Difficulty engaging reverse 1.8t bex

jimbob79

Reaction score
Right guys, i need some help.. occasionally i cannot engage reverse at all.. i have to wait for everything to warm up before it plays ball.. this has been happeneing on and off for about 2 years.. frustrating.. anyhow, i took it too a friend today who recomended a new clutch and dmf.. Been doing some reading up on dmf failure and im getting none of the symptoms.. also my clutch appears to be sound. No high bite, no juddering when pulling away. Can anybody shed any light or has had similar probs.. my car is a 1.8t bex fwd.. If i can avoid a new dual mass flywheel that would be awesome as theyre f***ing expensive..thanks in advance..

I'd say it's nothing to do with clutch/DMF, but down to incorrect setting up of or worn gear selector mechanism. Common problem on VAG cars of that era.

Reactions: Nutrienthorse
I have this exact issue too, interested to see the fix. Selecting first on mine can sometimes be harder than it should too.

As this appears to be temperature-related - at least in Jimbo's case (gets easier after letting everything warm up) it's possible a change of gearbox oil may alleviate the hard reverse shifts.

I would try this first.

I had this and it was clutch related. Engaged reverse no problem when warm. Sometimes really tricky when cold. I found the clutch hung on for some time. Over a year or so it held okay then suddenly became more apparent that the bite got higher and slip came in. New clutch - (didn't need a fly wheel) sorted it all.

Sometimes I have to inch my car forward in first just a tap before I can put it in reverse. No idea why. It just gets stuck going into reverse. PD130 AVF 1.9tdi

Have had this complaint with several cars over the years, if there is nothing else wrong with the DM flywheel or clutch changing it will make little difference we have tried this. Changing the oil in the box also seems to make little difference but if you do decide to give this a go you will need about 2.5 litres of FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL 75/90 and possibly a M16 12 spline security bit to remove the plug. Not all gearbox's have the tamper proof plug but may be worth checking before you set out to do the job as you will not be able to remove it without the proper tool.
ScreenShot079

So no real answer to the original question and having tried the above am starting to think it has to have something to do with the box itself.

Last edited:
I also get intermittent problems selecting mainly 1st/reverse. Going to start by changing all old engine mounts particularly rear/gearbox one for new. Then go from there..