steering wheel advice please

darrenmarky

Reaction score
hi ive got a bog basic steering wheel in my B7 ,no controls on it whatsoever ,what options do I have regarding a straight swap to something that looks better

Is it the 4 spoke steering wheel? If you want to keep costs down you'll need to swap a 4 spoke for a 4 spoke or you'll have to change the airbag, and theyre £££.

I have a 4 spoke from a B8 with multifunction buttons and the required slip ring for sale if you're interested?

Really depends what you want..
If you have cruise control you can fit a mfsw with the controls and code it to enable.
If not and you'll need control module and slip ring in addition to the steering wheel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ive got the 3 spoke one in it at moment ,excuse my ignorance as I'm new to this brand.what sort of costs are involved coding it ,module ect,i know I need same style for the bag

Is it the 4 spoke steering wheel? If you want to keep costs down you'll need to swap a 4 spoke for a 4 spoke or you'll have to change the airbag, and theyre £££.

I have a 4 spoke from a B8 with multifunction buttons and the required slip ring for sale if you're interested?
whats involved if I had this one mate?straight swap or anuthing more involved?

this is the current one

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 110
Really depends what you want..
If you have cruise control you can fit a mfsw with the controls and code it to enable.
If not and you'll need control module and slip ring in addition to the steering wheel.

if I got a b8 wheel and slip ring is it a straight swap into a none mfsw car ,I don't have or need cruise control

It is almost a straight swap. But if you get one of those make sure it's the one with mode button.
And you'll need the correct module and repin the wires into the airbag terminal.

Doesn't need to be same year..
Part numbers have to match..
My module, slip ring, wheel and airbag all came from different cars and it's all good to go..
Give me a few hours and I'll give you all part numbers you could use to do this.

Reactions: darrenmarky
Sccm (steering column control module) 8E0 953 549 N (L)
These 2 are middle range modules, accept cruise control, dis and multifunction steering wheel.

8E0 953 549 P (Q, R, M)
these 4 are highline module and accept the same as the middle line modules plus heated steering wheel (these came on a6)

The slip ring needs to be 4e0 953 451 A (B)

Don't know about b7, but on my b6 I had to get a 4 pin connector. About £4 new from audi.
The part number is 4e0 972 133.
If you do need this you'll need to connect the wires from your hold connector in the same place on the new one..
And because of the mfsw you'll also need to repin the airbag connector, otherwise you'll have an airbag light on and horn will not work..
If you have standard audi head unit the co told should work right after coding.

VERY IMPORTANT.
Before swapping your sccm plug VCDS and read your abs/brake code because you'll need to put that Into your new module to clear the brake warning light and make the car accept the new module.
After that you can code your car for multifunction steering wheel and since you are coding might as well enable dis (driver information system.) and why not cruise control since you'll have everything apart.
Could do it all in one go.

Airbag connector repin
e4994d752ddfc71532f3fd054dc19c0b.jpg
3808faaaed3823cc34ca491a39e0e4e6.jpg

Sccm (steering column control module) 8E0 953 549 N (L)
These 2 are middle range modules, accept cruise control, dis and multifunction steering wheel.

8E0 953 549 P (Q, R, M)
these 4 are highline module and accept the same as the middle line modules plus heated steering wheel (these came on a6)

The slip ring needs to be 4e0 953 451 A (B)

Don't know about b7, but on my b6 I had to get a 4 pin connector. About £4 new from audi.
The part number is 4e0 972 133.
If you do need this you'll need to connect the wires from your hold connector in the same place on the new one..
And because of the mfsw you'll also need to repin the airbag connector, otherwise you'll have an airbag light on and horn will not work..
If you have standard audi head unit the co told should work right after coding.

VERY IMPORTANT.
Before swapping your sccm plug VCDS and read your abs/brake code because you'll need to put that Into your new module to clear the brake warning light and make the car accept the new module.
After that you can code your car for multifunction steering wheel and since you are coding might as well enable dis (driver information system.) and why not cruise control since you'll have everything apart.
Could do it all in one go.

Airbag connector repin
e4994d752ddfc71532f3fd054dc19c0b.jpg
3808faaaed3823cc34ca491a39e0e4e6.jpg

Cheers mate I'll start looking then find someone who can code it,could do with a decent retro fitter being local

I'd do it for you if I were close by since I done all the work on mine.. But you'll find someone local for sure..

Once I get my head round all the coding ect I'd probably be fine,just spent years retro fitting stuff into a van which don't have all the electronic stuff like these,if you know anyone on here from midlands or Warwickshire that does this stuff let us know mate cheers

I've been. Off here for a while..
But create a thread asking about VCDS users and you'll find someone close by.