3.0 TDI pre FL vs FL MPG

greglogan

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone knows if there was any difference in the engines in pre Facelift and Facelift 3.0 V6 TDi in terms of MPG?

As far as I know, there is a difference in CO output so I assume that there may be a difference in mpg also. Also, anyone know what the cost of road tax in the preFL version is?

Thanks

:)

Last edited:
Hey

I have a 2010 prefl 3.0tdi. On a spirited drive or stuck in traffic i get low 30's to thw gallon, since i got it 8weeks ago i have averaged 40mpg with mixed driving and on a good run if you are reasonably gentle 45mpg is achievable.

Reactions: greglogan
Owned my 2010 PFL for 12 mths and average 38mpg.

Don't often dawdle either.:whistle2:

Ha that's not bad Swanny. Do you know if all the 245bhp cars are S-Tronic or where any of them Multitronic?

I thought the multitronic was not available in the 3.0 but someone will confirm.

'Scuse my stupidity.......

but what's the difference between tiptronic and DSG. I thought they were both the same???

And following on with another stoopid question.......are all DSG gearboxes 7 speed or are the older ones 6

The reason I ask is that I am about to put a deposit on a 2009 A5 3.0 Quattro that the dealer tells me is s Tronic. I know dealers tend not to be the most accurate with their descriptions sometimes, mostly out of a lack of knowledge, but I'm determined to get the S-Tronic and not the Multitronic (had one before on an A6 - ugh!) and i hadn't heard of tiptronic till now lol!!! Anyway, is there an easy way to tell if it's tip or s-Tronic? Was tiptronic ever offered with paddle shift at the wheel or is that s-Tronic only??

Thanks for the info guys - mucho appreciated :)

Last edited:
Tiptronic gearboxes are the traditional auto gearboxes with a torque convertor. The S tronic gearbox is a DSG gearbox, S tronic and DSG are the same.
Multitronic gearboxes were offered on the 190bhp 2.7 TDI but they can't handle the power / torque from a 3.0 TDI.
Audi have stated that the multitronic gearbox will be phased out as it has reached the end of it's development and future autos will be DSG boxes, with the odd tiptronic auto used in high torque / power cars.
I am sure in the future the tiptronic auto will be replaced as well by DSG boxes .

Karl.

No empirical evidence to support this claim but I would suspect that in day to day usage you wouldn't notice the difference in economy between pre- and post-facelift despite the revision of CO2 figures suggesting otherwise. IMHO all the revision really means, at least in the main, is that Audi worked out how to do better at the test with no benefit to real world conditions or, worst case, a slight detriment to real world conditions.

As above it seems that in the real world there will be a small increase in fuel economy, but it seems in more recent years the difference between the claimed fuel economy and actual fuel economy achieved is widening.
The manufacturers are making subtle changes to the engines such as controlling the oil pressure so that the pump doesn't produce excessive pressure when it's not needed. Or having multiple coolant paths in the block /cylider head to enable faster warm up. Also management of alternator loading can give fuel saving. The latest fuel economy tyres etc etc.
The biggest fuel savings are coming from weight savings though. I read an article recently that said the new Q7 was on a like for like basis something like 300Kg lighter than the old models. That can go a big way towards fuel saving and improving performance.

Thanks guys. It would seem that the dealer has mistakenly quoted the car as having a DSG box when I think based on the emmsions it's a Tiptronic gearbox. As the car is in Nottingham and I am in Belfast and won't have an opportunity to test before flying over with a view to buy, is there a noticeable difference between the 2 'boxes. I've never driven a DSG before, but have owned both CVT and conventional autos.

Opinions????

Ask the dealer to send you a picture of the sticker from inside the service book (or under the boot carpet). You can then find the code for the gearbox and someone will be able to tell you the code to look for.

I think the DSG boxes came in around 2010 so a 2009 car is liable to be tiptronic
According to parkers the transition date was May 2010

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/audi/a5/coupe-2007/

As you say you should be able to tell tiptronic from DSG by the co2 output. The DSG box is essentially an automated manual gearbox so you don't get the fuel cost penalty associated with a torque convertor on a traditional auto gearbox.
The tiptronic cars co2 is 180 odd where as the DSG cars are 170 odd. This means Tiptronic cars have a slightly higher road tax of £225 compared to £205 on the DSG cars.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/audi/a5/coupe-2007/running-costs/

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a5-s5-coupe-sportback-a5co-eu-2009-gearbox/

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a5/18538/audi-a5-30-tdi-coupe

The tiptronic box is likley to be as reliable as a DSG, all auto gearboxes have potential issues with reliability due to the complexity but they are not as bad as the multitronic.

Karl.

Cheers guys. The car I had picked was near perfect for what I'm looking for but when I found out that it was Tiptronic rather than S-Tronic as advertised, I decided to change to a newer one instead. So, I head to Nottingham on Friday week to pickup a 2010 A5 Sportback 3.0TDI S-Line DSG. Followed by a 5 hour drive to Cairnryan after - should be fun!

thanks for the help

:)