Steering Columns

hendo#1

Reaction score
Would anyone hazard a guess as to whether the TT shares the same steering column (not rack) as the S3?

My column has a bit of slop in it and Im trying to locate a lower mileage column.

R32 could possibly be the same too?

Would anyone hazard a guess as to whether the TT shares the same steering column (not rack) as the S3?

My column has a bit of slop in it and Im trying to locate a lower mileage column.

R32 could possibly be the same too?
It may be the steering rack. I just changed mine because I had 2 inch deadzone and thought it was the column.

Where did you get your rack from out of interest? And at what price?

Ive replaced all wearing components in the steering system, and it still has this slight play.

Holding the bottom UJ on the column itself and rocking the wheel has show the play to be in the column itself.

Thinking about it now, Id guess that all MK4 based platforms will probably have similar / same steering columns...

I bought it from a refurb company in Bradford, £120 genuine rack just reconditioned as I couldn't afford to pay £400 for a new one.
The uj is steel and can go stiff but I haven't seen one go slack (garage diagnosed my car as column too but I took it my brother who is a jag tech and he said rack instantly)
I just looked in ebay and there is a uj you want for less than £20 http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-TT-8N-Steering-Rack-Universal-Joint-UJ-/131995074779
But if not seen one need replacement not even on mine at 186,000

The columns are the same, the racks are the same for TT, cupra R, and s3. ( fast rack)