Knocking noise

Kieran94

Reaction score
hi all just joined this forum. I did just write a post but not sure I put it in the right place haha.
I have an Audi A3 8P 2.0tfsi s line, it developed a knocking/rattling noise about a year ago which has progressively got worse. It's been to the garage a few times to try and get to the bottom of it however no faults can be found. I've started changing parts which include drop links and just replaced all the suspension with a new set of vmaxx coilovers with new top mounts. All seemed well for the first couple of days until I hit some nasty speed bumps (not fast) and it made a bit of a clunk. The problem is 75% better over drains and little bumps all seems fine until speed bumps come. Does anybody have any ideas what else could be wrong?
Thanks in advance
Kieran

your car is too low that your under-tray if not sump smashing on it?

No nothing to do with ride height, although I have caught the under tray a couple times so far so I will rise the car up a touch. This the same sort of sound which I've had when it developed a year ago.

ball joints, bushes steering rack to check then. May be on their way out.

Yeah maybe, I've been under the car and pulled on every joint and bush I can see with a lever bar but can't get any movement within the joints at all, everything looks and feels solid, it's a mystery! Steering rack is only 2 years old! Will be ****** off if that's given up already! There's no play in the steering or anythinf

ok, so another question is, do you know some place where it occurs often i.e. bump near tesco store, or on your way to work? If yes try to get over it like always but before put your radio off and lower down the windows and try to figure out approx. where it coming from, (left or right or both). you can try also to put your coilovers with more gap between arches and try if it's not caused by being so stiff (the bump force need to react in some way, and doing it by tyre -> suspension (strut tower -> arms -> links -> anti-roll bar) -> chassis).