Audi pre sense warning

Bellasdad

Reaction score
Driving along minding my own business, lifted off the accelerator to cruise up to a line of stationary traffic when all of a sudden a loud beep sounds and big red triangle appears in the middle of the dash. My first thought was to speed dial Audi Assist but after giving my heart rate a moment or two to drop below 120 bpm I thought it might be wise to consult my owners manual when I got home. Thank goodness I did, apparently this was my first experience of the Audi pre-sense feature kicking in. There was no automatic breaking or seat belt tension, just the warning chime and the blooming big red triangle.
I'd love to know why this happened as there was no obvious hazard in sight to warrant activating the system.
Is there any way to deactivate or to alter the sensitivity of this feature through the MMI ?
I don't think the old ticker could stand another episode like this one...!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I've heard a few stories of it on the Mk7 Golf being a real life-saver in stop-start traffic.

Not sure on the sensitivity though and I'm guessing it's not adjustable (although on the Golf you could turn it off)

Maybe it thought you were going too fast in the approach and as it couldn't sense you on the brake it activated?

Reactions: Bellasdad
My old S3 had this. It could of just been a ghost warning possibly. Something blocked the sensor?

Reactions: Greg Goulding and Bellasdad
Think you can adjust in mmi . Haven't had it go off on me yet .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes you can adjust, or turn it off, its in menu, car, driver assist, audi pre sense. However if you turn it off it will be reactivated when you turn the ignition off. I find the late setting just fine...

Not had it go off in the 4 yet but in my 5 it used to go off when hitting the uphill part of a big dip in the road nearby. There was also a corner with a wall where it would go off. It was only the warning tho, not the brakes.

Generally though it is terrifying!

Yes you can adjust, or turn it off, its in menu, car, driver assist, audi pre sense. However if you turn it off it will be reactivated when you turn the ignition off. I find the late setting just fine...
Nice one, I'll be trying that first thing tomorrow, scared the life out of me.
Thanks.

Reactions: cuke2u
Not had it go off in the 4 yet but in my 5 it used to go off when hitting the uphill part of a big dip in the road nearby. There was also a corner with a wall where it would go off. It was only the warning tho, not the brakes.

Generally though it is terrifying!
It sure was, I'll be pursuing Audi for the cost of new underpants !

Scared the bejabbers out of me the first time it kicked in, very quickly changed the setting...

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Bellasdad
Helped me out a couple of times and it's brilliant knowing it's there actually. I keep it at medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to switch it off because it's randomly gone off for no reason several times over the last 12 months (most recently last Friday) but I know it's going to save me one day so I have refrained from doing so.

Reactions: duckduck
I want to switch it off because it's randomly gone off for no reason several times over the last 12 months (most recently last Friday) but I know it's going to save me one day so I have refrained from doing so.
Has just the warning triangle come up or has the breaking system kicked in as well?
I'm going to adjust the settings as cuke2u described, I certainly don't want this to be a regular occurrence, unless it's absolutely necessary of course.

I've had it happen twice, first time when driving along a country lane and a bicycle came around a right hand bend just ahead and second on a motorway in slow moving traffic and the car in front suddenly braked. That last one I was certainly grateful for as I wasn't really concentrating. Both times the alarm sounded and brakes applied for a split second.

Reactions: Rob_F and Thundercliffe81
I've had it happen twice, first time when driving along a country lane and a bicycle came around a right hand bend just ahead and second on a motorway in slow moving traffic and the car in front suddenly braked. That last one I was certainly grateful for as I wasn't really concentrating. Both times the alarm sounded and brakes applied for a split second.

Coming as standard, it's really good isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pre-sense in the Audi is less frequent than my old Mercedes, the Merc use to go off all the time if the road had a slight bend in it and it thought I was going to have a head on with a car going in the other direction. The Audi has gone off a few times, but only if there was a something in the road, like a crossing bollard or something.
Never had the brakes applied in the Audi, but I was impressed with the Merc on the M5 last year when traffic came to a standstill pretty quickly, and before I had time to react and hammer on the anchors it already had the brake pedal depressed and the seatbelt pre-tensioners fired. My fear was the car behind hitting me, but luckily it was another Merc and I assume it's pre-sense assist went off and done the same as we all came to a stop without incident.

Hope the Audi one is as good if the situation every occurs again!

Has just the warning triangle come up or has the breaking system kicked in as well?
I'm going to adjust the settings as cuke2u described, I certainly don't want this to be a regular occurrence, unless it's absolutely necessary of course.
The breaks have kicked in a couple of times. The craziest one I've had is when I was parked up and a car sped past causing the belts tighten up

I've just altered the setting in the MMI to late. Hopefully this will help with the sensitivity issue and only activate in a real emergency. At least I know it's doing what it says on tin but I can't help but wonder what it's got up it's sleeve for the next little surprise. They're not fitted with ejector seats are they....!

Reactions: Zocko