mentioned.