New Pistons and Con Rods = new engine?

Neil Wilkinson

Reaction score
As the title says really, I had the oil consumption problem and Audi replaced the pistons, con rods etc at no cost to myself.

So I'm guessing it's basically a new engine now am I correct?

Well not quite as there is a lot more to an engine that the pistons and rods. You certainly couldn't advertise it as having a new engine.
Hopefully it has resolved your oil consumption issues, when they go this far it usually does.

From what I read, they seem to deal with this problem (heat damage to pistons/rings?) in two possible ways. 1) New pistons, piston rings and I assume associated bearings, nuts, bolts and gaskets or 2) New engine. I assume they take a view when they strip the engine down and if there is no collateral damage/wear they renew just the pistons under option 1).

Renewing the pistons is not technically a new engine but I suppose from a practical perspective, on a relatively new car, it is virtually as good as.

From what I've read, owners who had had these fixes do not suffer a reoccurrence of the problem.

When they first launched generation 1 of the EA888 1.8/2.0 petrol engine in question around 2007, Audi were very pleased with themselves for making the engine lighter as well as more powerful and economical. I would guess that this quest, plus having components made to a strict price, contributed to the problem.

Thanks guys, I was just curious that's all.

Touch wood it has cured the oil consumption problem as not had to top up since getting it done in November last year (prior was adding oil ever week!!)