Tts front end shuddering low speed turns

Danzyaman

Reaction score
Hello my 2008 Tts has a problem. It seems when the car is cold and I turn corners as if the front wheels loose grip. I'm not going anywhere near fast enough though. The noise is a lot worse in reverse it's got to the point where I no longer back my car out each day because it feels like the whole front end is shuddering. It's been to various garages and no one can find any faults. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

The problem appeared to get better once the cars warm but if you turn on full lock you can still sort of hear a noise that sounds like the front tyres are loosing grip.

Thanks

Hi,

I had similar on my TTS when I used to reverse it off the drive and then put the steering on full lock. It felt like the blocks on the tyre treads where "jumping" as the car moved back. Also made a sound like the tyres were jumping side to side. Only ever noticed it when it was cold and reversing on full lock. Never found a solution. I put it down to that particular tyre pattern on cold tarmac under full sideways load.

That is exactly my problem I have changed brakes top mounts drop links,tyres all around 5mm tread so never thought it could be down to that. Was tempted to try tracking and wheel alignment to see if that would solve it. Cheese for the reply

Never had any issue myself, you may want to join the TT forum as the TT section here is no where as busy as the other models. If going for wheel alignment make sure its a hunter tracking machine. When your wheels are spinning is the traction control light flashing? shouldn't really happen on the TTS just mentioning it as could be haldex issues, wouldn't have shuddering with that though I don't think.

Reactions: sukrw
Never had any issue myself, you may want to join the TT forum as the TT section here is no where as busy as the other models. If going for wheel alignment make sure its a hunter tracking machine. When your wheels are spinning is the traction control light flashing? shouldn't really happen on the TTS just mentioning it as could be haldex issues, wouldn't have shuddering with that though I don't think.

Thanks for the TT Forum idea, I did wonder why this forum for the TT side of things was soooo lacking in posts. I too will head over to the TT Forum.
Is this the one?
http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Cheers

Reactions: Bhoy78
Yeah that's the one, really busy for us TT people in there

Reactions: sukrw
I did try to post on the tt forum just keep getting an error back every time I try to post so came here.

No light flashing just has the feel of loosing grip. Much worse in reverse almost feels as if the wheel is skipping. Once you have been around about2 corners it pretty much goes away. When I had car on ramp the mechanic did comment saying he thought my car had a 2ND hand haldex unit on it so maybe it's been changed at some point.

No light flashing just has the feel of loosing grip. Much worse in reverse almost feels as if the wheel is skipping. Once you have been around about2 corners it pretty much goes away. When I had car on ramp the mechanic did comment saying he thought my car had a 2ND hand haldex unit on it so maybe it's been changed at some point.

Strange about the error posting it seems to be working for me. Don't know why your mechanic would have thought you had a second hand haldex unit, if its a facelift model its a generation 4 haldex, 2 main problems can happen with them, one is the pump, they have an oil filter than audi don't class as being a serviceable part. The filter gets clogged up and it burns out the pump. The same haldex unit is used on plenty of other vag cars and they class the filter as serviceable. You can get a filter or any haldex issues fixed cheaply from auto fault finder, they used to be based in Cheshire but I believe they have recently moved, they also offer a postal service. The 2nd issue is due to the location of the haldex, basically water gets into what is meant to be a sealed unit, this corrodes the internal pcb, again this can be fixed rather cheaply. If it was a haldex fault your traction control light would flash on, a good way to test this is to come out from a junction turning right and giving it some beans, if the wheels are spinning then you likely have a haldex issue. Have never seen it myself but when you have a pump failure apparently it can get that bad the car is not drivable as the wheels just continually spin.

Do you or your mechanic have access to a vcds cable? your likely throwing up some fault codes. I am kinda new on here myself but they may have a section where members close by will help out and do a fault scan for you.

Keep trying to get registered for the TT forum, lots of knowledgeable people on there who have potentially had or read about the same issue.

Good luck

Cheers used a laptop managed to post on forum. Car is pre facelift and has had heldex service about 4 months ago. Not sure what that involves but it was done by Audi. The car drives great no spinning unless it's wet then you get the occasional traction light but it puts it's power down fine. I'll keep an eye on the tt forum post now thanks for all your help.