Audi S3 Saloon Facelift Insurance

krish123

Reaction score
Hi All,

My S3 Saloon has now been built and is currently going through quality control, so I imagine not long until it gets shipped over to the UK.

I want to have insurance in place by the time the car arrives.

im a 25 year old male with 5 years NCB under my fathers policy with Admiral (now he is with Esure).

I have been previously been told I need to take out my own policy if I am the person who took out the finance, so can you recommend some good insurance companies that will give a decent price?

I did a quick search on a comparison site which adds my parents to the insurance and best quote online was something around £780.

Im pretty sure I can get a better price than this?

Under my fathers policy we were quoted at £486 but he was down as the main driver.

As for GAP insurance is this crucial? from what iv read so far it seems to be, and best place for it is ALA?

Does your normal insurance never cover you for the total vehicle value?

Appreciate the suggestions.

You own/rent the car it can only be insured in your name as the registered keeper and GAP is paramount to cover the cars value over the first 3 years of ownership because there will be a deficit between what the cars worth and what you owe via finance if the worst happens? and £780 seems not a bad price for your age mate

Last edited:
Reactions: RustyTheSnowman, Scottyg, OST and 1 other person
Thanks Jassy, I am planning to get GAP insurance for sure, how much you reckon it will be over 4 years?

Just to clarify, if you are the main user of the car, you need to be the main driver. This is true of any car, however it is bought, not just for cars on finance.

Putting your old man as the main driver while you are the named driver on the policy, despite the fact you drive the car most is known as 'fronting' and is committing insurance fraud. Not suggesting that is what you have been doing, just clarifying.

As Jassy says, GAP is crucial on a new car, particular if on finance. Some policies will cover you for a new vehicle replacement in the first year, but this generally isn't very comprehensive and is obviously only in the first year. You insurance will only cover market value and the car will depreciate heavily in the first years. This will leave you with a rather large shortfall between what you owe, and what the insurance pays out. GAP will cover this.

ALA is a good place to go for it. Usually about £200 over 3 years.

Reactions: richinsoton, h5djr and Jassyo06
On a brand new car, especially one on a PCP, I would say GAP insurance is essential. Vehicle Replacement is better than just Return to Invoice as it will cover any price increases over the 3 years and doesn't cost much more.
Try several companies - ALA are good and will often price match other companies such as GAP123.

Another way to reduce your main car insurance is to take out Excess Insurance with ALA. With this your can afford to have a higher excess on the main policy and cover the cost of the Excess if anything does happen. I have done this for a while and when I did have to have some repair work done a few years ago it didn't cost me anything. Main insurance paid for the repairs and ALA paid for the Excess. Well worth considering.

Reactions: richinsoton, Scottyg, DrEskimo and 2 others
thanks for the comments so far, il check out ALA and GAP123 and see which is cheaper. The £780 is with both parents added to the policy btw.

Isnt to bad but im going to try to get it cheaper, any good companies you would recommend ?

thanks for the comments so far, il check out ALA and GAP123 and see which is cheaper. The £780 is with both parents added to the policy btw.

Isnt to bad but im going to try to get it cheaper, any good companies you would recommend ?

I get decent prices from DirectLine.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I'm 23, live in a 'rough' area. Car is in a secure car park through the day and drive way at night. Mum & Dad as named drivers, 5 years NCB. £540 for the year. Fully comp - SDP&C Though AXA Insurance.

Reactions: Scottyg
Just a heads up, (found on Pistonheads) there's a discount code for ALA - PISTON12, gives you 12% off.

Reactions: krish123, KenL, Djs3saloon and 2 others
The quote youve got is excellent for your age and NCB.

Ala advocate here and use the above code for discount

On a brand new car, especially one on a PCP, I would say GAP insurance is essential. Vehicle Replacement is better than just Return to Invoice as it will cover any price increases over the 3 years and doesn't cost much more.
Try several companies - ALA are good and will often price match other companies such as GAP123.

Another way to reduce your main car insurance is to take out Excess Insurance with ALA. With this your can afford to have a higher excess on the main policy and cover the cost of the Excess if anything does happen. I have done this for a while and when I did have to have some repair work done a few years ago it didn't cost me anything. Main insurance paid for the repairs and ALA paid for the Excess. Well worth considering.

Never knew about that cover. Is it expensive? Great idea to keep your insurance cheaper.

Never knew about that cover. Is it expensive? Great idea to keep your insurance cheaper.
I paid £35.00 for 12 months cover. Renewal is timed to match your main car insurance.

I'm 29, 4 years NCB and paying £150 a month (albeit I changed mid-term to the S3 so I think they are over charging me). Once I come to the end of this policy year I shall be shopping around, I'm hoping for anything below £1k :D

Definitely get GAP cover. I took in a ALA quote to Audi when I picked my car up and they discounted their GAP cover to £310 (£70 higher than ALA). I just took it so I was comfortable driving home being covered, and the fact all my agreements are in one "place".

I'm 23, live in a 'rough' area. Car is in a secure car park through the day and drive way at night. Mum & Dad as named drivers, 5 years NCB. £540 for the year. Fully comp - SDP&C Though AXA Insurance.

That's really good mate! I will definitely try AXA. your situation is similar to mine, I live in a decent area, car will be parked in driveway and secure car park in the day too so should be able to get a similar price. I will also put my Mum and Dad on the policy to reduce the price somewhat.