Clicking Sound

bolt27

Reaction score
Morning all,

I've discovered an annoying clicking sound in my A4 which is coming from the drivers side vent. When I turn the engine on it's makes quite a loud clicking sound 3 or 4 times. Its definitely coming from the vent, if I turn the engine on with the heaters/air con turned fully off it's fine. As soon as I turn them on though it clicks. Any idea what's causing it??

Car is only a year or so old so I assume Audi will sort it under warranty?

Thanks!

Sounds like one of the flap actuator motor out of calibration or faulty If it was out of warranty I'd try the a/c flap adaption ( calibration) in VCDS first, but as its just a yr old I'd just get it in with Audi- get them to sort it

There is a load of relays in that area, I can here mine clicking at times.

I had the same from my A6 coming from that area seems like mine was behind the light switch someone mentioned the auxiliary heater relay I turned mine off in the MMI and the noise disappeared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morning all,

I've discovered an annoying clicking sound in my A4 which is coming from the drivers side vent. When I turn the engine on it's makes quite a loud clicking sound 3 or 4 times. Its definitely coming from the vent, if I turn the engine on with the heaters/air con turned fully off it's fine. As soon as I turn them on though it clicks. Any idea what's causing it??

Car is only a year or so old so I assume Audi will sort it under warranty?

Thanks!
Definitely the aux heater same thing with my a6 as the last poster and contacted Audi who instructed me to switch it off and see, worked a treat. This is a secondary heater that cuts in when it's really cold and you probably never hear it once the car is warm as it switches itself off the.

Reactions: Peter Metcalf
Thanks all.

So assuming it's the aux heater is the clicking normal or something that Audi can sort? I've got it booked in with them but if they're just going to say it's normal I won't waste their time.

Thanks.

From what I've been told it's very common, and nothing to worry about, have you tried to turn the auxiliary heater off in the MMI to see if that's the problem. It could be something else but I'm most certain it will be the relay.

I couldn't see any mention of aux heater but did see suplimentary heater... turned that off and sound stopped! Saved my sanity! Thanks for that!

What does it actually do? Is it something I'll miss not having switched on or something of nothing?

Thanks

Yes that's the one I'm not too sure what it does to be honest I believe it helps warm the car up quicker if it's really cold, I've turned mine off and haven't noticed any difference, I was just glad I got rid of those annoying clicking noises lol, glad your sorted merry Christmas

Its an electric element, a bit like a fan heater at home. Helps you demist the screen before the coolant has warmed up.