Facelift MPG S3 2017

Beaver02

Reaction score
right had my car over a week now, and best MPG i've had is 29.6.... interesting to see what everyone's for the new S3 face lifts are :)

I'm having too much to care about the MPG but very intrigued

21 around the town and 35 on a long trip? Depends if im being a or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta and Beaver02
21 around the town and 35 on a long trip? Depends if im being a or not

About 21 urban and just got 38 on a 3 hour run

Reactions: Beaver02
My old S3 8P used to get between 21-24 town and 38 mpg on a long run at 60 and that had the tte420 turbo on, interesting to see what the 8V gets when mine is delivered this month

Average so far is 28.1 according to the trip comp.

Typically get around 20 when having fun and 32-35 when commuting.

The best i did was 29mpg from birmingham to London

30 mpg on the 15 mile daily commute on mixed urban and dual carriageway. Steady 200 mile motorway run at 70 saw 40 mpg at the end. Spirited driving in Sport Auto sees 26. All in all, very happy with that and about 4mpg better across the board than our previous M135i for similar levels of performance.

What's people's lowest? Ive seen 5.6 mpg when booting it in second.

Reactions: LewMcC and ChivsBang
What's people's lowest? Ive seen 5.6 mpg when booting it in second.

Always at the petrol station, but to honest it's the best ride ever... just steered it for 3 hours and enjoyed every second... Cruises like a v8, accelerates like a super car, handles like a rally car...enough said!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Milnesafc and LewMcC
When i consider my 1.2 "fr" ibiza averaged 32mpg doing the same driving..... now i could say im averaging 26 with triple the hours power (but slightly less motorway miles so should actually be higher)

Does anyone else fine E mode unsettling? I tried it on a motorway trip to Dublin and hated the coasting feature

Reactions: ChivsBang
When i consider my 1.2 "fr" ibiza averaged 32mpg doing the same driving..... now i could say im averaging 26 with triple the hours power (but slightly less motorway miles so should actually be higher)

Does anyone else fine E mode unsettling? I tried it on a motorway trip to Dublin and hated the coasting feature

Must agree don't like the coasting thing.. unsettles me

Tried it once when I got the car to see what difference it made. The free wheeling thing is noticeable but got used to it quickly. Never use it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I didn't buy this car for economy and secondly it hardly made any difference in the mpg on my commute which is virtually identical every day compare with Dynamic.
Hence I drive in Dynamic all the time.

Reactions: LewMcC
I don't have my Audi yet but in my old HGV Lorry (Mercedes Actros) it had the same feature where it would basically cut the engine and coast when it had the momentum to do so. Get used to it.

Doesn't cut the engine, just uncouples the clutch pack (s tronic).

Just either tap the brake or pull the downshift paddle, either stop it coasting (and doesn't put the gearbox in "M")

Reactions: Milnesafc and Audi Bairn
I don't have my Audi yet but in my old HGV Lorry (Mercedes Actros) it had the same feature where it would basically cut the engine and coast when it had the momentum to do so. Get used to it.

Just either tap the brake or pull the downshift paddle, either stop it coasting (and doesn't put the gearbox in "M")

I suspect cutting the engine on a c.16 litre Actros engine saves a bit more fuel than cutting a 1.6 litre engine in an Audi, but with start-stop getting widespread acceptance, this tech is definitely on the cards for cars.

Reactions: Audi Bairn

Also, it doesn't free wheel if using cruise.

Just sold my 40000 mile S3 and average mpg over its life (I never reset trip 1) was 32mpg. There was lots of town driving, but most was motorway. I didn't baby it either. The S3 is a really cheap car to run in my opinion.

Reactions: Milnesafc and samo26
Around town about 22 mpg but on an 80 mile dual carriageway run about 43-45 mpg. This is with the car in dynamic with judicious use of "S" at roundabouts etc. Fuel is Shell V-power and car has now done nearly 5,000 miles. In bumper-to-bumper traffic the fuel consumption is abysmal even with start/stop enabled. Maybe 15 mpg for that.

Reactions: AL_B and LewMcC
I'm only on my 2nd day of ownership but very impressed with the mpg, on my 40 miles motorway commute to work this morning I averaged 35mpg and didn't really hang about. That was using efficiency mode with the odd squirt of dynamic for roundabouts etc.

Last night I had a fun B road drive and was circa 25 mpg, not sure my girlfriend appreciated that after a valentines dinner out though.....

Reactions: Audi Bairn, AudiNutta, Milnesafc and 1 other person
Best 49 :innocent:

Average 27.7

Almost at 8k miles now, 3dr facelift DSG.

Best 49 :innocent:

Average 27.7

Almost at 8k miles now, 3dr facelift DSG.

49?? How on earth did you manage that? Or was that a very short downhill journey? My best whole tank brim-to-brim is 39mpg. Worst is 26.8, Ave is 30.5

Averaging 29mpg this week, it's the first proper week I've had to fill up from empty to full... still got over half a tank left and I'm 168 miles into it. Probably end up about 340-360 miles out of a full tank. Which, is about 80 more than I ever got out the ST... WIN for me :)

Averaging 29mpg this week, it's the first proper week I've had to fill up from empty to full... still got over half a tank left and I'm 168 miles into it. Probably end up about 340-360 miles out of a full tank. Which, is about 80 more than I ever got out the ST... WIN for me :)
It's great isn't it, my TT tdi ultra was giving me 500 miles a tank, happy to lose 100 or so miles for the 130bhp.

Reactions: Mark_86
It's great isn't it, my TT tdi ultra was giving me 500 miles a tank, happy to lose 100 or so miles for the 130bhp.

It is. I've done nearly 900 miles in about 2 1/2 weeks... lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn and TYb
How many miles are you all getting to a tank ? And what's it cost for a full tank?
My facelift comes in march currently got a tte420 8P S3 and that thing is thirsty

How many miles are you all getting to a tank ? And what's it cost for a full tank?
My facelift comes in march currently got a tte420 8P S3 and that thing is thirsty

Ave about 33-35mpg this week, should get around 360 miles from the tank - cost £63.00 with Shell V-Power...

Now on 1150 miles lol

400 miles in and mine is averaging 32 mpg, on the motorway commute I get 35ish mpg in efficiency mode, at the weekend in dynamic it dips.....

Filling up all depends on the garage etc but looking in the region of £60 a tank. Range is 360/370 at the moment

Reactions: Mark_86
Its not the MPG that bothers me; it is more that I always take the long route, meaning I am travelling about twice the miles I need to.

Am i the only one who lets my car go right down to when the fuel light comes on to make sure i actually get the 55 litres i paid for? (pumps are calibrated right)

Its just a girl in my old work filled up her 70litre Passat and it some how held 83 litres at a certain local garage....

Would you guys who have S3's and used them for a while recommend premium fuels? If so, would you do that on every fill up?

Thank you!

So I'm about 25 minutes into reading that thread and at the moment everyone seems to agree to disagree :search:

If they agree with me, you can trust them... ;)

Reactions: Tom.H, AudiNutta and Steelster
If they agree with me, you can trust them... ;)
Phew, just finished! Seems like Shell V-power gets a good backing, tesco 99 also used a lot.

Annoyingly for me, the only shell nearby is a little garage on the side of a dual carriageway (20 min round trip from home). Maybe I'll toss a coin!

Reactions: GSB
No point in putting 99 in a standard S3 in my opinion as it's designed to run on a veriaty of fuel, where as my 8p was mappped to run on 99 and if ever I got caught short and had to put 95/97 in it was lathargic