3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG query

Scengoid

Reaction score
This weekend I'm going to check out a 2005 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG with a view to purchase.

I've being looking through various forums and posts, and I've picked up items such as the 1800/2000 rpm roughness, smooth DSG gear changing, rattling chains being some of the things to watch out for.

My concern is the mileage is 96k. Now whilst I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a Diesel with that kind of mileage, this is a petrol engine and is definitely not a normal aspirated engine.

Insurance for me is £200, and tax is at the lower rate, £270pa. It's the fuel consumption, although a worry, is something I'm prepared to pay for to have some fun on occasion. BTW this will be my daily car to and from the office.

This also fits my budget of between £5-6k

I've just returned my BMW 318D and Saab 93 2.2tid, so boring oil burners, although they get the jub done, are just a little boring, and therefor a TDI is not floating my boat and T FSI is above my budget.

Should I be concerned with the high mileage?

Apologies in advance for the lengthy first post!

Scott

As long as the cars been looked after I wouldn't worry. You could get a 50k car that's had a hard life, or 100,000 easy miles. Sounds like you've done your homework. Don't rush to buy the first one though, it's definitely a buyers market so look around. You won't be dissapointed.

This weekend I'm going to check out a 2005 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG with a view to purchase.

I've being looking through various forums and posts, and I've picked up items such as the 1800/2000 rpm roughness, smooth DSG gear changing, rattling chains being some of the things to watch out for.

My concern is the mileage is 96k. Now whilst I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a Diesel with that kind of mileage, this is a petrol engine and is definitely not a normal aspirated engine.

Insurance for me is £200, and tax is at the lower rate, £270pa. It's the fuel consumption, although a worry, is something I'm prepared to pay for to have some fun on occasion. BTW this will be my daily car to and from the office.

This also fits my budget of between £5-6k

I've just returned my BMW 318D and Saab 93 2.2tid, so boring oil burners, although they get the jub done, are just a little boring, and therefor a TDI is not floating my boat and TFSI is above my budget.

Should I be concerned with the high mileage?

Apologies in advance for the lengthy first post!

Scott

You can get a 2005 Golf GTI MK5 200 PS within your budget, look on eBay.

Around 100K now though.

I got the 3.2 for daily comute and last car was a BMW 118d m sport I have not looked back v6 is a must I say, u can also yet decent mpg when driven sensibly and the dsg is good for that mine always sits in 6 th when doing about 35mph

Thanks AidenUK. It was an Audi A3 I was really after this time and I need to use a garage to part ex my Discovery against it. The discovery is my current commuting car.

I've just seen another V6, a sport not S-Line, with 60k on the clock, full leather, walnut etc. fairly closeby, so will hopefully be able to play the garages off against each other this weekend.

discostu49 - thanks and good to know, I am looking forward to understated nature of the V6 A3 with a bit of fun under the bonnet when needed.

Thanks AidenUK. It was an Audi A3 I was really after this time and I need to use a garage to part ex my Discovery against it. The discovery is my current commuting car.

Just thought i'd mention the GTI as you referred to a TFSI engine. I've had a MK5 Golf, wasn't a GTI but a TSI 170 and they're decent motors, i loved my Golf. The interior's don't compare with the A3's though IMO.

For those that took an interest in this post, I did not purchase said vehicle, lumpy bumpy around 2000rpm

Mine had the hesitation issues but I got it sorted through Audi. Never looked back. The V6 is a brilliant car and I love min eto bits. As said above, MPG can be pretty descent if you are careful. When I was still in the UK mine was my daily and I loved it. Since bringing it here, its more of a weekend car.

Which ever one you choose, make sure it has full service history and depending on the mileage, check that DGS and Haldex oils have been changed. Take it for a good test drive and dont just push it, try it as a steady pace and always check the gears in manual mode esp reverse. If alls smooth and there are no scary rattles from the engine you should be good.

These cars will make you smile every time you go out in them, mine does.

Keep us posted on how you get on, good luck and again as said before, look around at a few.