S3 Manual Gearchange

Jai

Reaction score
Hi, I have owned my standard manual S3 for a few weeks now, it's great and I've been driving it as much as I can.
I am finding the gearchange to be a bit sticky though, making it awkward to get through the gears with any kind of finesse... Is there anything I can do to make the gearchange smoother (I came from a Ford Focus ST which had a much smoother action)?

I've been looking at quickshifters for instance as I've had one on a previous car and it was very good, whilst not really making the action smoother it did reduce the notchyness.

Cheers

Unfortunately I'm not writing to suggest a remedy but to agree with you that the manual is a little 'jolty', especially from 1st to 2nd. Some try it on Charlie will comment say you're not driving it properly, but I've had enough manual cars to notice this gearbox isn't the smoothest!!

Reactions: Jai
I'm finding that rather than flicking the box through the gears, I'm having to really whack them through. It's fine with normal driving, only on the rare occasion I want to push on. I know there's always a learning period with a new car but I'm struggling to see how I can work around it.

I'll probably look into a quickshifter and changing the gearbox oil.

I'm finding that rather than flicking the box through the gears, I'm having to really whack them through. It's fine with normal driving, only on the rare occasion I want to push on. I know there's always a learning period with a new car but I'm struggling to see how I can work around it.

I'll probably look into a quickshifter and changing the gearbox oil.

This very thing in a loaned manual S3 made me change my order to the S Tronic!

I couldn't drive it fast and slick at all. It wasn't lack of skill either... I'm no Lewis Hamilton, but I've had enough quick cars to know how to drive them!

The S Tronic is fantastic and certainly the correct decision for me, a former anti-auto driver!

The Focus has a 6 speed Getrag box, and it's a very good box that was used in the Noble at some point. Problem is, Ford do have some of the best shift actions on cars...

It's a 'notchy' box and I found it so satisfying to drive, it's an occasion to change gear!

Has anyone fitted a quickshifter? I see Forge does one

I have the forge shifter and it's really good.

I also agree that gear box is a bit of a pain and I've also changed the clutch which makes it's a little harder. All I can say is I now try changing after 2500-3000rpm on normal driving but again I'm used to it now and don't have much of a problem.

I have also took the washer out of the clutch delay valve and it helps.

What does removing the washer from the clutch delay valve do? I've noticed that the clutch seems a little slow to re engage after a change, does this speed up the action? And does it have any negative effects?

It flows better and the delay on gear change is massively reduced.

I've not had any issues and there are aftermarket delay valves out there so I'd assume it would be ok.

Reactions: Jai