National tyres - oil change

8h3tdi

Reaction score
Was due an oil change on my 3.0 tdi. Was shopping around to see how much I could get my oil for. it was ending up around the £55 mark for 8 litres of oil and filter.

With this cold weather I didn't really fancy doing it my self nor having much time atm.

I found national tyres using Fuchs oil and Mann oil filters for £72. (With a 10% discount code "GPLUS2OF")

Which I thought was a good price?

So for anyone whos oil change is due and doesn't want to brave the cold or crawl under their car at this time of year. This Maybe an option for you.

I had a bit of a problem on my bmw for this, long story short I spent most of the day at national because the filter they ordered again and again didn't fit my car and they ended up changing the oil and leaving the old filter. Eventually managed to get them to order a genuine BMW filter at their expense but had to complain to customer services and several phone calls later. But yeah the price was okay.

I'm sure it was the Mann filter that didn't fit and it was the only one on their system specified for my car

BMW Minis suffer from having lots of possible variants for parts but not encountered this for normal BMWs which are usually uncomplicated in this respect - I suspect it was their system?

The price in the OP sounds like a proper bargain - my oil is due for its annual change around now and as you say, the thought of crawling under a car in these cold wet conditions and fiddling around (in my case) undoing 11 belly-plate torx screws, is not appealing :sadlike:

Reactions: 8h3tdi
Invest in a oil extractor .
Funny you should say that, I have always used a PELA extractor before and it works great in other cars but the probe won't get to the oil in my Audi - there seems to be some obstruction - I've queried it with PELA and poured over forums and I suspect there is some sort of "sump baffle system" in certain VAG sumps - there seems so many engine variants it's hard to know which ones exactly

BMW Minis suffer from having lots of possible variants for parts but not encountered this for normal BMWs which are usually uncomplicated in this respect - I suspect it was their system?

The price in the OP sounds like a proper bargain - my oil is due for its annual change around now and as you say, the thought of crawling under a car in these cold wet conditions and fiddling around (in my case) undoing 11 belly-plate torx screws, is not appealing :sadlike:

I would of probably tried and pushed for them to change the oil again if they didn't change the filter and I drove off...

Invest in a oil extractor .

I'm still not convinced on this method I know some cars have no sump plugs these days.

But some sumps dip down and sludge and rubbish sits there and your not sucking that up. Car designed with no sump must have a dip in a different place to suck it all up?

I still like a can of engine flush every other oil change and watching the rubbish pour out. Bit more satisfying.

If you do go with remember to book online and use he discount code above or print off the 10% voucher off their website. Every little helps.

Technically with good oil and intervals there shouldn't be any sludge , I haven't seen sludge for 10 years !

The only way you will truly find out with extraction is to suck the oil out then remove the plug and observe .