intermitant rear door opening issue

taffy bhoy

Reaction score
car is a 58 plate a3 sportback, passenger rear door sometimes wont open from the outside, opens everytime on the inside

when we first bought the car a year ago, it was during the winter, and on about 4-5 occasions the drivers rear door would be do this, this problem vanished after a few weeks, and never came back, but now the passenger rear is doing the same thing. 9 times out of 10 it will open, but the other times it will only open after it has been opened from the inside. cant help but think it might be a damp issue as its always been during the winter, but might be barking up the wrong tree with that

any common reasons for this happening?
cheers in advance

Got the same on my nearside rear door. It started intermittently and is now permanent. It's the only thing I have left to fix - initial research suggests it is a common VAG problem - like the rear wiper motors :whistle2:

Sounds like the door opening modules sticking, common fault.
Is there an easy fix or is it just a door card strip down and new module?

Ideally remove the lock & clean up, but most change the lock module out for peace of mind.

Reactions: Retroman
is it plug and play with a replacement or do they require coding?

Had this myself, theres a good tutorial on youtube

is the link for changing the lock or fixing it? problem has gone from intermitant to constant ggrrrrrr

Got the same on my nearside rear door. It started intermittently and is now permanent. It's the only thing I have left to fix - initial research suggests it is a common VAG problem - like the rear wiper motors :whistle2:

Is there an easy fix or is it just a door card strip down and new module?

Check out my youtube fix for door faults : I struggled to get the correct lock but I made the 9 pin socket fit which has worked for 9 months but has since failed and I have replaced it again with the correct part code. not the cable size from a A4 is slightly longer so if you get your part from an A4 or other audi model ensure you put back on your A3 cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retroman