Weird rattle noise coming from clutch (Video)

Dylan Johnson

Test123
Reaction score
This has been happening ever since I bought it however its really quiet when the clutch pedal is fully out, its at its loudest when at biting point (which is what im doing in the video) and the noise fully goes when the clutch pedal is all the way in.

Im guessing its the clutch release bearing maybe? Also is it ok to drive?

That's not good and I wouldn't be driving around in it as it could fail at any time. Don't know what year your car is but there are a lot of A3's Golfs etc having issues with Sachs clutch plates around the 2010-2012 age . A colleague of mine had a 2011 2.0 TDI Golf with less than 40K on the clock making a similar noise. he kept driving it around till one day he came out and could see a puddle of oil under the car.
One of the pressure plate fingers had broken and was rubbing on the end of the gearbox internally . It machined a nice groove in the end of the box resulting in a hole right on one of the shaft bearings. This could not be welded so he had to find a good second hand box.
The car is telling you something is wrong, If you bought it like that then I hope you got it cheap, Get it looked at before the car lets you down or the cheap fix gets more expensive. Could also be the DMF.
How many miles has it done ?

That's not good and I wouldn't be driving around in it as it could fail at any time. Don't know what year your car is but there are a lot of A3's Golfs etc having issues with Sachs clutch plates around the 2010-2012 age . A colleague of mine had a 2011 2.0 TDI Golf with less than 40K on the clock making a similar noise. he kept driving it around till one day he came out and could see a puddle of oil under the car.
One of the pressure plate fingers had broken and was rubbing on the end of the gearbox internally . It machined a nice groove in the end of the box resulting in a hole right on one of the shaft bearings. This could not be welded so he had to find a good second hand box.
The car is telling you something is wrong, If you bought it like that then I hope you got it cheap, Get it looked at before the car lets you down or the cheap fix gets more expensive. Could also be the DMF.
How many miles has it done ?

Thanks for your reply, it's 2005 with BKD engine with 100k and it has one of the best service history's I've ever seen with Audi long life service every year.

Also around 1-2 years ago the car had a gearbox rebuild and new clutch.