A3 key fob reprogramming

milkyjoe01

Reaction score
Hi. I'm experiencing an issue with my 2004 Audi A3 key fob. It is intermittently unlocking the doors. If I hold it directly above the bonnet it works every time so I assumed it was the battery but a new battery has not changed the issue. Can anyone advise me, if I bought a second hand fob & just used the bottom part with my original top part, key & transponder, then surely all I would need to do is reprogramme the 2nd hand part to work with the central locking because the top part already has the key & original transponder in it. Am I correct in assuming this? So basically all I need is the internal circuit board for the central locking? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Yes mate, you can just replace top part of a fob, and then code remote to your comfort module with VCDS. Remember to get remote with the same frequency as your old one.

Thanks for responding. I've found a few on ebay for around the £25 mark but they are mostly the newer style with the silver key chain part. Although it states that they are 434 mhz, the same freq. as mine, do you know if they will work? Also, is £25 about right or should it be cheaper? It's a pity as i only need the internal circuit board!! Thanks.

I don't think it will work as they look like they are a slightly different shape than mine & i need my top 1/2 with the transponder. Apart from ebay do you know of anywhere i could buy a cheap 2nd hand 434 mhz key fob for a 2004 A3, without the silver key chain attachment?

All i need to know now is can i use a key fob that is 433.92mhz even though my fob is 434mhz? i've been told by 1 ebay seller that you can use a 433.92mhz fob as a 434mhz fob but i am unsure, i know it's only 0.08mhz difference but it is a different frequency. Any help provided is much appreciated.

433.93MHz wont work. You can get the newer style fob (434), put your transponder in and get a blank blade cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey,
Why are you trying to do everything by yourself? I had the same problem and I called some locksmith my father adviced. They brought the remote and I chose which one I wanted. They reprogrammed it. It's really comfortable to get some help.

PS.
www.azlocksmith.co.uk this is the one. If you decide not to buy and reprogramme your key fob by yourself try them.

Second hand newer shape fob is around 30 quid, a cut blank blade less than a tenner. Transponder can be swapped over. Cheaper, isn't it? ;-)