How much does your cleaning routine vary for winter?

SamR92

Reaction score
As per title, how much does your routine vary for the colder weather?

My usual 'good' weather routine is:

• Spray alloys with Bilt Hamber Autowheel and then pressure rinse off (usually leaves wheels pretty much clean), Quick going over with wheel brush and shampoo afterwards just be sure 100% clean
  • Snow foam bodywork & pressure rinse (AB MagiFoam, once run out I'm moving to Bilt Hamber Autofoam)
  • Wash bodywork inc doorshuts and bootshut, rinse (2BM with wash mitt and poor boys super slick & suds shampoo)
  • Pat dry with towel
  • Clean windows, mirrors and wipers (AG Fast Glass)
  • Dress tyres (AG Tyre Dressing, switching to Megs Edurance when I run out)
  • Exhaust Chrome (AG Metal Polish)
  • Dress rubber/plastics on door surrounds and rubber to the sides of windscreen
  • Wipe down interior with damp microfibre, detailing brush for vents etc
  • Speedo glass and interior glass with AG Fast Glass
  • Clean Mats
  • Hoover
  • Treat Leather with Dr Leather if needed

However in the cold/winter:
  • Spray alloys with Bilt Hamber Autowheel and then pressure rinse off (usually leaves wheels pretty much clean), Quick going over with wheel brush and shampoo afterwards just be sure 100% clean
  • Snow foam bodywork & pressure rinse (AB MagiFoam, once run out I'm moving to Bilt Hamber Autofoam)
  • AF Citrus Power on areas that are most dirty, then pressure wash off
  • Wash bodywork inc doorshuts and bootshut, rinse (2BM with wash mitt and poor boys super slick & suds shampoo)
  • Pat dry with towel (depends on temp)
  • Wipe down interior with dry microfibre
  • Hoover

It doesn't really change but I try to do it quicker as it's cold!

Always do interior before exterior; feed leather when the clocks change the same as my sofas :)

Reactions: Keef
I hardly clean, and when I do I take it to the local cleaning people who use autosmart products.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

As per title, how much does your routine vary for the colder weather?

My usual 'good' weather routine is:

• Pat dry with towel
  • Clean windows, mirrors and wipers (AG Fast Glass)
  • Dress tyres (AG Tyre Dressing, switching to Megs Edurance when I run out)
  • Exhaust Chrome (AG Metal Polish)
  • Dress rubber/plastics on door surrounds and rubber to the sides of windscreen
  • Wipe down interior with damp microfibre, detailing brush for vents etc
  • Speedo glass and interior glass with AG Fast Glass
  • Clean Mats
  • Hoover
  • Treat Leather with Dr Leather if needed

However in the cold/winter:
  • AF Citrus Power on areas that are most dirty, then pressure wash off
  • Pat dry with towel (depends on temp)
  • Wipe down interior with dry microfibre
  • Hoover
Very similar me really, but I also do interior first although don't suppose it matters. I use VP Citrus PW instead of foam and I now use Megs Nxt gen shampoo. Why does temp affect whether you pat dry or not?

Very similar me really, but I also do interior first although don't suppose it matters. I use VP Citrus PW instead of foam and I now use Megs Nxt gen shampoo. Why does temp affect whether you pat dry or not?

If it's really cold I find that pat drying leaves me fighting against condensation forming, and also stops me being able to feel my fingers :cold:

Sometimes it's easier just to do a few laps to 'dry' the car as much as I can (depending on the state of the roads). Going to try doing my final rinse after cleaning tomorrow with filtered water and then just leaving it to see how it goes without drying.

Reactions: Pook
I was doing final wipe down last night and some moisture on the roof froze!
Thought it was something I'd picked up on the MF cloth at first, then realised

Reactions: SamR92
I go from washing once a week to once a month because of the cold :(
A little ashamed of myself really, that car gleaming most of summer but in winter its absolutely filthy within two days so I lose the motivation.

I go from washing once a week to once a month because of the cold :(
A little ashamed of myself really, that car gleaming most of summer but in winter its absolutely filthy within two days so I lose the motivation.
That's me exactly, I feel bad too but I suppose we shouldn't.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

The only change to my routine in the winter is that I don't wax the car
At the mo I'm using a 50/50 mix ofSonax BSD & Adam's Detail Spray

Other than tha everythings the same

Reactions: Keef and Scottyg
I go from a weekly full wash, dry & polish (Gtechniq products) to just a power wash, snowfoam, rinse and dry. And even then only when the car is fairly dirty and splattered with mud.

I hate spending 2/3 hours on it, only to drive to Tesco's and its back to square one all over again :scared2:

Mine is gtechniq crystal serum and exo coated. All i do is snowfoam and rinse the bodywork, a bit of a scrub on the wheels and black the tyres

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@Bristle Hound, lol I just read the first and last page! All I need to know.
I tend to use the Adams QD when the car is still wet, works better for me ! as try hard as I might I cannot seem to put anything on a dry car without making a pigs ear of it! Assume you apply it to a dry car?

Sounds a good combo, going to try..after I've got through a litre of CP hydro lite

DWs biggest thread starter hey, you really are obsessed lol :rockwoot:

Reactions: Bristle Hound
@Bristle Hound, lol I just read the first and last page! All I need to know.
I tend to use the Adams QD when the car is still wet, works better for me ! as try hard as I might I cannot seem to put anything on a dry car without making a pigs ear of it! Assume you apply it to a dry car?

Sounds a good combo, going to try..after I've got through a litre of CP hydro lite

DWs biggest thread starter hey, you really are obsessed lol :rockwoot:
@Keef - I always apply to a dry car
Do a panel at a time. Spray product onto panel, work in circles with a short pile MF covering the whole panel & then buff off with a separate clean MF
Just make sure you don't over apply the product & you should be ok

If you have too much of the Adam's I could always purchase a litre from you if you need to shift it my friend ;) ;D

Ssshhh don't tell anyone. I'll get a bad name on ASN lol :laugh:

Beading with 50/50 mix of Sonax BSD & Adam's Detail Spray