The 2.9L V6 RS5 (and probably RS4)

Here we go gents...a good, quick, honest review:

Have to agree with the guy. Just lacks the beating heart that the 4.2 had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh you ****** was just about to post that! ;)
It's not different enough from the S5 and, well like you said, lacks the standout component of it's predecessor.
A real shame to be honest, considering how good they've made they S4 and S5 I expected so much more, seems they've just gone with a slightly hotter, albeit very similar, engine and some flashier cosmetics.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Ahhh you ****** was just about to post that! ;)
It's not different enough from the S5 and, well like you said, lacks the standout component of it's predecessor.
A real shame to be honest, considering how good they've made they S4 and S5 I expected so much more, seems they've just gone with a slightly hotter, albeit very similar, engine and some flashier cosmetics.
Yep it's just a cash cow. They are really skint. It's all volume and bottom line not about the brand. Same reason they were not at le Mans. We are in for some utter **** RS stuff going forward.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yep it's just a cash cow. They are really skint. It's all volume and bottom line not about the brand. Same reason they were not at le Mans. We are in for some utter **** RS stuff going forward.

Diesel scandal screw them?

Diesel scandal screw them?

Yep to the brink. Rather than using the RS / audi sport stuff to set the tone of the brand it will now be used to milk idiots for money.

I am such an audi fan boi but dropping 90k on one of these is lunacy. It really is an S5 with a badge.

Yep to the brink. Rather than using the RS / audi sport stuff to set the tone of the brand it will now be used to milk idiots for money.

I am such an audi fan boi but dropping 90k on one of these is lunacy. It really is an S5 with a badge.

Wow. Didn't think it hit them that hard. I've always seen the huge, x-factor difference between the S and RS brands but this is the first time I'm genuinely disappointed. I'm a total fan boy too haha. I know if i drive this or the the RS4, I'll feel all warm and gooey inside for being behind the wheel of an RS but the gut happiness won't be there and £70+ grand is actually idiotic. I wouldn't let myself do that. Just for a badge. Such a shame.

I agree with your point about the 'bling element of supercars but completely disagree about your point that 'we' Forum-goers/Petrol heads aren't the target market for the RS5, it's not a super car, it's a super fast version of a mid range coupe that us petrol heads should covet and desire, exactly as Thundercliffe says.

These cars shouldnt be nudging £90k in optioned up spec, because that sort of budget starts opening up a whole world of competition it's not got the 'soul' to compete against, 911 and GTR (granted it could be argued the GTR is a bit soulless but you know what I mean!)to name just a couple, let alone the 12 month old used market.

I bet the Chaps you where chatting with wouldn't entertain the thought of an RS Audi of any description as the badge just can't compete with the likes of Porsche,Ferrari and McLaren.

Maybe, however I think at this level Audi have decided not to compete head-on with the likes of the M4 and C63 and so have decided to capture some of that "bling" supercar market at a price range below the R8.

Perhaps I'm not a good judge. I'm pragmatic and rarely spend money on something which does not have a practical value. I shall only pay for optional trim if its not too expensive. Paying thousands for carbon fibre is a no-no for me. I have my stage 2 sportback because really it was the only option for a good looking 4-door car with AWD and the bang-for-the-buck I was prepared to pay for. At the moment I could only consider an RS5 if Audi make a sportback version as the rumour suggests. If I was prepared to pay the money we are talking about for a 2-door car then I doubt it would be the RS5. I'd more likely go for a soul-less but more fun GT-R.

Reactions: R.A.G
I think they are just diluting the brand with the push to make the RS more mainstream as the margins may be much bigger. Perhaps they have a new halo range in the pipeline where they can extract a few grand more for exclusivity? Mercedes are doing something similar with AMG and BMW likewise with M models and JLR now getting in with the SVR range. Was a time when for each there were just a couple of variants for the halo models. Now there's a almost one for every class. At least AMG still has the hand built engine USP for the 'proper' AMG models. Not sure what the rest have as their USP other than add on bling.

Needless to say the first time I pull up next to an RS5 in my S5 I will feel an tinge of envy.

Maybe, however I think at this level Audi have decided not to compete head-on with the likes of the M4 and C63 and so have decided to capture some of that "bling" supercar market at a price range below the R8.

Perhaps I'm not a good judge. I'm pragmatic and rarely spend money on something which does not have a practical value. I shall only pay for optional trim if its not too expensive. Paying thousands for carbon fibre is a no-no for me. I have my stage 2 sportback because really it was the only option for a good looking 4-door car with AWD and the bang-for-the-buck I was prepared to pay for. At the moment I could only consider an RS5 if Audi make a sportback version as the rumour suggests. If I was prepared to pay the money we are talking about for a 2-door car then I doubt it would be the RS5. I'd more likely go for a soul-less but more fun GT-R.

Totally agree on all points... Especially the GT-R.... just wish they'd do something with the interior!

I think they are just diluting the brand with the push to make the RS more mainstream as the margins may be much bigger. Perhaps they have a new halo range in the pipeline where they can extract a few grand more for exclusivity? Mercedes are doing something similar with AMG and BMW likewise with M models and JLR now getting in with the SVR range. Was a time when for each there were just a couple of variants for the halo models. Now there's a almost one for every class. At least AMG still has the hand built engine USP for the 'proper' AMG models. Not sure what the rest have as their USP other than add on bling.

Needless to say the first time I pull up next to an RS5 in my S5 I will feel an tinge of envy.

I do see your point and I can look at it pragmatically. There will be an RS5 performance. But it's not about pace or handling or any amount of stats. It's about smiles per mile! And this is an absolute wet lettuce. At this price? For an 'RS'? It's disgusting. It's an S5 'plus' at best.

I've just watched the shmee150 review and he was genuinely struggling to think of anything exciting to say. It's like he was trying to sell an A5 2.0L TDI. Prattling on about how nice the door sounded when it closed. Are you kidding me?! Diluted hugely. I agree with you very much there. But it feels like Audi (in this segment with the RS4 too) now, do not have a horse in the race. I'm going to show you all something. Watch these back to back and TELL me the Jag doesn't excite you more.

It took me 3 secs to hear that V8 in the fade in and I was already more exited. Goosebumps throughout a '60sec' clip! A flagship car should do that. And if Jaguar and Mercedes can still smash out epic V8s, why can't Audi? Emissions? One rule for one...? It's probably complex and legal but

RS= Really Sexy not Really Snoozy! The used RS market is going to get exciting I think. When an RS5 pulls up beside your S5, you can laugh at him and say...you've just paid £70k for a body kit.

PS: I know the Project 8 will be close to £100,000 but there's an XE SVR in the wings with same engine. We all know it's going to sound very similar

Yep. Their focus is money not building or maintaining a marque.

Neumann will take over and then it will be electric crap all over the place.

No R5, no le means, tiptronic RS models, v8's on the way out. Shame.

Yep. Their focus is money not building or maintaining a marque.

Neumann will take over and then it will be electric **** all over the place.

No R5, no le means, tiptronic RS models, v8's on the way out. Shame.

I'm clinging on! Haha. Electric is getting pushed down our throats you're right there. And it's a lot deeper than just EU guidelines and policy too. Tesla...are not your friend. That's all I'll say. Where has the new boss come from mate?

He's not in yet but he's the boss of opel looking for a new job now the french are taking over. You think how bad it has got under stadler's watch and he is ex-lambo.

He's not in yet but he's the boss of opel looking for a new job now the french are taking over. You think how bad it has got under stadler's watch and he is ex-lambo.

I guess this is the start of the end for performance that excites the ears huh. Thank god for the used market. My dealer is going to unimpressed haha.

I guess this is the start of the end for performance that excites the ears huh. Thank god for the used market. My dealer is going to unimpressed haha.

It's cyclical. The marque will suffer and they won't be able to cream off the fan boys so they will act. Like when Renault made the v6 clio or nissan made the GTR

It's cyclical. The marque will suffer and they won't be able to cream off the fan boys so they will act. Like when Renault made the v6 clio or nissan made the GTR

The thing with 'exclusivity' though is the price. So, to get what you used to get at 'x' cost, you now need to pay 'y'. Ignoring interior, the RS3 looks far more exciting. Same performance too.

Right. Ok.

Not a fan of this guy BUT! It's in the U.K., he's driving it much more like one ought to and as always, car reviews just sound better when they're away from release locations (God knows why).

Stupidity ran amok with the options on this but here you go. It does sound alright. Sounds like my S4 (with valve mod) after a can of monster. Never ever be as good as the 4.2 but it's alright. I'm slating it less for sound now.

But, the key to this car is, as @DeanoC said, the new Audi Sport boss. Why on Earth are they pushing it as a family, every day driver? As a marketing strategy, it's like they're selling it as an 'S' car. Like...they're almost a bit embarrassed to have to the hardcore petrol heads buying it. Does that make sense? I know what I mean haha. Anyway, it sounds better. Enjoy.

Why on Earth are they pushing it as a family, every day driver?
Possibly because if the rumours are correct, there will be an RS5 sportback, so they are generating interest in advance?

Possibly because if the rumours are correct, there will be an RS5 sportback, so they are generating interest in advance?

I think that would look great. I've seen mock ups. Just not understanding the 'downplaying' of an RS model. Admitting it's not a competitor for the M4/C63 coupe. When, it clearly is. Or should be at least.

Times change I guess. Just feels one step closer to full electric. Taking the soul out one step at a time.

Oh. Btw, the alcantara!! So in Geneva, the launch car had it on steering wheel and gear lever. As do the launch review cars and this one ️ But it's nowhere to be seen on the configurator and doesn't appear to be Audi Exclusive. Thoughts? It felt great I must admit.

I'm all for electric myself. If Tesla do a version of the model 3 which is as ludicrous (pun intended) as the top model S, then I might be tempted.

I'm all for electric myself. If Tesla do a version of the model 3 which is as ludicrous (pun intended) as the top model S, then I might be tempted.

Can't get onboard with that