3 beeps while driving - what does it mean?

John Spooner

Reaction score
got 3 beeps just now while i was driving my car but no sure what it means as my display is all messed up and pixilated with lines

Three beeps is probably imminently fatal for the engine. Pull over and stop straight away - check fault codes with VCDS?

Edit: Just looked in my S3 manual. (assuming all 8L are the same).
Priority 1 - Red Symbols. Accompanied by three warning chimes.
1) Fault in the brake system.
2) Coolant level too low/ Coolant temperature too high.
3) Engine oil pressure too low.

If it was just after you started your engine and came from the rear of the car it's likely to be the alarm siren warning you that the backup battery in it is going flat. If it came from your dash and was loud you should stop ASAP!!

Reactions: Danman1
Your not having much luck are you.....not been cheeky but it sounds like you have bought a wrong one....hope it was cheap...
3 Beeps as said means the car should not be driven until it has been investigated, worse one been no oil pressure...
maybe you should have got the basic servicing/repairs done before diving in for the remap.....IMO

just did a scan to see if anythin came up

scan2.png

scan1.png

anyone see any related problems which the beeps in the scan results? would it log on vagcom?

happened when i was driving not on the turn on the key before starting the car

also defo came from the dash as center led panel went red
Ok, I see. Sounds like a oil issue Mate. get it checked ASAP. I had this when I ended on my roof in my previous.. Long story. Anyway, I apologise for the confusion, as I think the alarm is 4 beeps.

BR Andy.

No, its water brake or oil related and needs investigating... its the last warning you get before something goes bad (assuming its not a faulty sender...)
you can check the water level
you can check the brake level
you can check the oil level

if all 3 are ok i would suspect its oil pressure or a faulty sensor, but you really dont want to ignore it...
did you clear your codes from the other day?
it wont show up on vagcom as it is not a fault... it is a user warning...in other words it needs the users intervention to rectify it..

Looking at the fault codes it looks to me that its the coolant temp sensor. If its faulty it may be sending signal to the car saying its too hot.

Obviously check the oil, water and brake levels as dave said tho

oil level is spot on, checked just now as the engine is nice n cool

and yes i cleared the codes after the 3 beeps when i got home, ones posted are new

Reactions: Customboy
ok so went out this morning to see what would happen, was fine for the first 4-5 miles, then got 3 beeps with a red warning in the lcd, the followed by many single beeps and a yellow circle with MDH, but they would only beep once when i put my foot down?....only beeped 3 times once

mine did this ages and ages ago when i was going about 120 (on a private road obviously)

i scanned the car, checked everything, nothing was up with it apart from the temp sender fault you are getting on your vagcom results. buy a new temp sender from TPS or an audi dealer because the ones you get on ebay or from euro car parts are just pure gash and you will need to replace it in another couple of months as i found out twice.

but you might not be so lucky and it could be something more serious, hope it not though mate!

Are you saying you took it for another drive - when it's possibly got an oil pressure problem? :tocktock:

Have you got the manual for your car? have a read through the section about priority 1 warnings. I think it says something like "stop and get the problem fixed"

If it's the pads - that's great - but you can tell that by going and having a look at them ... ?

If it's not the pads. It's coolant or oil.

Coolant: level is ok? then maybe the temp. sensor? It's an easy fix you can do yourself for £15 when the engine is cold.

Oil: If the oil level is ok as you've said and it's an oil problem, then your engine will go ... well whatever happens when you lose oil pressure ...

Any way I think the general opinion is err on the side of caution ...

well i took if for a drive to my local garage slowly....and thats when i got the 3 beep followed by the constant single beep which is in fact front brake pads i believe....obviously i dont wanna seize up my engine so i am being extremely cautious about it all, they dont seem to think thats it oil pressure related cause id have an oil log flag up on the lcd which i dont but what do i know lol.....they told me single been MDH yellow circle is front brake pads and that the other 3 beeps at the start is most likely an initial warning of that fault...thats just there opinion tho

just to chuck it out there, it's not the speed warning beep/s. might have been set low by mistake. how fast/slow are you going when it happens.

Next stop ... get your dash board fixed. :icon_thumright:

There are some posts around on how to attempt a DIY fix but there are some companies you can pay to fit a new LCD so it will be perfick!

Good luck.

Reactions: John Spooner
just to chuck it out there, it's not the speed warning beep/s. might have been set low by mistake. how fast/slow are you going when it happens.

well once the single beep starts it doesnt stop unless i back off the throttle, and i aint really noticed the speed but il keep an eye out now, but around 2-4k revs, how do you reset it? hold the left button in for a few seconds?

The A4 gives a brake warning on the DIS and three beeps on startup when the battery is getting old (less than 12.2 volts approx). Just thought I'd throw that in as a possibility.

Personally I would assume its the oil pressure until I knew different. When was the last time the sump pickup pipe was checked/ replaced?

It is also possible the coolant level sensor has failed. Replacement involves a new header tank.

so what should i do? compression test it? i really dont think thats the cause but id like to rule it out, iv been in it a few time today and its running fine while driving and on idle

I can't remember off the top of my head. but I think if you press and hold the left button it will cancel it.

Check the speed you are doing when it does it slow down then get back up to the speed and see if it does it again....

You can see what the temperature sensor is doing by doing the 49c check ...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...off-motorway-cruising-speeds.html#post1521177

This will give you a live display of what your coolant temperature sensor is telling the car. I don't know if it's the correct sensor or if there's more than one. But if that value looks normal at least you can rule out the temperature sender perhaps?

If you've checked all the levels that the handbook talks about and cancelled the speed warnings take it to a garage! Even if they just spend 30mibs on it, why gamble your engine for a few quid...?

I can't believe what I have read here.

3 Beeps is BAD. Bad bad bad. Bad.

Here is a list of the possible dash displays: Jason Pearce | Chronicle - Audi Warning Lights and Indicators (ignore tyre pressure one).

Things that will cause three beeps - in my experience:

Coolant:
  • Low fluid level - easy to check. Warning comes from the sensor on the header tank. Top up. Ignore - engine goes bang.
  • High coolant temperature (Over 110 degrees) - easy to check. Monitor temperature gauge on the dash. Ignore - engine goes bang.
Oil:
  • Low oil pressure - not easy to check. Can be the sensor on the right hand side of the oil filter housing. Ignore - engine goes bang.
Brakes:

• Low Brake Fluid level - easy to check. Top up. Ignore - crash into a wall.

These are the things that will give you 3 beep (Priority 1) warnings.

So....

You've check the oil level. Pointless to be fair as the S3 has a sump oil level sensor and this will tell you when the oil is low. This is a yellow (P2) warning.

Brake pads are also a yellow (P2) warning. This will have nothing to do with the P1 warning. At all.

The way I understand it is that you have checked the coolant level, and you have checked the brake fluid level and all is well.

If you are driving along and the temp gauge isn't going completely spastic (although you do have a CTS fault listed), and there isn't the sound of the engine actually boiling when you turn it off, then I'd be getting your oil pressure tested ASAFP.

Low oil pressure WILL NOT log a fault code.

Bottom line - priority 1 warnings are not to be ignored. They are there for your safety and for that of the engine.

Get your oil pressure tested (preferably tow it to the place doing it just in case), and get a new coolant temp sensor. Don't drive it again until the problem is solved.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

will do a pressure test to see if its that, what about the single beep that i get with yellow circle saying MDH straight after the 3 beeps? the symbol i get is the explanation mark in red circle ! folowed by single bed yellow circle MDH