Remap

Lee.25

Reaction score
hi

I'm going to get my car remmaped I've done a couple of mods to like the r8 coil pack and a ram air induction kit will go for full exhaust decat but haven't got the time to sort if yet just want the map to sort the induction out for now but I'm going for amd tuning any one on here gone with a amd remap and ever had any mayjor issues with there Audi s3 8p on here with them ?? If so what do I need to look out for as this is my first time remapping car just need the heads up ? My cars done just over 49k so hopefully will be fine with that millage ? My car also has the dsg gearbox aswell I no there good for bit of Power lot better than the manual that's all I no so hopefully any one on here could help me ?

My advice would be save up for the exhaust and then do the map. At the minute I have intake, exhaust. And currently doing matainance stuff like cam chain, new pcv, uprated dv+. I've also bought uprated high pressure fuel pump, although not fitted yet. Am dsg also, make sure stuff like this and Haldex have been serviced as well. All this isn't needed for a map of course but I just think there more important

Reactions: Lee.25
My advice would be save up for the exhaust and then do the map. At the minute I have intake, exhaust. And currently doing matainance stuff like cam chain, new pcv, uprated dv+. I've also bought uprated high pressure fuel pump, although not fitted yet. Am dsg also, make sure stuff like this and Haldex have been serviced as well. All this isn't needed for a map of course but I just think there more important
Yeah I get what your saying I do need the exhaust but will be a while before I get that and it's all been serviced and stuff I take good care of it haldex got done last year so that's all okay I've got the DV+ to but not yet fitted that but everything is working okay ATM I only use the car on weekends occasionally through the week but not often I've had my cam belt water pump done on the car last month so that's done I do wanna go to revo but they are so expensive I think

AMD Tuning have a great reputation on here and in general, they did a shed load of work on S3Alex' stage 5 550bhp+ S3. A couple of people have had their S3's custom mapped by them and been happy with the results with no issues. Unicorn in Stockport and R-Tech in Hinkley are the most popular custom mappers on here for the S3 8P. Custom mapping is the way to go if you want the most out of your S3 and supporting hardware, especially at stage 2+ and above, but if you were to go down the generic mapping route instead, then APR over Revo as they get much better results nowadays due to still supporting the 8P platform unlike Revo.. Don't get me wrong Revo software is good (I'm happy with my stage 1 & 2 but won't be going back to them for stage 2+), but you simply aren't getting as much power for your money, bad considering they're the most expensive out the lot!

Being DSG then it is also well worth getting your gearbox mapped as it makes a huge difference on top of the ECU remap.

As mentioned, parts to look out for are:
  • Cam follower, inspect at every service/10K (always change at first sign of wear, only £40)
  • Oil pickup pipe, get this changed (£20/30)
  • Cam chain & tensioner, yours might be ok at the moment but worth checking (£400 for parts and labour but if this goes, say goodbye to your engine)
  • Fuel filter, not essential but 100% worth replacing (£20)
  • Use 5W40 oil, Millers Nanodrive CFS or Motul 300V (£60 for 5L)
  • GFB diverter valve+, best diverter valve out there and much better than the OEM Rev D yours has got fitted (£100)
There's a Part Request function at the top where you can order OEM parts from a VAG parts dealer.

Reactions: S3Alex, Lee.25, Ballantin and 1 other person
  • Cam follower, inspect at every service/10K (always change at first sign of wear, only £40)
  • Cam chain & tensioner, yours might be ok at the moment but worth checking (£400 for parts and labour but if this goes, say goodbye to your engine)
  • GFB diverter valve+, best diverter valve out there and much better than the OEM Rev D yours has got fitted (£100)
There's a Part Request function at the top where you can order OEM parts from a VAG parts dealer.

These are all the parts I had fitted on Tuesday this week, in preparation for Stg2+ later in the summer.

The only other part I'd add to @HHS3 list above, which I've ordered today is the current rev PCV.

Re the mapping - it's a big decision for me; mainly because I'm moving back to New Zealand at the end of the year and the car is coming with me... I'm leaning towards APR as we have dealers back there but my heart wants custom (likely R-Tech as we only get 98ron fuel maximum back in NZ).

Reactions: HHS3
These are all the parts I had fitted on Tuesday this week, in preparation for Stg2+ later in the summer.

The only other part I'd add to @HHS3 list above, which I've ordered today is the current rev PCV. I ordered from Mike (FB messenger mjr901).

Re the mapping - it's a big decision for me; mainly because I'm moving back to New Zealand at the end of the year and the car is coming with me... I'm leaning towards APR as we have dealers back there but my heart wants custom (likely R-Tech as we only get 98ron fuel maximum back in NZ).

Ah yes I forgot to say about checking the PCV as well which is another cheap & easy part to replace if needed for £30.

That's a tough one, if you aren't looking to go above stage 2+ after then you'd be ok, it's only if you wanted the map tweaking further on down the line which would be tricky.. APR is still fantastic software and will get you great results at stage 2+, so as you could still get support from them in NZ if anything did go wrong/need tweaking then you wouldn't be at a loss.

AMD Tuning have a great reputation on here and in general, they did a shed load of work on S3Alex' stage 5 550bhp+ S3. A couple of people have had their S3's custom mapped by them and been happy with the results with no issues. Unicorn in Stockport and R-Tech in Hinkley are the most popular custom mappers on here for the S3 8P. Custom mapping is the way to go if you want the most out of your S3 and supporting hardware, especially at stage 2+ and above, but if you were to go down the generic mapping route instead, then APR over Revo as they get much better results nowadays due to still supporting the 8P platform unlike Revo.. Don't get me wrong Revo software is good (I'm happy with my stage 1 & 2 but won't be going back to them for stage 2+), but you simply aren't getting as much power for your money, bad considering they're the most expensive out the lot!

Being DSG then it is also well worth getting your gearbox mapped as it makes a huge difference on top of the ECU remap.

Oh have they good thanks for your help I just thought considering I here more about revo apr ect I wanted to ask on here are amd any good cause there Closer to me I did message the one in Essex but they have place in woking Surrey aswell which is better for me , yeah I see s3alex pictures and stuff they done amazing work on his car but I didn't no if any one had actually got there car remapped from them,because I rang them up and booked it in with them it's going in tomorrow but I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask people on here that would put my mind at rest before it goes in if they was any good at remapping ?? Definitely custom remapping is the way to go.... few people I no have gone rtech but also I no a lot of people who have gone revoanx stuff but just think revo way to much , yeah are amd a custom remap or generic ??? That's the thing I don't no if they do remaps for the dsg box because like you said it will work in harmony with the engine so makes sense to get it done together

as for parts my s3 has the cambelt instead of chain I've had that changed last month so that's okay I had cam follower done bout 1000 miles ago so that should be okay for a while even the one that got taken out was like new and probably never changed I've only had the car a year and got it from Audi dealer and of course they won't change it , but yeah it had a full service twice last year second one was towards the end of the year it's probably due again in another 3 to 4K the dv+ I've got a new one waiting to be fitted but the car drives like brand new still so I haven't fitted it yet and I'm watching out for my Pcv to go

that's one thing I'm baffled by and dunno what to do with should I go for Pcv delete or catch can when it does go what's the best option ??

Oh have they good thanks for your help I just thought considering I here more about revo apr ect I wanted to ask on here are amd any good cause there Closer to me I did message the one in Essex but they have place in woking Surrey aswell which is better for me , yeah I see s3alex pictures and stuff they done amazing work on his car but I didn't no if any one had actually got there car remapped from them,because I rang them up and booked it in with them it's going in tomorrow but I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask people on here that would put my mind at rest before it goes in if they was any good at remapping ?? Definitely custom remapping is the way to go.... few people I no have gone rtech but also I no a lot of people who have gone revoanx stuff but just think revo way to much , yeah are amd a custom remap or generic ??? That's the thing I don't no if they do remaps for the dsg box because like you said it will work in harmony with the engine so makes sense to get it done together

as for parts my s3 has the cambelt instead of chain I've had that changed last month so that's okay I had cam follower done bout 1000 miles ago so that should be okay for a while even the one that got taken out was like new and probably never changed I've only had the car a year and got it from Audi dealer and of course they won't change it , but yeah it had a full service twice last year second one was towards the end of the year it's probably due again in another 3 to 4K the dv+ I've got a new one waiting to be fitted but the car drives like brand new still so I haven't fitted it yet and I'm watching out for my Pcv to go

that's one thing I'm baffled by and dunno what to do with should I go for Pcv delete or catch can when it does go what's the best option ??

I know AMD Tuning used to offer either APR or Revo remaps (can't remember which) but they do offer their own custom mapping services, best to have a chat with them to see what they can do for your ECU and DSG.

The 2L TFSI BHZ & CDLA engines that are in the pre-facelift & facelift S3 8P's have both a cambelt and cam chain, it's a strange setup. The cambelt and waterpump are worth doing around 60K if not before.

It's a tough one regarding the PCV, most PCV delete kits like the Forge one I've got, only deletes the front pipe and not the rear breather, so it slows down the process of depositing carbon onto the valves however it does by no means eliminate it. The IE kit eliminates all breathers both front and rear however that is £1000 just for the parts, whereas the Forge is £90 and revised PCV £30. So depending on your budget I'd go for the Forge and carry out a decoke every 20/30K if possible, AMD Tuning offer walnut blasting which is the best method for doing this and costs around £300-£400.

I know AMD Tuning used to offer either APR or Revo remaps (can't remember which) but they do offer their own custom mapping services, best to have a chat with them to see what they can do for your ECU and DSG.

The 2L TFSI BHZ & CDLA engines that are in the pre-facelift & facelift S3 8P's have both a cambelt and cam chain, it's a strange setup. The cambelt and waterpump are worth doing around 60K if not before.

It's a tough one regarding the PCV, most PCV delete kits like the Forge one I've got, only deletes the front pipe and not the rear breather, so it slows down the process of depositing carbon onto the valves however it does by no means eliminate it. The IE kit eliminates all breathers both front and rear however that is £1000 just for the parts, whereas the Forge is £90 and revised PCV £30. So depending on your budget I'd go for the Forge and carry out a decoke every 20/30K if possible, AMD Tuning offer walnut blasting which is the best method for doing this and costs around £300-£400.
Oh did they oh that's alright then well il ask them anyways tbh I just wanted to no if they was any good then selfs and any one had any problems tbh as I'm going to them ..., yeah il have to ask them about the dsg see if they do a remap for it if not then il have to leave it, as I said my cambelt already been done Ive had all bits that would go wrong on the car done and it runs smooth and had no problems just the dv+ and PCv now but they seem okay aswell and yeah I no it is weird set up haveing a chain on some s3s and a belt on others .... yeah I was thinking about that the decokeing . yeah if probably go for that but how often does it build up with crap can't be that often ?

Reactions: Pazzer
Hi there....I'd replied on your other thread,but as HHS3 has said,AMDTuning had done a lot of work on my car,including an engine build and 2 turbo installs,and the car had always been very reliable and quick.

They were previously Revo dealers,but now have moved to APR and do their own maps as well.

I have no hesitation in recommending them in the Essex area,and when the engine was in bits recently after 40k miles on a big turbo setup,all of the parts were in good nick.

Hi there....I'd replied on your other thread,but as HHS3 has said,AMDTuning had done a lot of work on my car,including an engine build and 2 turbo installs,and the car had always been very reliable and quick.

They were previously Revo dealers,but now have moved to APR and do their own maps as well.

I have no hesitation in recommending them in the Essex area,and when the engine was in bits recently after 40k miles on a big turbo setup,all of the parts were in good nick.
Hi s3alex yeah sorry I didn't reply Erm yeah I saw your pictures and stuff like that looks the nuts what they have done with your car I'd love to do that just haven't got the time and stuff to do that sort of thing I'm just looking for like stage 2 nothing more I don't think and that's alright I don't live near that area and I found one of there company's in woking area so that's where il go well il probably stick with them if they are that good I did read there web pages ect and I did feel more comfortable with them reading it but then didn't no still because didn't really here much about them like revo apr ect plus it's my first time remapping I don't wanna ruin the car badly or it to go bang or anything lol , might ask them about apr to think I'm just being a whimp about it and should just do it lol

Reactions: S3Alex
No probs....the company in Woking is not the same as AMDTuning.

If you're in that part of the country,then you should take a look at Storm Developments in Aldermaston,near Reading,who have also done a lot of work more recently for me,including an engine build,plus DSG fitting and mapping.

Reactions: Lee.25 and HHS3
Oh did they oh that's alright then well il ask them anyways tbh I just wanted to no if they was any good then selfs and any one had any problems tbh as I'm going to them ..., yeah il have to ask them about the dsg see if they do a remap for it if not then il have to leave it, as I said my cambelt already been done Ive had all bits that would go wrong on the car done and it runs smooth and had no problems just the dv+ and PCv now but they seem okay aswell and yeah I no it is weird set up haveing a chain on some s3s and a belt on others .... yeah I was thinking about that the decokeing . yeah if probably go for that but how often does it build up with **** can't be that often ?

For sure, there's no bad press on AMD Tuning or their custom remaps on here bud it's all good so I'd definitely go with them. Ah yes you did say that you've already had the cambelt & waterpump done! All S3 8P engines have both a cambelt and cam chain, it was the first car I had ever heard of running both on the same engine. The more power you're running, then the quicker it'll build up, Alex had his done at 40K and it was coked up pretty badly, he then had it done again 30K later of which it was bad again, although he was around the 440bhp mark at the time IIRC so a quicker build up.

Oh are they not

If you're in that part of the country,then you should take a look at Storm Developments in Aldermaston,near Reading,who have also done a lot of work more recently for me,including an engine build,plus DSG fitting and mapping.

Oh are they not so what are they ? Because on amds website says they have other branches and stuff I just thought that was them to ? Oh have they hmmmm I could cancel and try storm developments I just want a good remap and dsg map tbh

For sure, there's no bad press on AMD Tuning or their custom remaps on here bud it's all good so I'd definitely go with them. Ah yes you did say that you've already had the cambelt & waterpump done! All S3 8P engines have both a cambelt and cam chain, it was the first car I had ever heard of running both on the same engine. The more power you're running, then the quicker it'll build up, Alex had his done at 40K and it was coked up pretty badly, he then had it done again 30K later of which it was bad again, although he was around the 440bhp mark at the time IIRC so a quicker build up.
Ohh right okay that's fairenough then but I was going to go to the amd one in woking but Alex said it's not the same as the one in Essex or something so I'm bit stuck now but he said try storm developments so I might give them a ring tomorrow or something see what they say ... oh was it Jesus well il have to get that sorted aswell when I eventually get mapped mines on 49k probably bad now I would imagine

Oh are they not

Oh are they not so what are they ? Because on amds website says they have other branches and stuff I just thought that was them to ? Oh have they hmmmm I could cancel and try storm developments I just want a good remap and dsg map tbh

Just not the same ownership.

I've never heard anything bad about them simply that I cannot vouch for them as I've never used them.

I only ever recommend people I know.

Just not the same ownership.

I've never heard anything bad about them simply that I cannot vouch for them as I've never used them.

I only ever recommend people I know.
Ohh I see but the same company tho ... il give them try anyways if I don't like the map then I can just tell them to take it off really couldn't I but yeah I understand what our saying but seeing as I did go on to the site and it says that woking do amd technik aswell I thought easy for me saves travelling far away

Reactions: S3Alex